• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Thoughts? As far as round size...I dont know anything about recolvers. What reasonably sized, yet inexpensive round would you recommend for a first gun/revolver? Pics would be awesome. :rockwoot:

Oh yeah, is there such thing as a full sized revolver? I think I like the longer ones better (that's what she said). :dunno:

Last edited:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I'm looking at a S&W 686 plus.

SW_0562sm.jpg

Last edited:

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thoughts? As far as round size...I dont know anything about recolvers. What reasonably sized, yet inexpensive round would you recommend for a first gun/revolver? Pics would be awesome. :rockwoot:

Reasonably sized depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're looking for a gun for the range and for home defense, many consider a 4 inch barrel to be a good size for balance, sight radius, and ballistics. If you're going to carry it as an edc, a 3" or 2" might be more concealable. Unless you're going to hunt with it, .357 magnum/.38 special will do everything you need it to. In case you don't know already, a revolver chambered for .357 will also shoot .38s but the reverse is not true. Aside from a .22, .38 special is about as cheap as revolver rounds get. Are you wanting to buy new or used? A lot of new Smith and Wesson might be pushing that $700 envelope. Ruger revolvers will be a bit less expene and their quality control is good, but some don't like the trigger pull as well as the S&W. Taurus is a low cost option, but they do have a reputation for poor quality control. I've never owned one so I can't speak from personal experience.

If used is an option, there are many good quality K frame Smiths for sale at gunbroker and other sites. You can pick up a good condition model 10 or 64 (.38 special) for under $400.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I'd stick with a .38/.357, anything else can get pricey to shoot unless you reload, and like Bartman said, there's very little a .357 can't do.
    At your price point, I'd take a look at the Ruger GP100. I've got a couple of 'em and I really like 'em.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    .357 is the way to go. You can shoot .38 Specials and get in some cheap range time.

You should look at the Rugers, Smiths and Taurus revolvers. Then when you decide to buy, you should buy a Colt.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with a main brand wheel gun.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    4" .357 Magnum. Shorter if you want to carry. Longer if you want to hunt.

Get the one that looks good to you.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have two Rugers; a SP101 and GP100, both .357. I carried the SP a lot until I got into semi-autos. They are good, solid guns. One thing I really like about the Rugers is the cylinder release. It is more natural for me to press than slide like the others.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used one. I just purchased a Colt 357 4" lawman from a guy on here for less then your willing to pay. Took it to the range Friday and loved it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ruger SP 101 in .357. Excellent weapon. Might want to have a trigger job before you carry it, but it is a solid, reliable, accurate weapon right out of the box. Powerful, too.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Pick up a used S&W model 65 in .357. Accurate, easy to shoot and should be a butter smooth trigger.

+1000

The S&W 65, .357 magnum with a 3 inch barrel is possibly the finest carry revolver ever made. If you look hard enough you can easily find great condition ones for well under the $700 the OP stated.

65springs01.jpg

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    So i'm watching The Walking Dead (NO SPOILERS!) and want a Colt Python. It's beautiful. But I have a feeling it's ridiculously out of my budget. :( I've heard theyre extremely desirable by collectors.

Top Bottom