• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, after a weekend of digging through the basement with my dad to do some gun inventory. We found a box of approx 150 1911 MAGS that my father bought at a swap meet in the 1970s. Some of them have light rust, some are in USGI packaging. All 7rd'ers with flat floorplates.

Im wondering about bringing these back to life, what springs + possible new followers would you guys recommend?

Most appear in good condition, some new, some used.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I had those, I'd just use some very fine steel wool with a little CLP to remove the rust, clean 'em, and put them back together.

I wouldn't change followers. If you need new springs, Wolff is the source.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Wilson Combat makes rebuild kits with new springs and a new nylon follower. These are excellent kits, maybe even cheaper than buying new springs by themselves. A local store had the 7 round rebuild kits for $5.

Magazine Springs and Followers

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Why do you think they need to be rebuilt? Unless the springs are rusted or the inside of the bodies are rusted, they should be good to go.

I would try them first.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    If I had those, I'd just use some very fine steel wool with a little CLP to remove the rust, clean 'em, and put them back together.

I wouldn't change followers. If you need new springs, Wolff is the source.

Why do you think they need to be rebuilt? Unless the springs are rusted or the inside of the bodies are rusted, they should be good to go.

I would try them first.

i too would just clean them up and try them. you may be surprised. keep in mind that the feed lips and followers are intended for ball ammo.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana

I would try them first.

Some of them have rust on the outside of the body. I'm thinking their may be some inside of the mags/springs. They have literally been sitting in my dad's stuff in the basement since aprox 1970. Basement is sorta "wet" since we have a huge shower down there, we run a dehumidifyer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My initial guestimate it that they'll work better with the followers that came with them. As obijohn mentioned, the feedlips aren't going to match what you'd find on a Shooting Star or Wilson mag. Aftermarket followers probably won't gain you anything and may not fit properly.

Top Bottom