• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    There is a reason that Ruger revolvers are often sought out to shoot extremely HOT loads, they are literally tanks that can take abuse that would destroy lesser revolvers.

You beat me to it! They all all beast! I've shot some HOT loads out of mine. Some of those same HOT loads crack the frame of a friends Taurus.

That being said, the Smith's have better triggers but cost quite a bit more (for a new one).

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There is a reason that Ruger revolvers are often sought out to shoot extremely HOT loads, they are literally tanks that can take abuse that would destroy lesser revolvers.

I am a Smith and Wesson junkie...But.....I picked up a 6 inch Ruger Security Six, blued 357 magnum yesterday because they are built like a tank. I wanted a "do anything .357 magnum" for our new property we bought in Perry County and it sure fits the bill.

I like the security six better than the gp 100 but I have no logic behind it. I like k frame Smiths better than L frame Smiths as well. Again..No logic just an opinion.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Heck, I just bought a S&W Model 10 from Bud's for $269. Nice classic police gun.

Used S&W Police Model 10 38sp Square Butt $269.00 SHIPS FREE

My first handgun, the one that I actually bought with my own money saved up when I was still a teenager (my dad had to buy it for me) was a S&W Model 66 stainless. I would still have it today, except it got stolen. I replaced with another Model 66 (a first model this time). They are beautiful revolvers.

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I just bought my first two revolvers, a Ruger SP101 3" and a LCR. I really enjoyed shooting the SP101 last weekend w/ 158gr 38 special, looking forward to trying out 357 magnum

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    My vote would be to look at the Rugers... either the Security Six or a GP100. Best guns for the money (my 2-cents worth anyway).

I like my Security-Six very much - both of them!

S&W, Colt, Ruger all make good quality guns... I have different likes and dislikes for all of them. However, for a "general use" revolver, I think the Ruger is hard to beat for the price.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I had a 6" barrel Ruger Security Six, in .357 (actually the very gun indiucky was raving about, funny enough). I loved shooting that gun, but it wasn't really great for home defense, compared to my CZ-75BD, and not feasible to carry without a 10 gallon Stetson.:tumbleweed::chuck::tumbleweed:

For car carrying, home defense, and target shooting, I'd go with any ruger, and feel free to go used. I paid $325 for mine, and it was in 95% condition. I'm a firm believer in my signiture...

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I love my model 66 S&W. That being said I hesitate to recommend a new one
    because of quality concerns. There are a lot on the used market and you don't have to get stainless, but I do recommend target sights till you get used to the trigger. Smith has one of the best factory triggers and can be tuned even sweeter. However double action
    [trigger cocking] takes some getting used to. You'll want to learn to do that well.
    I've never shot a Python but I have shot next to them in competition. They are very
    sensitive to dirt or powder residue and have a hard time shooting long sessions without
    cleaning. They are very accurate if you don't mind a fussy gun.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Lots of good suggestions so far. Just my $0.02: There are literally hundreds of choices out there on the used market but IMHO about any K or L frame model S&W .357 (4 or 6"), Ruger GP100 or Dan wesson M15-2 in good shape would fit the bill nicely. Many can be had for much less than your $700 upper limit, some for about 1/2 that amount.

I'll second the adjustable sights, too. Nothing is more likely to frustrate and discourage a beginning shooter than not hitting where they're pointing it, especially when they know they had the correct sight picture and didn't jerk the trigger. Fixed sights are only regulated for POA and POI to coincide at an arbitrary and specific range with one specific load. Even when that flavor of ammo is being used it's not unusual to find that a particular fixed sight revolver is "off" with your ammo, eyes and hold.

With adjustables you can dial it in for your ammo and your hold easily and quickly, Plus, you can do the same with any other ammo flavor you might want to try anytime.

Again, just MO but while the many of the Colt DA revolvers are indeed lovely machines parts and highly skilled service for most of them are getting very hard to find. Prices for decent condition examples, especially their high end products such as the Pythons and Diamondbacks have become prohibitive for most of us due to speculation and high collector interest. IIWY, I'd look elsewhere for an everyday shooting tool.

Top Bottom