• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just an FYI for now...

The NWI INGO group has been looking for a resturant to do a "meet & eat OC/CC". One of our members (let's call him "1" for now not sure if "1" wants to remain nameless or not.) In any case this is "1"'s current report.

OC'd into the bar area and got some looks. When I asked to talk to the manager the bartender described me as the guy with the gun. When the manager came out he stated that he had been told of my presence and stated that he has never seen anyone carry a gun before... He was a nice guy and said he would like to have us there for lunch or something, but he was not sure about "corporate views" on "weapons" in the restaurant. I dont know if this was BS to make it sound like he cared or if it was true. I kinda felt a little disrespected by the fact that the employees description of me was they guy with the gun. Granted I was at the bar, and I did have a nice Jack and coke as I always do, I was not drunk and not intending on becoming drunk, just a nice drink with my meal.

But yeah, that is what is going on with RR. The manager too my number down and said he would give me a call when he finds something out. I figure I will give him until Wednesday to get an answer then I think it would be best to move on to a different location.

So while I wait for "1" to get back at me I figure I send RR an email via their website. Said email/comment below.

Dear customer service,
    Wanted to tell you that your food is great! Your burgers are always yummy no matter what time of day I've gone. The reason for me writing is I wanted to know what your policy is regarding customers with firearms in your resturants? I did know see any signs on your resturant saying no firearms allowed when I have gone to them. Does your resturant allow customers to carry firearms conceled or visible provided the customer is legally able to have a firearm. In the case of Indiana a handgun license is needed to carry a handgun but no license is needed for rifles or shotguns.
    Thank you for your time and I would appreciate an answer to my question.

---
    So now the waiting game begins. Anyone ever have an issue with RR?

Just got an auto-email from RR saying thank you for the comment someone will get back to you shortly.
    Here is their HQ address BTW.

Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Inc.
    6312 S. Fiddlers Green Cir., #200N
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111
    (303) 846-6000
    http://www.redrobin.com

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have eaten at the RR in Plainfield and the one at 106th and Michigan with no issues while carrying open.

Personally, I would have just asked the manager how they handle large groups (reservations, meeting room, etc..) and not brought up the nature of the group until the end. Let him see dollar signs and some possible repeat business. If he waffles (like this guy did), then mention I'm also looking at <insert local competitor> for our group get-togethers.

Now I'm hungry for a Royal Red Robin!

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I have carried many times into the Red Robin out in valpo without so much as a weird look... anecdotal evidence I know, but thats just been my experience.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    it is alot easier if you can find a venue with side rooms, we have gun clubs come in my restaurant a couple times a year, we just bring all the long guns through the side doors. I also had a ar-15 buld party scheduled that unfortunately fell through due to the FFL. Anyway, the side rooms keep the "nosy ones" quiet and everyone is happy. just my .02

usaguy2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    STOP ASKING FOR PERMISSION!

Just do it!

Just call ahead and tell them you have a party of 14 or whatever the number is, show up, tip well and they will love to have you back.

haha i agree man :yesway:... They will be like, "yeah all these guys with guns come in and tip well and never cause any trouble!" Heck maybe if your in the right neighborhood you may make the people feel safe having good people with guns around :dunno:

:twocents:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    We have eaten at the RR in Plainfield and the one at 106th and Michigan with no issues while carrying open.

Personally, I would have just asked the manager how they handle large groups (reservations, meeting room, etc..) and not brought up the nature of the group until the end. Let him see dollar signs and some possible repeat business. If he waffles (like this guy did), then mention I'm also looking at <insert local competitor> for our group get-togethers.

Now I'm hungry for a Royal Red Robin!

This is what we (hum.. the person who tends to be our go to in setting these up) have done in the past with various other local places to eat.

I'm torn on this issue of resturant policy vs "my right". Sure it's my right to defend myself anywhere and I choose to use a firearm to do it. At the same time I do see the right of xyz place to say "hey this is my place and you can't have a firearm, or bring droids, or have a cellphone on in here". It's then my choice to pay for their service without "x" item on me or take my money elsewhere.

Yeah we could have walked in their OC/CC and probably would have been served with no issue but it is their (RR's) place and I would rather ask them first what their rules are before walking in. Now had it been a friend's house or a friend of a friend's house (ie another human) I probably would just OC and not say anything.

But for now it'll be the wait and see approach. I don't think any in our group is going to be walking in with a longgun. They better not unless we go eat in GARY! :laugh::eek:;)

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    We don't serve their kind here...!

047462c0.jpg

I think that you will be hard pressed to find a modern business that will say yes, please come (I can't think of one). At a minimum, you'll get a Starbucks reply of "whatever the law says..."

Companyspeak is garbage filtered through uncritical 'safety' minds from HR, PR and other neutered departments. I wish I could attend. Red Robin is one of my favorite places to go to... and birthday burgers are FREE!!!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What a crock of crap.

I stop organizing the Open Carry events in NW Indiana for a year or so and now we have to deal with this crap.

NEVER ASK PERMISSION.

Orgainize your meet up, schedule a secondary location (just in case, we've never needed it) and go meet/eat.

As to red robbin, I've never seen a sign and I've oc'ed into valpo more times than I can count and S'ville a few times as well.

Jedi, I'm trying to temper my response here, but you know better! You've been involved in enough of these and posted in enough of these threads to know what a bone headed move you made.

Also any letters to corporate come AFTER the local jerks you around.

I am high disapointed and annoyed. Mostly because it always falls on me to clean up the mess you people make here in NW Indiana when this sort of b.s. goes on.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm not mad at you Prometheus nor take offense at your post. I'm not the one who went to talk to the RR manager just the one that contacted RR for their side after reading the perosn' comments.

I will toss the ball back to you and say. I would apprceiate it if you came to the MEET & SHOOTs we hold once a month and if you took up the MEET & EATs we are now doing again. I would like to put a face to the name finally. =) Organizing the MEET & SHOOT via the forums keeps me away from also doing the MEET & EATs as well. Actually I have more interest in doing the MEET & SHOOTs and getting new shooters there than the EATs.

We have not had one in a while and those at the last MEET & SHOOT looked at me to orginze one as well since I've been the one doing the MEET & SHOOT. I'm more than happy to have someone take up the project if they are going to do it consitently (ie monthly, bi-mothly, etc..) but when that does not happen (which is the current case) I will step in a do it, stumbling in the process in the eyes of some but doing it for the group anyways.

Again I'm not mad at your comments nor took offense to them.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I'm torn on this issue of resturant policy vs "my right". Sure it's my right to defend myself anywhere and I choose to use a firearm to do it. At the same time I do see the right of xyz place to say "hey this is my place and you can't have a firearm, or bring droids, or have a cellphone on in here". It's then my choice to pay for their service without "x" item on me or take my money elsewhere.

Exactly, you may have the right to carry but on private property the property owner has the right to so "not here", it is the same right as you have posting "No Solicitor" signs. You have the right not to spend your money there.

I dislike the idea of "just do it", why create a scene in front of a restaurant full of people creating a bad image just to prove a point that is wrong? We want people to see us as responsible citizens, not as an armed mob demanding service. Chances are you may turn a place that wasn't worried about concealed carry into a place with a no firearms sticker on the door. Do you walk into a stranger house and light a cigar? Same principle...it is the proper and courteous thing to ask first.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I agree with 451_Detonics, money talks and BS walks, to get the respect we want and just going in to a place OC isn't the way to get respect from the manager(s) and staff. You catch more flys with sugar than vinegar. If they say no, than we look for a another place to spend our money and tell RR to have a nice day.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Exactly, you may have the right to carry but on private property the property owner has the right to so "not here", it is the same right as you have posting "No Solicitor" signs. You have the right not to spend your money there.

Not exactly. They are a public accommodation (legal term). Individuals have Rights. Corporations are fictitious entities (legal term) and as such have no Rights. Not to be misunderstood with privileges.

The privileges afforded to corporations are completely different than Rights that an individual has. You can refuse a person into your house for ANY reason, including skin color, sexual preference, sex ect ect. Public accommodations can NOT.

I dislike the idea of "just do it", why create a scene in front of a restaurant full of people creating a bad image just to prove a point that is wrong? We want people to see us as responsible citizens, not as an armed mob demanding service. Chances are you may turn a place that wasn't worried about concealed carry into a place with a no firearms sticker on the door. Do you walk into a stranger house and light a cigar? Same principle...it is the proper and courteous thing to ask first.

Why not call ahead and see if blacks are welcome. How about calling ahead for your children? Are women-folk allowed?

I am honestly baffled at some of the responses in this thread.

Ignorance. Shame of your Right to self defense.

When I wonder why Indiana doesn't have the same laws as Alaska, Vermont or Arizona, I need only read thru threads like these.

Fear, paranoia and delusions.

Makes me ashamed to be a Hoosier. :ranton:

Jediagh: I stopped doing them when I moved, got too busy at work and half the people who said they'd show up never came (although we did always turn out at least half a dozen or so).

I'm not busy moving any more, but with a dead beat tenant at my old house, I spend my extra time working to pay two mortgages and enjoying my family.

Organizing OC events has dropped completely off my radar. Heck I can't even make a cigar night!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Not exactly. They are a public accommodation (legal term). Individuals have Rights. Corporations are fictitious entities (legal term) and as such have no Rights. Not to be misunderstood with privileges.

The privileges afforded to corporations are completely different than Rights that an individual has. You can refuse a person into your house for ANY reason, including skin color, sexual preference, sex ect ect. Public accommodations can NOT.

Why not call ahead and see if blacks are welcome. How about calling ahead for your children? Are women-folk allowed?

I am honestly baffled at some of the responses in this thread.

Ignorance. Shame of your Right to self defense.

When I wonder why Indiana doesn't have the same laws as Alaska, Vermont or Arizona, I need only read thru threads like these.

Fear, paranoia and delusions.

Makes me ashamed to be a Hoosier. :ranton:

Jediagh: I stopped doing them when I moved, got too busy at work and half the people who said they'd show up never came (although we did always turn out at least half a dozen or so).

I'm not busy moving any more, but with a dead beat tenant at my old house, I spend my extra time working to pay two mortgages and enjoying my family.

Organizing OC events has dropped completely off my radar. Heck I can't even make a cigar night!

Great post.

Top Bottom