• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    I've been wanting to pick up a 22 rifle for awhile now. Yesterday went to Wilbur Wright with some friends and now I really want one. It's too much cheap fun not to, right?

The one I really liked was a Remington 581S, but it's been discontinued and I haven't really seen any used ones around. Another guy had a 597, which was nice, but it jammed every 5th shot or so. Maybe just the ammo, but I would rather not have a gun that did that.

What is out their that would be similar to the 581S and what should I expect to pay for something like that?

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I'm bias since it's what I have, but a CZ 452 Lux is just an awesome shooter. You can't go wrong with any of the CZ 452's.

Also an old Mossburg like a model 44, 46, 151, etc... are excellent shooters.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The CZ is nice but don't forget to look at the ruger 77/22, you can get classic blue and wood or modern stainless and zytel,

I have a blue wood 77/22 and very happy, I've had it for about 15 years or so and it shoots well with a varity of ammo and from the factory had an acceptable trigger, not great but acceptable, there are aftermarket goodies for the 77/22, the only 2 CZ's I've played with had terrible triggers but they got cleaned up by a smith and the other aspects of the rifle are nice,

I don't know current prices for either right now sorry

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    CZ is discontinuing the 452 line in favor of a 455 line. Mostly minor differences. For mid-grade BA .22's, CZ is at the top of the heap, followed very closely by Savage.

Upper end gets into the sako quad, etc.

LCPer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can find a Remington Model Five in .22 cal you might take a look at one. Bolt action five shot clip. Depending on the wood I think MSRP tops out at $363.00. You should be able to pick one up for less than MSRP. If Remington is still making them like they did 40-50 years ago your great grand kids should enjoy it also. :patriot:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke (12 January 1729 – 9 July 1797)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    If you can find a Remington Model Five in .22 cal you might take a look at one. Bolt action five shot clip. Depending on the wood I think MSRP tops out at $363.00. You should be able to pick one up for less than MSRP. If Remington is still making them like they did 40-50 years ago your great grand kids should enjoy it also. :patriot:

Savage Mk II with a synthetic stock can be had for about $170 new. With a nice wooden laminate stock they are about $250 :rockwoot:

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Dick's is running a special on Savage MkIIs with Accutrigger, bull barrel, thumbhole laminate stock, and 3-9x40 scope for $299. Last time they ran that sale, I bought one. Unbeatable value.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    +1 on the CZ's beautiful, rugged, and oh yeah, incredibly accurate.

The 581 was my first gun ever and that was one helluva rifle! I always wondered why it got discontinued. I paid $50 out of my skippy jar for it because someone painted it black for coon hunting (was $8 short, but pop figured he could spare the difference...) Also got my first lesson in stock refinishing!

The_Possumn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    indy/shakamak
    A friend has a CZ 452 that is great in every way, but as you know pricey. a coworker just picked up a heavy barrell savage bolt that is a tack driver, my borthers, my father and i have marlins, all of which are great (i love mine!) Bottom line, you can't really go wrong, but may I suggest a rifle made here in the states?

DDay47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    I have a Remington model five which is excellent but is no longer made. However there is a Zastava Z5 imported by USSG which is the exact same rifle. Should be able to get one for under 300.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Thanks guys. I picked up a Mk2 after work tonight on the Dicks sale. Looking forward to sighting it in!!

Congrats — you got the thumbhole stock, bull-barrel verison, I assume? (In Savage-speak, that's the BTV-XP, with "T" for thumbhole, "V" for varmint barrel, and "XP" for package with scope included.) You got a great value, and you'll love it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm bias since it's what I have, but a CZ 452 Lux is just an awesome shooter.
    OMG, that ^. I lurve mine. But I have a Savage MKII, too that is second in line for plinkin' luv.

I would recommend a Savage...
    They're good little shooters. I bought mine from Tatters and have never been sorry. I hope he knows it found a good home. :D
    Actually, I bought it for my daughter...she named it Schmee.

Top Bottom