• Which suppressor should I get?

• Total voters

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Currently, I'm working on getting my first stamp (SBRing an AR pistol that is already built). Secondly, I will be getting a suppressor in 5.56, for the AR and a Remington 700 that is waiting for a suppressor to hug it, squeeze it, and call it George. The problem is, I'm stuck. The HA Kestrel seems nice as does the Gemtech Trek. I have found another company (Liberty Cans) who has a suppressor that is 1/2 inch longer that the Trek, for the same price. Obviously, it adds weight, but what's 2.5 oz? Anyone ever heard of Liberty Cans? I debated the Spikes Tactical MRS-1 for my SBR build, since it is 100% ST, but $700 for a suppressor that is the smallest and almost the heaviest of what I compared, is ridiculous. I guess that will depend on how much balance I need in the front once I throw the stock on it. So what's everyone's recommendation on cans? I have a poll and if you recommend something else, let me know what you recommend. I am buying two suppressors, but this poll is for my first one. Please keep it under $700, I want less than $1000 into it after the stamp as well.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just curious but is there a reason why you want a 556 can over a 30 cal can? I am not a big NFA guy, but from what I've seen 30 cal can get the same decibel levels as a 556. And then you can still use it on larger calibers and lots of other guns.
    I shot a saker 762 on a 556 last week and it was great. Just curious here is all as it's always been my way of thinking but obviously a lot of the 556 are sold and people want them.
    I'm interested in the poll and what people have to say who have experience with several...

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Whatever you do, do NOT buy anything Huntertown. Do a quick Google search and you'll find out why. You can thank me later.

YHM .30
    Saker 7.62

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Currently, I'm working on getting my first stamp (SBRing an AR pistol that is already built). Secondly, I will be getting a suppressor in 5.56, for the AR and a Remington 700 that is waiting for a suppressor to hug it, squeeze it, and call it George. The problem is, I'm stuck. The HA Kestrel seems nice as does the Gemtech Trek. I have found another company (Liberty Cans) who has a suppressor that is 1/2 inch longer that the Trek, for the same price. Obviously, it adds weight, but what's 2.5 oz? Anyone ever heard of Liberty Cans? I debated the Spikes Tactical MRS-1 for my SBR build, since it is 100% ST, but $700 for a suppressor that is the smallest and almost the heaviest of what I compared, is ridiculous. I guess that will depend on how much balance I need in the front once I throw the stock on it. So what's everyone's recommendation on cans? I have a poll and if you recommend something else, let me know what you recommend. I am buying two suppressors, but this poll is for my first one. Please keep it under $700, I want less than $1000 into it after the stamp as well.

Whatever you buy, if you are local, buy from Beech Grove Firearms.....

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have really been impressed with theunderbeast suppressors. U.S. Defense Solutions in greenwood has some in stock and also some other rifle suppressors. Also there are some you can demo there if you call ahead so they have the right platform there to shoot it. Best in-stock suppressor selection in the Indy area and they can order you anything they don't have in stock. Will help you fill out all your paperwork and mail it. Very knowledgable staff.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Have you thought about building your own Form 1 suppressor? It's not hard if you have some hand tools and a pinch of mechanical aptitude. It's currently a ~3-4 month wait when using e-file. You could build a Titanium can starting around a couple hundred bucks in parts.

Hardware

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    My reasoning for a 5.56 can, as opposed to something bigger is the fact that I shoot 5.56/.223 and that's it. This suppressor is going to be dedicated to my 700 in .223. I'm still debating one for an SBR and debating one for a 9mm. I have no problem spending money on stuff that I'll use, but I don't want to spend money with the thought of upgrading to a bigger round. My next one may be a bigger caliber, but for now I want to keep it in 5.56.

The Saker is out. It's twice the price that I want to spend. I could buy two suppressors for that price.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Whatever you do, do NOT buy anything Huntertown. Do a quick Google search and you'll find out why. You can thank me later.
    Unfortunately this is the truth... their reputation has taken a land-slide in the last couple years. Poor customer service, shady dealings with dealers, and just plain lack of response/communication are all some of the more serious things I've heard. I really wanted to see them succeed (who doesn't want to see a Hoosier company succeed?), but it looks like they're doing a great job of doing themselves in...

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I voted "Other", and repeat the above mentioned benefits of the Saker 7.62 with the .223 endcap. I only have a .223 also, but if I ever get the urge to suppress a .30 cal, I'm covered. Two suppressors in one! Maybe pricey, but you get two for one!

Unfortunately this is the truth... their reputation has taken a land-slide in the last couple years. Poor customer service, shady dealings with dealers, and just plain lack of response/communication are all some of the more serious things I've heard. I really wanted to see them succeed (who doesn't want to see a Hoosier company succeed?), but it looks like they're doing a great job of doing themselves in...

I've read all the bashing of HTA, and maybe righfully do, but my first suppressor was their Guardian 22 with aluminum baffles. It was INEXPENSIVE, works great, was INEXPENSIVE, easily cleanable, INEXPENSIVE, very quiet, and did I mention it was INEXPENSIVE? There's the old adage, "You get what you pay for", and I can state that I've gotten more than my $$'s worth out of this can. I've had absolutely no need for their (supposedly lack of) customer support, as I find the suppressor to work flawlessly - I've just had no need. Maybe I'm just lucky!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    another vote for a 30/762 can, even if it doesn't have the 5.56 endcap option. I went with a straight 5.56 for my first and would LOVE to be able to go back and change that decision.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    another vote for a 30/762 can, even if it doesn't have the 5.56 endcap option. I went with a straight 5.56 for my first and would LOVE to be able to go back and change that decision.

:+1:

A lot of high quality 30 cal cans give just as much suppression as their 556 counterpart. Lot of options too, especially those with QD, which you'd want to make it easier to change hosts between your AR and the 700 bolt gun.

I'd like to see someone local get a Sig suppressor and give a detailed review on it though :thumbsup:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

A lot of high quality 30 cal cans give just as much suppression as their 556 counterpart. Lot of options too, especially those with QD, which you'd want to make it easier to change hosts between your AR and the 700 bolt gun.

I think the price on the AAC 762-sdn-6 has come down into the ~$750-$850 range, but I haven't been paying close attention...

very happy with mine. a tad heavy on the .556 SBR AR, but that's the only downside. I now have a .308 AR also. :)

-rvb

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I think the price on the AAC 762-sdn-6 has come down into the ~$750-$850 range, but I haven't been paying close attention...

very happy with mine. a tad heavy on the .556 SBR AR, but that's the only downside. I now have a .308 AR also. :)

-rvb

just for comparison, $850 right now at silencer shop. Yes, I recommend local, but just for a price point. They also have the omega at $880, which is a pretty light can.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

I'd like to see someone local get a Sig suppressor and give a detailed review on it though :thumbsup:
    Honestly, the SIG is near the tail of the list on price. However, they're very near the top of the list when I get one for a handgun. :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've read all the bashing of HTA, and maybe righfully do, but my first suppressor was their Guardian 22 with aluminum baffles. It was INEXPENSIVE, works great, was INEXPENSIVE, easily cleanable, INEXPENSIVE, very quiet, and did I mention it was INEXPENSIVE? There's the old adage, "You get what you pay for", and I can state that I've gotten more than my $$'s worth out of this can. I've had absolutely no need for their (supposedly lack of) customer support, as I find the suppressor to work flawlessly - I've just had no need. Maybe I'm just lucky!
    I don't want to detract from the OP too much but I think this is pertinent info.

Yes, you mentioned it was inexpensive, but do you realize that there are numerous other companies that make inexpensive suppressors that DON'T drop the ball on customer service. You can pay $250 to a company that is going to take your money and run or even screw you over by sending a product that was NOT what it was supposed to be vs. you can pay $250 to a company that will bend over backwards to make sure you're happy for years to come. Which company sounds better? Remove this completely from any "specific" situation, the 2nd company sounds better, right? Now re-insert into this situation, the 2nd company would be a company like Thompson Machine etc, and the first would be like HTA...

You can get a similar, high-quality product for the same price-point from companies that have a MUCH better reputation and a MUCH better likelihood of not failing.

Disclaimer: I have not had any personal problems with my HTA can and/or their customer service (because I haven't had to use it). I am only repeating other INGO member's accounts of problems with them and a personal friend (and the dealer I bought my can from) that used to work for HTA indirectly. The longer it goes on the more and more shady they seem to be... I'll spend my money elsewhere from now on...

Top Bottom