• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I recently bought a Sig P250 Sub compact. It is a double action only pistol so the trigger feels more like a revolver, but is super smooth and a great shooter. It is also is really simple to clean because the trigger firing assembley is all one piece. You can also get multiple claibers from sig for less than a new gun. I love the way the grip feels and it fit my small hands really well. Plus it holds 12 rounds. The disadvantages are their is little aftermarket support for holsters and extra mags are expensive.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Dont forget about the Springfield XD series. Probably the best "in the hand feel" pistol I have been around.

You cant go wrong with the Glock 19 though, or the 26 for that matter.

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Zionsville
    When my dad was looking to get his first pistol, I steered him towards a .38 so that he could stick it in a drawer and not worry about it. However, I took him out to shoot it and he found that in double action shooting, he had a harder time keeping the gun steady. If you take the time to shoot single action it's much easier. All that being said, he ended up going with a springfield xd in 9mm. I myself am trying to decide between the sr9c and the glock 19. I'm leaning towards a g19. Here is why. I am considering not only concealed carry, but also getting into competetion. I also don't ever want to worry about reliability and the sr9c doesn't have the track record as of yet. The sr9c does have the external safety which is a huge plus IMHO. Whatever you get, shoot often, get proficient, and practice with both and either hands in may different scenarios. You never know where you and your gun will be when you need it. Welcome and good luck

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    I don't know about the SR9c's reliability compared to a Glock, but the SR9 holds up well. Aside from a few obvious, and arguably inconsequential differences, the SR9 and the compact are very similar in construction. In one of his SR9 videos, nutnfancy took an SR9 and filled it with dirt and snow and it shot just fine. There are also accounts of people shooting the weapons at competitions in the desert and the SRs kicked out the dirt and sand and shot just fine.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    A friend of mine recently sold his xd40 and went with a PPS from Walther. It is a nice gun that is very accurate, light, and very thin compared to most 40s. I wouldnt over look that if I were in the market for another pistol. It has seemed to feed and cycle very smooth and is very easy to conceal. Nice piece really but the price is a bit steep in my opinion.

Gracesrun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Indiana
    I am a new gun owner and just went through the basic pistol course also. I bought a FNX-40. I chose this gun because it felt great in my hand and comes with four optional backstraps and three magazines (14 + 1 in the chamber) it has ambidexrious saftey and decocker. You can chamber a round and "decock" and put the weapon on safe which is a great saftey feature for a new shooter. Your first shot will be DA, then every shot after will be SA. I could not believe how accurate this gun is and had nice groups the first time I shot it. They also make a FNX-9 which my son has.
    In my opinion, it is definitely worth looking into.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I should have got a g-19...... I would also look into after market parts and accessories. I purchased a pt-145 for first semi-auto pistol and there isn't much I can do with it. Pay attention to trigger pull, weight etc.... Also if you go semi you may want a decocker. Shoot them before you buy....never be afraid to ask a friend or member to show you in person (range/outdoor) might only cost you ammo and some gas. Goodluck with what ever

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    i would go with a 9mm ammo is cheap you could go shooting for cheap to gey the hang of your gun. get what feels best to you as someone said earlier i would probaly go with something that has a safety just my preference to a new shooter

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks again for all the replies.

I took my NRA Basic Pistol class last weekend and got a chance to fire a Springfield XD, Glock G19, and a S&W Sigma 9mm. Firing the XD and G19 both felt better than the Sigma, but I have small hands and the grips just didn't feel write while shooting. When holding the SR9 at bradis a week ago I recall that it felt thinner in my hand, so I think I am going to go with the SR9C. Now I just need to find someone that has some in stock around the Indy area...

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :rockwoot:
    First off, props for taking a class :yesway:

And congrats on getting into gun ownership! Go for what feels best to you since it will be your gun. It is great that you got a chance to shoot a few different models to help you decide. I love Glock but they are not for everyone. The sr9c is a great handgun too. Good luck with your search

ejscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Hancock Co.- New Palestine
    well i am a ruger fan i have them in .40 and it really is not alot more than 9mm. i have a p94, and just bought a sr40 at highsmiths in greenfield. i know they have a sr9c in the store. they are good guys over there and will treat you right. you cant go wrong with a ruger, and the best thing is they are made in the good old U.S.A.

groundhog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Munster
    When selecting my first handgun, I created a short list of guns that would suit my needs for that particular purpose. Then I put each one in my hand and the one that was most comfortable was the one I went with. If nothing feels right, you should reconsider the list.
    :welcome:

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Any 1911 based model. Its like an AK, a old, proven design that you can beat the hell out of and it will eat what ever you put trough it. It was my first handgun, and is my favorite to this day. It was a Taurus in .45ACP, so nothing super fancy like a Kimber. It shouldnt matter what type of action you get, every gun should come with a manual and you owe it to everyone around you to read it trough. Learn your weapon before you shoot it. But as far as design goes, a 1911 or a XD is my suggestion. Both come in a range of calibers. Happy Huntin :D

Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    Ruger or S&W revolver my choice I agree with buying a 357 and shoot 38 special until you are accurate. Than move up to 357, great choice. Also, touch and feel all of them, pull the trigger, buy what feels comfortable.

Neezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    maybe go to a local gun show and handle as many guns as u can that fit your general needs or wants. make a short list of the guns that felt good in your hand. then start asking questions about some of these guns, you could get some really good and enlightening info. i know the feel of a gun isnt the only issue at hand, but it seems a decent place to start

Top Bottom