• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I am thinking I'd like to try a red dot on my AR with 3-4x magnification. I don't want to put out the $$$ for an EOTech. I'm thinking something under $150. Anything out there worthwhile?

Matt

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Between price, quality and magnification, it feels like you are pushing me towards a scope
    I didn't want to go to a scope but that may be the better choice. I really wanted to stay open sights but a few range days let me know much past 50yds my vision of target just doesn't cut it. I thought that maybe a mag'd red dot would get me where I'm happy but cost to get what would make me happy isn't in reach. I guess I'll pull one of my other scopes and mount it on my AR and try it out.

Thanks, Matt

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    The magnifier on the vortex is garbage. I tried it when i first got it and put in the box and never touched it again. Its like looking through a straw. The vortex has been a good red dot for the money but i recently picked up an aimpoint pro and have been sold ever since but its over double the $... I prefer a good 1-4 30mm scope. I run a burris xtr 1-4 and really like it but there are many great scopes out there for the money like the vortex 1-4 or a bushnell 1.25-4 4200 series with the german reticle and illuminated dot, etc. I think you will be dissapointed with the cheap magnifiers like the one on the vortex strikefire . Dont get me wrong im not knocking the strikefire its been great, just its magnifier.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Its pretty rare you see a negative review on the Strikefire. Most of the time when you do see a negative review its someone talking about how its not as nice as their Aimpoint (which its not, but its not 400 bucks either)
    This is so true! I have both. Is the Aimpoint better? I honestly can't tell. They both do the job and hold zero so I guess it comes down to how much you can afford.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The magnifier on the vortex is garbage. I tried it when i first got it and put in the box and never touched it again. Its like looking through a straw.

Agreed. The magnifier is a free bee that comes with it, and its worth just that. IMO if you want a red dot, get a red dot, if you want magnification get magnification.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Primary Arms has the Burris TAC30 Scope 1-4 x 24mm Illuminated Ballistic CQ Reticle on sale for $219.77

https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris-TAC30-Scope-14-x-24mm-Illuminated-Bal-p/bu200433.htm

Primary Arms 1-6X Scope with ACSS Reticle "Advanced Combined Sighting System" $249.99

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-6X-Scope-with-ACSS-Reticle-p/pa1-6xrbd.htm

Primary Arms 1-4X 24 Illuminated Scope $119.99

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-4X-24-Illuminated-Scope-PA14X-p/pa14x.htm
    clear1x1.gif

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Agreed. The magnifier is a free bee that comes with it, and its worth just that. IMO if you want a red dot, get a red dot, if you want magnification get magnification.

I have one this set up, with that beening said dose anyone offer a better magnifier that will srew on to the Vortex??

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Top Bottom