Just north of Ft. Wayne
    tac⋅ti⋅cal

 /ˈtæk
    thinsp.png
    thinsp.png
    kəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tak-ti-kuh
    thinsp.png
    l] Show IPA Use tactical in a Sentence

–adjective 1. of or pertaining to tactics, esp. military or naval tactics. 2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements. 3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage. 4. expedient; calculated.

Let me first point out that the guy in this story was laid back and easy to get along with, I am in no way bashing him.

So I was at the range last week and was having a good time shooting. This fella pulls in and walks into the shooting hut carrying a Molled out scoped rifle bag. I say hey and introduce myself, he follows suit.

A little bit later I was having some issues with my AR and was thinking out loud, this started the conversation. I asked what he was shooting he said a .308, I asked what manufacturer he says John Doe (not really but it was someones name). I say oh who is that? Thinking I would get a response like "he works for xxx.com or xxx gunsmith" instead I get "he is one of the best rifle builders in the world". So I'm impressed already :rolleyes:. I then say what is the action based off of. He says " It's a custom TACTICAL sniper rifle":cool:. that killed the conversation about that gun.

Now I understand that tactical may possibly be the most over used word in the gun world. But it just slew me, I had to bite my lip.

Any thoughts?

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Some people believe that if you throw a scope on a rifle it suddenly turns into a "Sniper" rifle!:dunno:

I guess because my Stealth II has a bipod and a cartridge holder on the stock he would think it was "Tactical" as well, I just refer to it as my Mod.70 or my Long range critter getter! Well, if you relate it to the definition you posted I guess you could consider the bipod tactical, the only reason I have it is for "expedient" deployment of "temporary" stabile rest to place a quickly "calculated" shot on a distant coyote, groundhog, or the occasional feral cat.:D

I'm not a big fan of the word Tactical, I choose more often then not to refer to something as accesorized.

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    There is nothing wrong with tactical what you two are getting tired of is tacti-cool guns or as a friend of mine says garbage guns, or guns that have more rails than capacity. Most people who own these guns don't even shoot them for fear of gun not looking new.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    There is an inverse relationship between those who personally use the word tactical and the amount of time they actually shoot a gun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think people tend to over think the use of "tactical" on everything.

Its simply a marketing buzzword-- and it works.

Personally, I just see it as a way to distinguish it from other areas of concern-- like a "hunting rifle" vs. a "tactical rifle". These two are probably VERY similar, but have different functions. And one probably has a brown wood stock, while the other has a black synthetic one.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    ****** Warning following Rant has no value added ************ (But I gotta do it)

I"m so tired of armchair SOG Tactical Underwear gotta have chromelined Super Tactical rails on my rail and a rail on my scope so I can put another sighting device to be extra tactical Can't live without an AR that you can drop out of the Space shuttle and 3 scopes that will be usable at 300 meters below the surface of the sun because I shot 2 boxes of wwb last year, and the iron sights that come on an A1 can't be used to shoot with because they are old and you have to have a name brand on everything and your poo poo if your gun isn't some name brand, the manufactures put the perfect finish on a firearm and but it's not good you have to spend another $$$$ to cover a black phosphate coate with a blacker tacticle phosphate coat. and the checkering isn't good enough so you have to have a Smith Stipple it, and Even though most of the high dollar guns end up gathering dust and then when you don't have enough money to do the next project you have to post your primers for $100 and your $600 AR for 8 times what you can get a brand new one for Even though you haven't even dirtied the gas tube on it. AND a gas system that will take 30-50k rounds without a problem Has to be replaced by a NEW gas system and really has no value added but to say it will go 70k rounds without a failure, Then you go buy the cheapest ammo from some 3rd world Hole that uses Bat Crap for powder and you want to blame a gas system that's worked for close to 50 years,

Jesus Mary and Joesheph Can't some of the nancy pants go learn to shoot instead of piling crap and take that money for the crap and buy good ammo and a membership to a range and actually go shoot and learn to put a round on target, and instead of claiming 1/1000 MOA and coming up with an excuse when you can't hit a paper plate

and stop complaining that a Range doesn't do xxxxxx, get involved and do it for them and for gods sake don't run your mouth saying you'll do it and then leave everybody hangin because you can't get your butt off the chair thinking that rambo really could fire from the hip and hit that mach 5 jet

******* Incoherant rant over ********* (while that rant went wild and some things are an exhageration most of them are just barely stretched)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    There is nothing wrong with tactical what you two are getting tired of is tacti-cool guns or as a friend of mine says garbage guns, or guns that have more rails than capacity. Most people who own these guns don't even shoot them for fear of gun not looking new.

Tacti-cool... you mean, like this?

2v2xoc5.jpg

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't by nothing unless it includes the word "tactical" in it. Just like I don't buy a Dodge vehicle without having the word "Hemi" in it somewhere. Because I don't want to be a loser!

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I really enjoy seeing all the tactial camouflage stuff. I can just picture someone dropping their camo knife, or radio, or waterbottle....
    "Damn, where the heck is it. I know I dropped around here, but I can't find it."

Now, that's smart tactical planning... buying something designed to stay hidden when lost.:rolleyes:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Meh... Some guns spend a lot of money on cars...

Some spend a lot of money on firearms and firearms accessories.

It's their money. Let 'em spend it how they want.

How many times have you wanted to buy something only because it "looked cool" and didn't buy it? Some folks just go ahead and buy it.

-J-

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Meh... Some guns spend a lot of money on cars...

Some spend a lot of money on firearms and firearms accessories.

It's their money. Let 'em spend it how they want.

How many times have you wanted to buy something only because it "looked cool" and didn't buy it? Some folks just go ahead and buy it.

-J-

I love buying the gun off the tacticool guy. He "just can't get it to hit anything at 300 yards." Couldn't possibly be him. So I get a great gun at a great price. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom