• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raye7r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Parke County
    I have a Woodsman that my wife's father killed himself with. Her mom and my wife made me go to the sheriff's office and reclaim it. He had it for years and years and years, I can still see him setting in the chair cleaning it. My wife is not a gun person but "it was her dad's gun". She never looks at it or any of my guns for that matter, but she will ask every so often to make sure I still have it. I don't shoot it but clean it once in a great while.

DJDan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    North Indy
    Not much in this world creeps me out, but your story kind of did. I don't know I'd keep a gun that was used in a suicide of a family member. I KNOW it's not the gun's fault...it's just a tool, like a snow shovel, car, jackhammer, or whatever but if one of those objects was somehow used in a suicide of a loved one I wouldnt want them EITHER! Creeeeeeepy.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Went to a PD sale one time. One pistol being sold was still in the plastic bag with a big red tag saying HAZARDOUS MATERIAL. It was stained in red and had "material" stilll clinging to the sides of the gun. No one wanted to buy it. But "someone" finannly gave $20 for it. It was a nice stainless, so it would clean up ok.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    very odd

As much of a "gun nut" as I am, I am pretty sure that if I were in that customers shoes, that "heirloom" from the estate would be the first and most likely only one that I would want to get rid of.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    When we left, we discussed the situation in the truck and thought that was macabre. Who in the hell considers the gun his father killed himself with to be a family heirloom? Both Jason and I both said we would never want to ever see it after an act like that.

Years ago, my great-grandfather injured himself in the leg with a scythe. (It's a like a two handed sickle) The wound became infected with gangrene and it killed him. However, according to my grandfather, that tool is still in the shed behind what used to be his house. :dunno:

Last edited:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Valued possession. Not sure why that is an odd choice of words. He puts some value on it that differentiates it from other guns. It seems to ME to be differentiated all right. The second part, passing it down. Not something one normally thinks of. But not entirely out of the realm of understanding.

heir·loom (ârlm)
    n.
    1. A valued possession passed down in a family through succeeding generations.
    2. An article of personal property included in an inherited estate.
    3. A cultivar of a vegetable or fruit that is open-pollinated and is not grown widely for commercial purposes. An heirloom often exhibits a distinctive characteristic such as superior flavor or unusual coloration.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    You're not alone in your thinking, but neither is the customer alone in his. Sometimes the desire to maintain a connection to a deceased family member makes one do strange and seemingly irrational things.

+1 on shooter521, I think that people do try and hold on their loved ones after they have passed, some just do it in strange ways. :dunno:

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    If he was so certain that was the gun his father used then why did it even make it in the store? When he was loading them up to take in he didn't realize which one it was? I dunno, sounds like he wanted to see a reaction.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Not wanting to completely thread hi jack but lets keep an eye on our friends that may be unemployed and currently having tough times.

Reading these posts really makes me reflect on the number of posters that have friends and family members that have committed suicide. Mental health issues are no laughing matter when you consider someone on at least every page has lost a loved one to them.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Back in 1981 I handled a nice Rem 1100 that was a suicide weapon. It was still covered with dried blood. The man was a dentist and he placed the barrel in his mouth. Very messy! As I lowered the barrel toward the ground we all heard something rolling down the barrel. ( I was the only one that checked to see if it was loaded) The item came out of the bore and the owner caught it. It was a piece of a TOOTH! AGGGGH!

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    It was his dad,s range bag and gun safe all in one every gun he owned was in that bag some were rusting but there was not any signs of pitting or rust on suicide gun.

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I know a guy who's mom shot herself with a S&W 38spcl, model number escapes me. His dad wanted to keep the gun. He kept it in the end table next to where he sat watching tv. My friends dad was really sick, dieabeties and cancer. lost both legs. Friends mom was the one who took care of dad. about 3 months later his father took out the same S&W and took his life.
    My friend still has that gun. I asked him why? His response was that "it is all that is left of my parents." It is a sad situation, but when he sees that S&W he remembers how much his dad loved his mom.
    BTW i took the bullets from him.

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    Similar situation: a guy I know was selling some guns and showed me Taurus .45, and I was seriously thinking about it. Then he told me it had belonged to another guy we both knew who had shot himself. Not sure if it was the actual gun used, but it was enough to make me hand it right back to him. Creepy.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    That is pretty WICKED! Wouldnt it go into Police custody? Strange..

I'm sure it would be held as evidence but not retained there permanently - no?

That brings up another question: Is suicide illegal in Indiana? Are folks prosecuted if an attempted suicide survives? Really not trying to be glib here but sincerely curious.

Thanks

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    My daughter committed suicide. We specifically requested that the police destroy the gun. I know a gun is just a tool, but I can't understand how someone could bear to be around the instrument of death, of loved one.

Top Bottom