• ...and so much more!
  • ThatsTheOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Monroe County
    Good morning all,

I have Recently added a Taurus Judge to my gun collection. I'm looking for some input on different ammo for it, it's the Public Defender model and I've got some .410 pistol, .410 slug and .45 long colt for it. I'm not too familiar with the .410 or .45 LC but am willing to learn from someone who is, I have owned several hand guns just not one of the magnitude. Any input will be appreciated.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Well I hate to be a Debbie Downer but the Judge is a solution looking for a problem. It's kind of a Novelty Gun that serves no true purpose. I can't speak much on the .410 but the .45 Colt is a big old slow low pressure and low velocity round. As such it doesn't work so great out of snub-nosed guns IMHO. It's a lot like a BIG .38 Special. The dichotomy there was here you have a low velocity round and everyone wants to run them in short barreled guns. Short barrels don't help you in the velocity department and when you have a scant SMALL amount of velocity to begin with well....you get the idea.

Having said that there are a FEW good hollow-point loads available in the .45 Colt:

Here is one of the best and it features the famous "Flying Ash Can" bullet:

2-CCI3584 - Ammo .45 Colt Blazer Jacketed Hollow Point 200 Grain 1000 fps 50 Round Box

Here it is in Gold Dot config but with barely ANY velocity behind it and in EXPENSIVE 20 round boxes (UGGHHH):

2-CCI23984 - Ammo .45 Long Colt Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection Hollow Point 250 Grain 750 fps 20 Round Box

And here is probably the top option in .45 Colt for self-defense. It's Corbon's loading of the Flying Ashcan at a respectable 1100 FPS:

2-COR45C200 - Ammo .45 Long Colt +P Cor-Bon High-Velocity Jacketed Hollow Point 200 Grain 1100 fps 20 Round Box

Unfortunately it's also in crappy 20 round boxes AND it's marked:

"Not recommended for use in the Taurus Judge"

:(

Unless you just really like shooting this gun as a fun-gun (albeit expensive to feed!) I'd sell it and get something more practical.

Last edited:

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    What are you wanting to do with it? That's going to influence recommendations a lot.

I really wanted one, well actually the S&W version "The Governor", but never could figure out a use for it. I thought about using it as a farm gun for snake shot and whatnot, but ended up just loading snake shot rounds for my .44.

Its a cool concept, but like WebHobbit I haven't figured out any practical application that a traditional revolver won't do better.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    The guy asked for recommendations for ammo, he did not ask for criticism of the gun he has. Geez people, grow up a little, just because he does not own the gun you have does not make it bad.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    would avoid the corbon loadings they're hot, like +p+ hot.

And considering how I have seen how the lockwork is about the same size on the Judge as the Taurus Model 85 (J-frame) that trys to turn a solid steel beer can sized cylinder, the hot stuff frags 'em quick. We actually had a guy try to run a "Blackhawk or TC Contender only" round he had a "buddy load up" for him and fragged the hand AND pawl.

Sorry OP, but the gun is a novelty. If want accuracy with .45 LC, you need to get a dedicated .45 LC. You want decent power out of a .410, then get a .410 shotgun. Something that barely pushes .380 power out of a long barrel (like a .410 slug or buck) doesn't immediantly become a instantaneous cone of death with the Judge. Recoil and muzzle blast are not indicative of power or penetration on a bad guy.

That being said, I would love to try to do trap with one or get one for a .45 LC only piece.

ThatsTheOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Monroe County
    Thanks for everyones input on the gun and ammo. I got the gun as a novelty and to keep in my night stand but from the sounds of it I will be going back to a Glock or Sig before to long.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    as others have alluded to , shooting clays is a blast with this "novelty". A few of my family members and myself with take out the judges and shoot them. you have to be quick and understand that there is only so many pellets so sometimes even when "on target" you seem to miss ...... but its AWESOME

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Here Comes The Judge! Load some 410 bird shot and it's a GREAT night stand gun! Like horse shoes and hand gernades, close counts. My SIL has one and it's FUN to shoot!

Bird shot out of a Judge is confirmed to have less than 2" of penetration. I would ask that anyone who thinks the Judge is a serious self-defense weapon to read the testing done at this link:

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

It is a cool concept, a neat novelty, but its not even close to the best choice to defend yourself against anything other than snakes. If you DO choose to use it for defense purposes, apparently the .45LC is the way to go if you can handle the recoil.

Top Bottom