• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Man, that would really suck! I guess it's easy to become lazy with properly securing the butt of the rifle.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I haven't had scope eye since I started shooting, but the first scoped .308 rifle I got lightly (no blood but it was tender for a few hours) tapped me a couple of times as I was used to .22lr. I thought my first .50bmg tapped me lightly too but it was the flip up cover I had until I rotated it so it opened down :)

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't use scopes very much anymore. Back in the day I would shoot a .30-06 until I ran out of ammo. Never got scope bite from that or any other scope.

Both of my brothers seem to get a light scope bite every single time we go out to the range.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I still have the scar from shooting a 300 RUM laying on the ground.

This is between us, don't tell anyone.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I'm raising my hand. It happened to me but the scope edge hit me right between the eyebrows. For some of you, that would translate to the center of your eyebrow.:D

I had a broken hand at the time which had a cast on it. So I wasn't gripping the rifle well enough. When I fired, the scope put a real nice radius right between the brows:ugh:

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    First time I shot my WASR-10 with scope, it was out of focus, so instead of adjusting it, I just moved my eye closer to the scope(bad idea).my eye was less than an inch from the scope, so when I shot it got me pretty good. Was suprised but happy that it didn't draw blood.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Got hit once. Was deer hunting out east with a 30-30. Had to shoot at an odd angle as deer came up from behind. Drew blood on me, deer got clean away!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Last fall. Checking zero on the old remmy with 2 3/4 shells, with which it shoots pretty easy. then switched to 3" and still just had it laying on a pad on the shooting bench. Not well supported. Peeled my nose like an orange. Ouch. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Buddy's Winchester Mod 70 African in .458 Win Mag. He decided he wanted it scoped. We put a scope on it but he had to go to work and I offered to sight it in for him. First shot, nice bruise over my right eye. First time I ever shot a caliber that large. Man, that was a surprise...LOL

That was way back in 1972.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I guess no one wears eye protection? I have never had it happen to me.

It the early days of my shooting years, we did not normally wear hearing protection, much less eye protection. It was different back then. Go to a gun shop with a lot of older shooter in there and try and count the number of times you hear "Huh?"....LOL

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Some years age I was eating in one of those late night diners up in northern Michigan and was couldn't help but overhear a group of drunk yoopers bragging about poaching deer late at night.

Story went like this: The guy's wife was taking aim through the scope pretty close while someone was shining them and when she fired - instant scope bite. That's not all, he was proud of her because she was able to switch aim to the other eye while she was bleeding from the other to get more shots off - until she got the scope in that eye too, of course.

There are some rotten people out there. Too bad a conservation officer wasn't there to kill their buzz.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    It the early days of my shooting years, we did not normally wear hearing protection, much less eye protection. It was different back then. Go to a gun shop with a lot of older shooter in there and try and count the number of times you hear "Huh?"....LOL
    What i can't hear you.LOL

Top Bottom