• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    Surely this is a thread already out there somewhere, but what do you guys like in the realm of compact 9s?

What has the least recoil, is the lightest and most reliable, easiest to use and most ergonomic?

surely no single gun fits this entire description, but what falls into a lot of them?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The Glock 26 is nice for all of that: It's recoil is minimal with it's twin spring system, compact, VERY accurate and ergonomically accurate as well. With extended magazines and extensions, it can be very comfortable to shoot.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport

iagree.gif
    Kahr PM9

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    The Glock 26 is nice for all of that: It's recoil is minimal with it's twin spring system, compact, VERY accurate and ergonomically accurate as well. With extended magazines and extensions, it can be very comfortable to shoot.

I've shot the 26 and it was ok. I was just unfortunately born a glock hater. I have nothing against them, they are reliable straight shooters. I have just sadly never cared for them. I however may attempt to change my mind in the near future.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

Agree.
    There is no more reliable semi-auto handgun than a Glock. A few attain Glock's legendary reliability, but none exceeds, and 100% reliability is minimum for a defensive firearm.
    For the G26, suggest Pearce PG-2733 (+1 round) or PG-39 (+2) magazine extensions, which give a place for the "pinky" finger.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I've shot the 26 and it was ok. I was just unfortunately born a glock hater. I have nothing against them, they are reliable straight shooters. I have just sadly never cared for them. I however may attempt to change my mind in the near future.

I agree with the anti-glock :D

There are many others that are low recoil/reliable/accurate:

I don't know how large you consider "compact" but the Beretta Cougar/Stoeger Cougars are an excellent gun. The rotating barrel assembly is accurate, they are chrome lined for longevity, the recoil assembly makes 9mm an absolute breeze and sucks the snap out of .40.

The Subcompact Beretta PX4 is nice, but try holding/shooting it before getting it, it's grip is something some folks are not hip to. It does not have the PX-4 or Cougar's rotating barrel, but it is a very accurate, controllable gun.

If you can find a Smith 39XX series gun, JUMP ON IT! They are phenominal single stack 9mms with excellent ergonomics and great accurate, plus they are SLIM.

I am not a Kahr fan, after having a few of them. Their reliablity with some models leaves much to be desired (the CW9 wasn't bad, but the CW45 I had was a nightmare), plus their upper lines are expensive. They are excellent carry guns, very thin and single stack.

Notice I did not jump on the PF9 from Keltec? I do not consider them "low recoil" for 9mm. They are decently accurate, but need some buffing sometimes to make them reliable. They give me palsy hand after 25 rounds, NoGo in my mind for carry or extended range time (why carry a gun if you cannot practice with it effectively?). They are good, but not what I would consider "low recoil" or "comfortable".

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Surely this is a thread already out there somewhere, but what do you guys like in the realm of compact 9s?

What has the least recoil, is the lightest and most reliable, easiest to use and most ergonomic?

surely no single gun fits this entire description, but what falls into a lot of them?

Before someone else says it, my advice is to head to a gun store and handle as many firearms as possible. Even better if you can rent and shoot the ones that feel good in the hand.

Felt recoil, easiest to use, ergonomic, etc... all is dependent on the shooter. What might seem easy to use to me and feel good in the hand, another shooter might think the use is complex and feels awful in the hand.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Someone mentioned the Ruger SR9, HUGE PLUS 1! They are phenominal guns for the price. Very ergonomic, relaible when broken in and with some buffing the trigger is an absolute crisp light wonder from the factory.

The SR9C is a good accurate gun, mags are pretty easy to get and reasonably priced compared to other brands. In all honestly, The SR9 is so slim, I would have no qualms of carrying it OVER the SR9c!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Notice I did not jump on the PF9 from Keltec? NoGo in my mind for carry or extended range time (why carry a gun if you cannot practice with it effectively?). They are good, but not what I would consider "low recoil" or "comfortable".

:yesway: Agree!!! That's why I practice with mine effectively...that way it's good and it's comfortable...albeit it is not a range gun. :twocents::popcorn:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Before someone else says it, my advice is to head to a gun store and handle as many firearms as possible. Even better if you can rent and shoot the ones that feel good in the hand.

Felt recoil, easiest to use, ergonomic, etc... all is dependent on the shooter. What might seem easy to use to me and feel good in the hand, another shooter might think the use is complex and feels awful in the hand.

:+1: Everybody is different so what works for one person might not work for another. My personal favorite is Glock. There are many choices out there so handle as many as possible and if you can shoot as many too and go with what feels best to you. Kahr cw9, Ruger sr9 and sr9c, Taurus pt111, KelTec, Springfield XD, Smith m&p, G19, G26, s&w sw990, Sig p229, Bersa, Beretta 9000s just to name a few. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    I have to put my two cents out there again on the m&p 9c. i don't care for the glocks either but i love my m&p9c. go figure. i just carry it in a cheapo nylon panckake holster. barely know it's there.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    It entirely depends on your budget and definition of "compact".

I love Glocks, but don't consider G26 as compact.

I like the feel of the Kahrs, but for price versus performance, I find a hard time moving past my Kel-Tec P11. Crappy trigger, but 10 rounds that hit where I aim them at a decent speed. And actually "compact".

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks for the advice. there is a local range that allows gun rental. ill goi check out what they have and see what i like.

If the range doesn't have the particular gun(s) you want to shoot, just start up a new thread with those particular gun(s) and the INGO gang is pretty good about trying to meet up and let you fondle guns. There's plenty of posters who frequently offer up to meet a newbie purchaser with a particular gun so they can try it out.

Top Bottom