• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not contending that current Indiana law (or any other current law) is the best approach, but with appropriate checks and balances, I believe that some sort of "red flag" law would be constitutional and would, in fact, be a good idea.

In theory (putting aside how exactly you prove it), if we knew that someone was threatening imminent violence or self-harm, taking away the means to inflict immediately inflict that harm is justified.

The problem, of course, and as always, is how to do this in a way that respects rights and does not give power to those who would lie to harm another. It's not at all an easy task.
    Seems the more effective solution would be to remove the person.

If someone was had seriously decided to cause harm to someone, does anyone think that they wouldn't be willing to acquire a weapon in another manner, or another manner of weapon?

These laws seem to be more about the perception of guns than actually protecting anyone.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Would there be a public record of how many times these confiscation warrants are asked for and how many are issued? I think everybody's concern is that this process would be "weaponized".

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

If someone was had seriously decided to cause harm to someone, does anyone think that they wouldn't be willing to acquire a weapon in another manner, or another manner of weapon?

These laws seem to be more about the perception of guns than actually protecting anyone.
    They’re about as useless as a protection order. It does not stop anyone from hurting some one else.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    This all comes down to us gun owners' PERCEIVED inability to secure our weapons. A few bad situations (as has been mentioned, Lanza, the Noblesville shooter) make us all seem like we just have tons of "assault weapons" and a "hordes of ammunition" laying around for the crazed relatives/neighbors to grab and do harm.

If we can prove our weapons are secured, why in the wide world of sports would they have any justification for confiscation when it is another individual who is purported to be the one that is the danger to society?

This is only half of the problem, because they can still claim the gun owner himself/herself is the dangerous one, and then all bets are off.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    For those of you OK with these red flag laws, just remember it took me 6 months & a lawyer to get back my pistol and I was only rear ended in a car wreck. No red flag confiscation. No warrant, no charges. Nothing but a slow walking, incompetent, 2A hating property room manager @ IMPD with staff that said "ha, sue us".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For those of you OK with these red flag laws, just remember it took me 6 months & a lawyer to get back my pistol and I was only rear ended in a car wreck. No red flag confiscation. No warrant, no charges. Nothing but a slow walking, incompetent, 2A hating property room manager @ IMPD with staff that said "ha, sue us".

Yeah...that's a problem with our system--even if you win, you still lose and they see no consequence whatsoever.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

It amazed me that the consensus in the other thread was that they would rather give up their guns to confiscation them to submit to a 72 hour hold.

Personally, the idea that I might spend years and tens of thousands of dollars (after I am no longer deemed a threat) to get mu possessions back. According to reports damaged and fired during custody.

I believe that if I was red flagged I would rather be put on a 72 hour watch. I think I could handle that. The key would to be calm. Show the professionals that I was not a threat to anyone.

I also believe that anyone in that situation must be made completely whole financially and have punitive recourse against accusers if applicable.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Per your (ahem) "request", I re-read the article (third time) and all of your posts in this thread.

While I would agree, it's not cause for "blaze of glory" time, I still fail to see how the circumstances, as described in the article linked in the OP (and summarized in my post), warrant the action taken to confiscate the property of Uncle X?

What, exactly, are you suggesting I'm missing here?

As I stated, they did the right thing in taking action, but I didn't agree on the confiscation hence I stated 'the process needs to be polished'. Then I posted 'Yup, they should have just taken the juve'. If these we're done on that Virginia tech, Adam Lanza and the Parkland case, huge chance that the shootings would have been avoided. That's why I also said if they had the accurate details, then taking action was the right thing to do.

Majority of the previous mass shootings were mental cases and inaction on the people around these nutcases.

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons

Care to share your case if it's already been closed?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

And this is exactly why I have zero faith in confiscated guns ever being returned. Cops have sticky fingers and frequently consider themselves above the law. If they want your guns for themselves, or they think they know better than the court, you're never getting your property back. The only way to win is not to allow confiscation in the first place.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This all comes down to us gun owners' PERCEIVED inability to secure our weapons. A few bad situations (as has been mentioned, Lanza, the Noblesville shooter) make us all seem like we just have tons of "assault weapons" and a "hordes of ammunition" laying around for the crazed relatives/neighbors to grab and do harm.

If we can prove our weapons are secured, why in the wide world of sports would they have any justification for confiscation when it is another individual who is purported to be the one that is the danger to society?

This is only half of the problem, because they can still claim the gun owner himself/herself is the dangerous one, and then all bets are off.
    Why should I have to prove my weapons are secured?

For that matter, why should I have to secure them?

What other possessions should I have to prove are secured? My vehicles? My fuel containers? My bags of fertilizer?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

So, your case is more on firearm detention rather than the actual red flag situation. I thought you've been a victim of false flagging.

It seems pretty clear what he was saying.

Top Bottom