• ...and so much more!
  • EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Support The Salvation Army instead.

The Salvation Army was over in the boonies in 'Nam where I was, and the red cross just sent shoebox care packages of cigarettes, combs and tooth brushes and some white skivvies. Salvation Army chicks sure look good in those uniforms. But they cry easily.
    War crimes News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip - Kotaku
    Next game: Call Of Duty: War Crimes-The Hague Edition.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The Salvation Army was over in the boonies in 'Nam where I was, and the red cross just sent shoebox care packages of cigarettes, combs and tooth brushes and some white skivvies. Salvation Army chicks sure look good in those uniforms. But they cry easily.

My Dad always said the same thing. He was in the South Pacific in WW2. He said if the Red Cross did anything for them, they would harass the guys for their costs back for whatever they had done. He said the Salvation Army would help them and never ask for anything back.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My Dad always said the same thing. He was in the South Pacific in WW2. He said if the Red Cross did anything for them, they would harass the guys for their costs back for whatever they had done. He said the Salvation Army would help them and never ask for anything back.
    Yup...

Still true today as well...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    This is false. Modern warfare does not teach anything of tactics. Might teach flanking, but that's about it as far as mil applications go. Violent video games? Define violent?

I think Mario dropping his butt on a goomba is far more violent than a soldier I'n a video game shooting a potential enemy. If kids thought what they were doing was real...we would have far more kids shooting people. As is, it's only kids with an altered sense of reality or who have antisocial or socioathic personality.

The chemicals you speak of? What are they? And how are they any different from normal chemicals?

You body releases dopamine, adrenaline, endorphines, etc. All of which can be triggered by many things...and all of which have a characteristic disorder associated with high/low levels

To say that the chemicals released from a game causes a kid to go shoot someone is like saying the adrenaline rush from watching a scary movie is going to make someone put four knives through a glove and toent people I'n their dreams. Only way that's happening is with a deeper mental condition, not because they saw it I'n a movie...but because they didn't grasp that it was fiction or a bad idea.

WHOAH! Don't slip a groove, there, Zoot. I was providing alternate reasoning for the proposition that we pretty much all agree is dumb. You make my point about biochemical changes in the body from various sources and I had just seen on television a story about a study that had measured "changes in brain chemistry" as a result of playing 20 minutes of a violent video game. I have also read in various sources that young people who have been raised on video games take to newer technology - such as using modern tank gunnery tools, remotely piloted aircraft, and other wireless technology being introduced into the military - more easily than their counterparts who don't have the same experience. I don't believe I ever said that video gamers were learning strategy and tactics from the video games. What I DID say was that people do things for real the same way that they have practiced them - which, as I said, is a truism proven by many years of various types of instruction. Armed with this knowledge, it could be posited that adding the strictures of the Geneva Conventions to such video games MIGHT act to predispose future soldiers to a strict adherence to them. It may or may not be true, but remember, we're trying to divine the thinking of touchy-feely do-gooder types who, in large part, have no real-world experience to interfere with their idealistic theories.

Top Bottom