• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    AVG Free. I run it on 6 computers and it catches everything. And its not a PITA that requires 14 support programs like Norton.

oh and Its free

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I thought Norton WAS a virus? LOL Every computer that I repair... I start by removing Norton crapware.

I've used AVG Free for 12 years now and been virus free for 12 years.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    One of the best ways to protect yourself of course is to have an antivirus program, but that does not protect you from everything and will not protect you sometimes after you have been infected. SO.....

Let me give some advice, use a program called Sandboxie that you can download for free. It is a shareware to you should donate to get rid of the startup screen.

What it does is allows you to open any program, like Internet Explorer in a completely sand boxed environment. In other words, it copies over your registry settings, favorites, etc, into what is best described as a virtual disk drive. When you are done, you can erase the drive. I use this exclusively when on the net anymore and it has kept me from getting hit with something a couple of times. Whenever I am surfing and see something like the "your pc is infected click here", you already have had files saved to your PC. I just terminate all Sandboxie programs and erase everything and anything that was downloaded is gone. I have had my antivirus identify a viral attack, erased the sand box, and the antivirus cannot find the files it identified.

Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I have been running the free version of AVG for about 5 years now without any problems. It has done its job on more than one occasion. Can't beat FREE.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes on my PC.

I'll second these as I use them as well.

On one of my machines I use AVG free and have for the last several years, so I haven't taken the time to switch it over to Security Essentials, as I have not had any issues. However, on new machines that I've built in the last year I've been using Security Essentials without issue.

Malwarebytes is a nice utility to run periodically as well.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    quoted for truth. Converted to mac 4 years ago, not a single virus in that time period.:popcorn:

For at least a year I had no anti-virus on my PC laptop. Not a single virus in that period, only started acting weird once I downloaded some information for a class through the University I attend. Ended up needing to download some anti-virus to clean things up. I rarely update mine(maybe 2 times a year) and I haven't had anything since. I avoid downloading anything from websites I don't know and email addresses I don't know. Pretty easy to keep your computer clean.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Can you help me with how to remove norton and install AVG?

You need to download an unistaller from Norton. Choose the correct version of Norton on your system:
    Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product | Norton Support

AVG installs itself. This is the link to the FREE Windows version download at CNET.
    AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 - Reviews and free AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 downloads at Download.com

Download AVG, then remove Norton with the uninstaller, then install AVG.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    You need to download an unistaller from Norton. Choose the correct version of Norton on your system:
    Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product | Norton Support

AVG installs itself. This is the link to the FREE Windows version download at CNET.
    AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 - Reviews and free AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 downloads at Download.com

Download AVG, then remove Norton with the uninstaller, then install AVG.

Thank you!:yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom