• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm looking for a nice quality daypack. I will be using this as a carry on bag for my flight coming up. Nothing will molle loops or that will make me look like I'm an operator on leave from Koreit Nam. I'm not quite 40 yet so I don't want my first prostate exam to be performed by TSA's finest. I also don't want it to look like a modern day NBA basketball shoe. Nice neutral colors. I also have no plans to retire and becoming a sherpa running expeditions to Everest.

I looked at several packs at Gander Mountain today. I liked the Kelty Dillon and Redstart. I also liked the North Face Recon, Yavapai, and Angstrom. I will be carrying my ipad in it and various other stuff for the plane and plan on using it as a daypack when we get off the cruise ship. I like the Recon because it has a mesh pocket so we could put wet swimsuits, etc in it to keep everything else dry.

The Keltys seemed to have a better back plate and would provide better air flow. It should only be in the low 80's when we're there but I don't want to haul around a sauna on my back either.

Anyone have any suggestions in the $100 and under range? Thanks in advance.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    packs

IMG_1081_350.jpg

Endo151

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    I've got two that I use a lot when traveling. For trips that involve outdoor/limited electronics(iPad or GPS) I use a osprey helix. For work/electronics(laptop/cables/chargers) I use a wenger. Both were under a hundred. Not by much but they have held up great over several years.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Camelbak makes some nice packs worth looking at. Maxpedition too.

Don't think you could go wrong with something you like from either of those brands.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I looked at several packs at Gander Mountain today. I liked the Kelty Dillon and Redstart.

The Keltys seemed to have a better back plate and would provide better air flow. It should only be in the low 80's when we're there but I don't want to haul around a sauna on my back either.

I don't have amodel suggestion, but Kelty makes good packs. I have an old Boomerang that goes with me everywhere, everyday. I don't know how long I've had it, probably ten-fifteen years. It's been on a lot of dual sport trips, vacations, hikes, and I still carry it to work and back every day.

I tried to replace it with a Maxpedition pack, but went back to the Kelty after only a few days.

When it finally gets replaced it will be with a Kelty Peregrine 29 (which is the closest pack they make to the one I have now...in fact I think it's the exact same pack with the daisy chain run down the center instead of off to the side).

Last edited:

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    I am a park ranger who spends a lot of time outdoors and have gone through my fair share of packs. I can highly recommend a moutainsmith approach 35 which works well for long day hikes, traveling, and multi day trips with quality equipment. Single compartment full zip panel loader for easy packing. Picked it up for 70$ on amazon a few months back

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I have the NF Recon; really a nice pack. Purchased it before Disney last spring and it served the purpose. It's one of my two travel packs (the other is the Maxped Jumbo, but much smaller). -- Greg/Grizhicks

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    I went to Gander Mountain off of County line and Emerson and looked at their bags and decided on a High Sierra 40L bag. It has been incredibly durable and I chose it over the North Face because I didn't want to be confused as a trendy yuppy whose parents buy them everything. Yes, I just made that reference that most NF wearers are trust fund kids. However, I do like their products and the Terra (I think) was the same price at Gander Mountain.

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    If you plan on using it as a carry on a lot and don't need a ton of storage I would go as small and slim as possible so you can keep it under the seat in front of you and still have foot room. Then if you're on the plane you can always easily get it if you are stuck on an inner seat.

It also helps when traveling if you do any sight seeing because it's slim on your back and you easily fit on public transportation or into buildings without removing it.

I've got a small Columbia bag that I've traveled from Mexico to Sweden with and it's held up really well. I think it's original purpose was a skateboard backpack, but it's perfect for carrying an iPad, some extra clothes and gear.

This is the bag...looks like they don't sell solid black like mine anymore.
    Amazon.com: Columbia Half Track III collegiate navy blue/black: Clothing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY0lEBhOogE

This Patagonia pack looks really similar.
    Patagonia Yerba Pack - eBags.com

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think I'm still leaning pretty heavy towards the North Face Recon. I can't seem to find much of anything that has a mesh outer pocket on like the Recon has. We have a tour in the morning, dolphin swim in the early afternoon and the rest of the evening in Nassau. I'm not sure if we're really going to have time to go back to the ship. I like the mesh pocket to be able to put our swim suits in so they can air out and not get everything else wet. I like the multiple compartments as we'll have AA batteries, memory cards, possibly a Go Pro camera, etc to keep separated.

I'm going to be the one lugging this around 90+ percent of the time so I don't want something huge. Also, the smaller the pack, the less crap she's going to be able to put it in for each day.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I'm looking for a nice quality daypack. I will be using this as a carry on bag for my flight coming up. Nothing will molle loops or that will make me look like I'm an operator on leave from Koreit Nam. I'm not quite 40 yet so I don't want my first prostate exam to be performed by TSA's finest. I also don't want it to look like a modern day NBA basketball shoe. Nice neutral colors. I also have no plans to retire and becoming a sherpa running expeditions to Everest.

I looked at several packs at Gander Mountain today. I liked the Kelty Dillon and Redstart. I also liked the North Face Recon, Yavapai, and Angstrom. I will be carrying my ipad in it and various other stuff for the plane and plan on using it as a daypack when we get off the cruise ship. I like the Recon because it has a mesh pocket so we could put wet swimsuits, etc in it to keep everything else dry.

did you even read the OP; that's just what he said he didn't want.....

All he said is he doesn't want a pack that makes him look like a operator in the $100 range. Mine was only $14 over. Yes it does have molle loops BUT it just looks like a hiking pack with lash points.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I went with the North Face Recon. I found it on sunnysports.com for $59.95 shipped. A little brighter than what I wanted but I do like the color combo.

1eb88601a509f953df1c99e67f2b8667.jpg

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Maxpedition Condor II is a great pack for the money. They also make some other great stuff. Not top of the line but very well suited for most.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom