• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plane Pistol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Came home to Indy ferom Detroit yesterday. Looking for 22LR mini mag for my wife's P22.

Gander Mtn Coldwater, MI was out of almost all pistol ammo calibers and no 22. Same story at Fort Wayne and Indy Gander Mtn. Ft. Wayne Dicks and Walmart out and Indy Dicks and 96th St Walmart, Meijer and two NE Indy area gun shops all out.

Midway, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Cheaper Than all out of 22LR as well.

Brazier 40 S&W selling for $39 a box with only two boxes to be found.

Here is the best explanation I have heard for the situation to-date.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uQoQ...top_uri=/watch?v=uQoQO0rEeX0&feature=youtu.be

Decide for yourself.

Brdhntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    I'm checking out the video now. Is it really just people buying up all of the ammo, or is there something deeper?

Plane Pistol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    I also wonder if the new 22AR owners are perhaps going through more ammo to try out their new guns? Record sales could equal record ammo use?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Wel, here at Terre Haute's Gander they are telling me that each Thursday when the truck comes, the SAME folks are waiting to scap up all the ammo in all the common calibers they can grab up. They admit freely they are flipping it on GB and Gunslist to make money. I am willing to believe that a lot of new gun owners will mean a lot of ammo being grabbed up but it doesn't sustain itself like this unless there is more, it also typically has little if no effect on reloading supplies. New gun owners typically do not want to learn how to reload at the same time.

So even if I do admit you are right about ammo being bought up at record levels by new gun owners and of course, those of us who shoot regularly, I can't see the connection to the reloading equipment and components being sold out at record levels as well. You can't find dies or presses or even good beam scales in stock anywhere but a few places at regular prices. I guess it is the older gun owners who transition to reloading when faced with no ammo? That could be. Most shooters I know and talk to at the range ask me about how reloading is done and if it is hard or expensive etc. They admit itis something they feel they should be doing to save money and to learn more about the hobby etc. So maybe that is it then. :dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Wel, here at Terre Haute's Gander they are telling me that each Thursday when the truck comes, the SAME folks are waiting to scap up all the ammo in all the common calibers they can grab up. They admit freely they are flipping it on GB and Gunslist to make money. I am willing to believe that a lot of new gun owners will mean a lot of ammo being grabbed up but it doesn't sustain itself like this unless there is more, it also typically has little if no effect on reloading supplies. New gun owners typically do not want to learn how to reload at the same time.

So even if I do admit you are right about ammo being bought up at record levels by new gun owners and of course, those of us who shoot regularly, I can't see the connection to the reloading equipment and components being sold out at record levels as well. You can't find dies or presses or even good beam scales in stock anywhere but a few places at regular prices. I guess it is the older gun owners who transition to reloading when faced with no ammo? That could be. Most shooters I know and talk to at the range ask me about how reloading is done and if it is hard or expensive etc. They admit itis something they feel they should be doing to save money and to learn more about the hobby etc. So maybe that is it then. :dunno:

I'm guessing $1 per round for 223 might have something to do with increased reloaders. The shellplates that fit scarce ammo are going for big bucks. Any components or parts used in scarce ammo are hard to come by.

Hooiserfloyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    With just under 500.000 LTCH applications last quarter just for the state of Indiana. I would say the manufacturers can't keep up with the demand.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    see, I can't see that either since the new prices for .223 are artgificial and if you know much about panics, you realize it will pass. It is also winter and most folks stay off the range in the winter. I know I do and so do many others but this is speaking generally. In short, this season is the one for ammo sales due to slow movement, in general. As for shell plates and such being high priced, those who pay it only encourage this to continue longer. i for one have been looking through my unused reloading items and trying to get rid of them here for a reasonable price rather than gouging. I could even make a good case for needing some extra dough above the usual greed. I just want this to end so I try to help that along.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Came home to Indy ferom Detroit yesterday. Looking for 22LR mini mag for my wife's P22.

Gander Mtn Coldwater, MI was out of almost all pistol ammo calibers and no 22. Same story at Fort Wayne and Indy Gander Mtn. Ft. Wayne Dicks and Walmart out and Indy Dicks and 96th St Walmart, Meijer and two NE Indy area gun shops all out.

Midway, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Cheaper Than all out of 22LR as well.

Brazier 40 S&W selling for $39 a box with only two boxes to be found.

Here is the best explanation I have heard for the situation to-date.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uQoQ...top_uri=/watch?v=uQoQO0rEeX0&feature=youtu.be

Decide for yourself.

I saw a news piece on the CCI factory in Idaho......they are cranking out 4 millions rounds of .22LR ammo per day.

Top Bottom