• ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Who knew?

NSFW!!!

I saw this from the NRAAM and wasn’t optimistic. I mean people can’t keep them in with screws and loc tight so not sure how this would be better

But I’ll wait. I’m sure it will make it all of 3 minutes in a Sage Dynamics range trip!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Who knew?

NSFW!!!

I looked at these closely at the NRA convention. I thought it was a good, inovative idea. The magnet seemed pretty strong. You replace the pistol's rear sight with a rear sight that comes with the red dot. The red dot hooks on to the sight and the magnet holds the dot down. It may be another option rather than having your slide milled.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I saw this from the NRAAM and wasn’t optimistic. I mean people can’t keep them in with screws and loc tight so not sure how this would be better

But I’ll wait. I’m sure it will make it all of 3 minutes in a Sage Dynamics range trip!
    The guy in video said he didn't use loctite

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have several guns with red dots. The only one I had come off is one that I somehow used the wrong sized screws and there were only 2 threads holding it onto the plate. That one came off and smacked me right in the middle of my forehead. I deserved it. Glad it was just a range gun and that I hadn't done that on a carry gun ;)

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I use Holosun 407/507's on my defensive and hunting pistols. I also use Sightmark Mini-Shot Pro M-Spec on my range guns and hunting shotguns. They are cheaper in price than the Holosun's by quite a bit and have held up just fine to 3.5" 12 gauge turkey loads.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I thought in a recent red dot conversation we kinda went back and forth on what actually belongs on a pistol here in the new century.
    IIRC you guys were like “oh, you mean miniature red dots” and I’m just like “no, whatever goes on pistols in this century”.

All in good fun though.
    Wow can't believe it's been a year since this post.
    Most of the discussion was for fun IIRC. I seriously doubt many want to use an RDS the size of an ACOG on their handguns anymore.

For training, and practice I've been using this on my Dagger. I got it on a 50% off sale. IIRC it was a Christmas sale in 2022.

So far well worth it to see how I like the idea of an MRDS on a edc style handgun. I didn't want to spend $350-400, and find out I didn't care for it for an edc pistol. So $150 was a good deal for an experiment.

It's done great. Only down side is the battery is on the bottom, and must remove the MRDS to replace it. I put a Energizer in it to start. It's held up great.
    I've got well over 500rds on it so far. Not much but I think it's a decent indicator it may hold up.
    Plus Jake has a lifetime warranty on it, and top notch customer service.

20230610_171658.jpg

Now that I've gotten some time behind it. Drawing and firing it. I plan on getting a 507comp for my CZ P10F. Which is my EDC .
    I've got a long way to go yet to become proficient so I'll probably hold off putting it on until I get very good with a MRDS on my practice gun.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I've yet to lose one of several over the course of several years. I think lack of knowledge in the use of loctite and sub standard mounting screws account for a huge percentage of the "dismounts" reported. I would be curious to try one of the setups but I don't see a good reason for a magnet setup?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I've yet to lose one of several over the course of several years. I think lack of knowledge in the use of loctite and sub standard mounting screws account for a huge percentage of the "dismounts" reported. I would be curious to try one of the setups but I don't see a good reason for a magnet setup?
    I’d say you’re probably right. It use to be when you saw a Glock or similar have issues in a class or match it was YouTube gunsmithing non OEM parts or thinking they knew how to fix stuff.

Now that mentality has moved into mount in RDS. Same stuff happens with scopes on rifles by average folks that don’t know what they don’t know and think they are immune from the law of physics!!!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Never tried the vortex but I've got a 507k X2 on my 43 and an 2 Trijicon RMR's on a 19 and a 17. I honestly prefer the holosun. Had I tried them sooner I wouldn't have got the RMRs.
    I have to agree with this. I have an RMR, a Romeo 1 Pro, a 407c and a 407K. The Sig optic is at the bottom of the list, but between the Holosuns and the RMR, the only thing I like better about the RMR are the buttons, and even then the Holosun's button design isn't bad. The glass is clearer, the dot is better defined (at least to my eye), and most importantly you don't have to remove the optic from the slide to change the battery. Reliability between the two is a wash, as I've had zero problems with either of them (can't say the same for the Sig).

I know they're Chinese, but it's simply a better product...and that's better on its own merits even before you factor in the fact that it only costs half as much.

Top Bottom