• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you routinely beep at Walmart, there's a good chance that something you're wearing is the culprit. All kinds of things have the little bonger-tags hidden in them. One inside my wallet kept bonging me...

-J-

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    The situation would be different had the alarms not gone off. They were justified in what they did. Even if you rightfully paid for everything, each cashier is only allowed so many bongs per month. If it went off due to a cashier's mistake, then they still need to check so they can dock that cashier.

Honestly, I think the only reason you didn't want them to see in your bag is because it was full of personal lubricants and produce. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Feign, I think you are taking this way too personal. Its not like this guy called you a thief straight to your face. Try to get over the fact that this guy is completely and totally ruining your afternoon for a total of 45 seconds. And if you really adamantly feel that he has no business stopping you, just walk around him. You didn't really gain much by engaging him in conversation- its not like he agreed with you afterwards.

Really, I don't think its always a personal issue, like he is making you out to be a BG. I have had it happen where I had a cart and on the bottom rack underneath the basket I had only one item, the item got missed by me and the cashier, and the door guy stopped me. Honest mistake, I wasn't trying to stiff them $2 for a jug of water. At a different store my gf bought a coat that had a security tag, but the tag was stuck between layers of the coat. The people at that store never stopped her- and it turned out to be a PITA bc every time after that, if she wore her coat into that store the alarm went off. So if you buy something with a ink filled security tag on it, and the door alarm goes off but you are unwilling to stop, you really only make more hassle for yourself when you have to go back later to get it taken off. Seems to me that if Walmart wants to pay this guy to check the door buzzer, so be it. Its not an "infringement" IMO. Its not like the guy tried to slap a pair of cuffs on you or something, he simply did his job and asked you to see your receipt.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I am having a real hard time getting a grip on why feign has to be such a PITA!!!
    The door alarms went off... THAT is probable cause for them to call security or the police! those alarms are NOT fool proof but it is all they have to prevent shoplifting!!! Letting the little greeter guy check your receipt is NOT an admission of guilt it is nothing more that a confirmation of legal purchase and a record keeping device. (which cashier failed to deactivate an I.C.D.)
    Lets just say that Mr. fiegn had a bug buzzing him while driving and in so shooing said pest he swerves his big manly vehicle across the lane a couple of times. This action alerts a police officer within view of Mr fiegn and Mr police officer brings up the rear of our pest molested driver and turns on his flashing lights.....
    Now since Mr. feign is NOT-in-fact driving under the influence of alcohol he chooses NOT to stop at the call of the police officer who felt he had probable cause. Or Mr feign stops and tells the police officer (who is only doing his job) that since he isn't guilty of driving under the influence he refuses to succomb to the field sobriety test. and if Mr police officer does NOT step away from the big bad vehicle he will get his feet run over.
    Why do people feel they are better than anyone else and above reproach?

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Honestly, I think the only reason you didn't want them to see in your bag is because it was full of personal lubricants and produce. :)
    Wouldn't you like to know. ;) If a loaf of bread, two 15ct boxes of 00 Buckshot, two emergency blankets, one poncho, and a Victorinox pocket knife constitute sex toys your imagination is way wilder than mine. :P

Feign, I think you are taking this way too personal. Its not like this guy called you a thief straight to your face. Try to get over the fact that this guy is completely and totally ruining your afternoon for a total of 45 seconds. And if you really adamantly feel that he has no business stopping you, just walk around him. You didn't really gain much by engaging him in conversation- its not like he agreed with you afterwards.
    Fair enough, but I couldn't just walk around him at the "exit" door (because he took up the majority of it's width). I shouldn't have to feel threatened in any manner just by trying to leave, security tag *dong* or not.

Really, I don't think its always a personal issue, like he is making you out to be a BG. I have had it happen where I had a cart and on the bottom rack underneath the basket I had only one item, the item got missed by me and the cashier, and the door guy stopped me. Honest mistake, I wasn't trying to stiff them $2 for a jug of water. At a different store my gf bought a coat that had a security tag, but the tag was stuck between layers of the coat. The people at that store never stopped her- and it turned out to be a PITA bc every time after that, if she wore her coat into that store the alarm went off. So if you buy something with a ink filled security tag on it, and the door alarm goes off but you are unwilling to stop, you really only make more hassle for yourself when you have to go back later to get it taken off. Seems to me that if Walmart wants to pay this guy to check the door buzzer, so be it. Its not an "infringement" IMO. Its not like the guy tried to slap a pair of cuffs on you or something, he simply did his job and asked you to see your receipt.
    I know mistakes happen and that was my case. Not my fault because the cashier didn't swipe the knife box over the little magnetic doo-dad and certainly not my fault that they cannot create laws or hold anyone against their will whenever they so please, especially if I'm a paying customer merely wanting to leave.

I don't ever have to stop at a store that's open to the public. Now if it were Sam's or somewhere where I signed on a line that I had to submit to a search when leaving the store then sure, I'll wait. Even if it's 10 minutes of mind-numbing wait, I'll do it with no questions asked.

I am having a real hard time getting a grip on why feign has to be such a PITA!!!
    The door alarms went off... THAT is probable cause for them to call security or the police! those alarms are NOT fool proof but it is all they have to prevent shoplifting!!! Letting the little greeter guy check your receipt is NOT an admission of guilt it is nothing more that a confirmation of legal purchase and a record keeping device. (which cashier failed to deactivate an I.C.D.)
    Lets just say that Mr. fiegn had a bug buzzing him while driving and in so shooing said pest he swerves his big manly vehicle across the lane a couple of times. This action alerts a police officer within view of Mr fiegn and Mr police officer brings up the rear of our pest molested driver and turns on his flashing lights.....
    Now since Mr. feign is NOT-in-fact driving under the influence of alcohol he chooses NOT to stop at the call of the police officer who felt he had probable cause. Or Mr feign stops and tells the police officer (who is only doing his job) that since he isn't guilty of driving under the influence he refuses to succomb to the field sobriety test. and if Mr police officer does NOT step away from the big bad vehicle he will get his feet run over.
    Why do people feel they are better than anyone else and above reproach?
    You don't get it. That little *dong* means nothing other than the fact that the tag wasn't deactivated. It is NOT probable cause because Wal-Mart has zero authority to do absolutely anything to me, unless they have had eyes/cameras trained on me from the moment I set foot into the store until I was outside of the physical structure. Then and only then can they call the law but that was not the case.

The *dong* is all they have for security? Look up the next time you're in a retail store. And when shrinkage in dollars to dollars is caused by the general public moreso than the employees you can come back and tell me that cameras and a security tag system is required to keep an eye on the paying public.

Retail Theft and Inventory Shrinkage | Shoplifting Employee Theft and Shrink
    Retail Theft and Inventory Shrinkage
    According to the study, employee theft is the single biggest contributor to inventory shrinkage even though shoplifters far outpace dishonest employees. "This is because the dollar value of employee theft on a per incident basis is much higher than that of shoplifting," said McIntosh. "But according to our study, apprehensions of shoplifters far outpace apprehensions of employees." Though employees accounted for only 1 out of every 10 apprehensions, the average value of merchandise recovered was nearly seven times that of the average shoplifter, $1,525 and $223 respectively.
    And as far as your hypothetical goes, that's ridiculous. I'll stop for Johnny Law with the gun that goes boom boom but not Joe 18-pack with the pink sticker gun that goes click click.

And I'm no better than the next guy, but I try to understand what I can and can't do.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Fair enough, but I couldn't just walk around him at the "exit" door (because he took up the majority of it's width). I shouldn't have to feel threatened in any manner just by trying to leave, security tag *dong* or not.

If this is what transpired then you have a legitimate right to be irate. When some corn-fed boy uses his physical size to impose their will on another person without just cause it's called intimidation. That jerk should be fired if not prosecuted, regardless if he were a LEO or not.

You should have been respectfully approached by an associate who asked in a courteous manner, "Excuse me, sir. I need to check your receipt along with what you just purchased." And no doubt you would have graciously complied with their polite request as I have in the past. Am I correct?

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    If this is what transpired then you have a legitimate right to be irate. When some corn-fed boy uses his physical size to impose their will on another person without just cause it's called intimidation. That jerk should be fired if not prosecuted, regardless if he were a LEO or not.

You should have been respectfully approached by an associate who asked in a courteous manner, "Excuse me, sir. I need to check your receipt along with what you just purchased." And no doubt you would have graciously complied with their polite request as I have in the past. Am I correct?
    Yeah the guy was maybe 5'6", maybe 5'7" on a Dr. Scholl's shoe day, at least 230lbs, and older, maybe ~50-ish. I'm 6' 200lbs and would have had to walk sideways to pass between him and the door. He prevented me from walking through the door and if I had attempted to move to the "entrance" door I'm sure he would have been right in front of me then as well.

I was not tactfully approached with a smile and a easy voice asking if they could see my bags and receipt, not that I would have submitted to any search in the first place because I'm not a mongrel thief.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    i dont know man, the guy is making next to nothing and you are coming out and ding. This guy doesnt want any trouble but you are willing to perform trouble? "I reached to the small of my back and bega.."? Why? Did he pull a gun first? This gives CCW and firearms a bad rap in general. If you go off, keep your reciept, take a pill and let the guy make his minimum wage. Were you going to shoot him? Make a statement? What a big man you are! I get mad when people are willing to use their weapon or threaten force against someone doing their job. Dont like them doing their job? Do what they need you to do and then never shop there! I used to be one of those guys in college. It sucked! Its guys like you that will pull on a Mcdonalds manager b/c you didnt want cheese, but hey! They didnt talk to you fast enough at the counter!

Reread your rules of engagement. Did he pull a weapon? NO. Did he ACTUALLY threaten you (keep in mind, something that was a real threat to you, not just he's blocking my way)? No. Was there legitimate weapon to "half brandish" or act in a threatening fashion to him? Double NO!

This sounds like a classic example of someone who has his/her CCW and thinks its a license for trouble. Im a big man b/c I have a gun! This is the same thing that makes people go nuts and shoot up places for no reason. There are legions of POs in court right now due to "he had a gun" "it was a wallet" or "he threatened me with a weapon" " a Pepsi bottle is not a weapon".

Sorry to get my nuts in a twist over this, but it really bothers me the level of maturity, professionalism and specifically, patience I see in regards to concealed carry and firearms in general. Everyone knows where I live/work, so if they get mad and want to "get me", then fine, I will discuss this like a gentleman. But seriously, there was no reason to even reach for your weapon for someone who was doing their job (even if you didnt have a weapon). All you had to do was show them a reciept. No reciept, then tell them what cashier just checked you out, they will back you up. Had this happen to me once. Took only a minute. Too big/important to take the time to be a gentleman? Then dont shop in American retail... If necessary, moderators can talk to me in private. I just get so mad in relation to people's paranoia and anger at the world around them!

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    i dont know man, the guy is making next to nothing and you are coming out and ding. This guy doesnt want any trouble but you are willing to perform trouble? "I reached to the small of my back and bega.."? Why? Did he pull a gun first? This gives CCW and firearms a bad rap in general. If you go off, keep your reciept, take a pill and let the guy make his minimum wage. Were you going to shoot him? Make a statement? What a big man you are! I get mad when people are willing to use their weapon or threaten force against someone doing their job. Dont like them doing their job? Do what they need you to do and then never shop there! I used to be one of those guys in college. It sucked! Its guys like you that will pull on a Mcdonalds manager b/c you didnt want cheese, but hey! They didnt talk to you fast enough at the counter!

Reread your rules of engagement. Did he pull a weapon? NO. Did he ACTUALLY threaten you (keep in mind, something that was a real threat to you, not just he's blocking my way)? No. Was there legitimate weapon to "half brandish" or act in a threatening fashion to him? Double NO!

This sounds like a classic example of someone who has his/her CCW and thinks its a license for trouble. Im a big man b/c I have a gun! This is the same thing that makes people go nuts and shoot up places for no reason. There are legions of POs in court right now due to "he had a gun" "it was a wallet" or "he threatened me with a weapon" " a Pepsi bottle is not a weapon".

Sorry to get my nuts in a twist over this, but it really bothers me the level of maturity, professionalism and specifically, patience I see in regards to concealed carry and firearms in general. Everyone knows where I live/work, so if they get mad and want to "get me", then fine, I will discuss this like a gentleman. But seriously, there was no reason to even reach for your weapon for someone who was doing their job (even if you didnt have a weapon). All you had to do was show them a reciept. No reciept, then tell them what cashier just checked you out, they will back you up. Had this happen to me once. Took only a minute. Too big/important to take the time to be a gentleman? Then dont shop in American retail... If necessary, moderators can talk to me in private. I just get so mad in relation to people's paranoia and anger at the world around them!
    Again, focusing on the wrong thing here, but thanks for your opinion. My hand was back there (not on the weapon but almost ready to pull) because if the guy was willing to prevent me from leaving the store, what else might he do when I finally walked up to him requesting he get out of my way? How do I know he didn't have a weapon? A threat is a threat is a threat, gun, bowling pin, or pink return sticker gun. I certainly wasn't threatening him by posture, demeanor, or language, I merely told him twice that he had no grounds in keeping me from exiting the store. Next step would have been a phone call to the cops. IF he decided to get physical it would have came to that, then and only then if it got ri-god-damn-diculously stupid and obscene would the firearm have been unholstered.

But seriously, you're totally missing the point. I carry, assessed a threat that could have escalated in very short order and was only preparing. I'm sorry you weren't there to judge the entire situation that I'll forever be branded as a hot-head with a gun, but seriously, just shut up about me having my hand back there. God damn.

When I hear "I need to see your receipt!" what I don't want to be hearing in a few years is "Papers please."

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hot headed? Maybe, but I really dont think so. Maybe a little imprudent to even reach for a weapon. Until I see a weapon, then no actions will be taken.

So what if they acted "menacingly"? If you were armed, then they would be no threat to you, so whats the harm in letting him do his job. He's a dried up old man with nothing left in his life (probably), so you are going to be the better person by threatening him. Doesn't matter what you were going for. You threatened him with legal and bodily harm for NO reason. I dont have to be there for that. What if a cop was there? Not a smart idea to be reaching for your peice of weapon with a poor old man (menacing or not) trying to do his job. Looks real good in the media tapes.

You recent phrase " God damn" about twice in the sentence shows not only I but others at this forum of your "hot headed" tendencies. I admit I get a little hot under the collar. Guy cuts me off in traffic, line is too slow at the supermarket, list goes on. But NEVER, and I mean NEVER think to kill another person for something that I am "feeling". That man, no matter what his job is, has a family, friends and people that may care for him. You were not only able but WILLING to obliterate his life for something that you didnt like? I hate to see you in traffic man. Shoot a car full of kids and soccer moms b/c a kid flipped you off? I admit thats taking it to an extreme but it perfectly paints a point Im making here. You didnt just pay for a permit to carry, then you can do with it as you chose. You paid for the PRIVLIDGE to carry and also the DUTY to uphold the law, not just written law (social contract) but COMMON LAW. Threatening an old man with bodily harm, because he is doing his job, is irresponsible use of a firearm, not to mention irresponsbile behavior of a human in general. You must have been a bigger man than he was, so whats the point of even reaching?

Not excusable in my book. I am suprised no one called the cops after you left. Remember, that piece of paper in your wallet is not a wanton issue of marque and reprisal against anyone who looks at you wrong. It is a responsibility to society around you. You SHOULD HAVE been the bigger man, performed the paper check, then moved on. But you have to make a splash. You have to make everyone around you pay for "what they have done to you". It would seem that anger issues aside, there are other issues apparent.

That being said: What other things influenced your day on the day of the incident? Other anger situations? Enough of those in one day will make anyone reprehensible to be around. Did you think to take your weapon off when you get that mad? I would much rather disarm myself in the car and die at muggers knife point than take my anger out on someone who deserves none of my anger and all of my respect. Those guys dont make 8$, many only make nearly nothing. Yet they have to put up with others problems all day. Empathy is a slowly diminishing resource in today's society.:(

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    *makes note not to shop with Tony at Wal-Mart so i don't have to feel uncomfortable that he's gonna shoot the old woman at the door when she asks for his receipt* :D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I woud like to personally apologize to everyone here, including the original poster for my words above. I just get so darn perturbed when one takes a Dirty Harry/Killem All/ Death Before Dishonor outlook on life.

PM me for free kicks in my rear.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Just to help wrap this up...

The original question was whether we (as a forum reading populace) find receipt checking an invasion of privacy.

I think the general consensus is that yes, it is annoying; yes, it is does infringe slightly on our privacy; but no, it's not worth arguing over. Take the thirty seconds to stop and let the guy/gal at the door check your receipt and your bag since it's his or her job to stop you if the alarm goes off, whether you are an honest member of society or not.

For the record though, I do have to agree that the way your story read, Feign, you did come off a bit hot-headed. I myself wondered how you were going to call the police (since it has been stated several times that calling the police would be the first step if it got physical) when one hand was holding the bag with your purchase, and the other hand was behind you getting ready to make your firearm available...

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    I woud like to personally apologize to everyone here, including the original poster for my words above. I just get so darn perturbed when one takes a Dirty Harry/Killem All/ Death Before Dishonor outlook on life.

PM me for free kicks in my rear.
    Just don't vilify my actions, that's all I ask. If I wanted to shoot the guy and start a rampage (or whatever) then I would do just that. I didn't brandish anything and my intent is never to shoot someone unless they're shooting or doing something obviously illegal with theirs..

Threats are threats to me. He was less than a foot from my face and that is entirely too close to be standing to someone, receipt checking old gentleman or best friend. I have a bubble and he was engulfing it wholly.

I'm me, you're you, we have differing opinions. Thanks for yours, I respect it and understand where we do differ in this regard (everyone's). I don't feel the same way but I'd still shake your hand. Pami too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Friend, your weapon had no place in this situation. It shouldn't have even been a thought. I mean no disrespect, but you should think hard about that.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Friend, your weapon had no place in this situation. It shouldn't have even been a thought. I mean no disrespect, but you should think hard about that.
    It wasn't my very first thought. That was how to drop the bags to grab the phone and either side-step or jump backwards should things have gotten way too out of hand.

But fair enough, no disrespect taken (50/50 on that though, based only on the responses I've gotten). I have been, thanks.

Top Bottom