Real Life Home Invasion: What Would You Have Done?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    If he's in my house coming at me or anyone in my family I would shoot(self defense). If he is leaving my property and is not posing an immediate threat i call the police. Its to easy to be charged with murder these days. I may put up a few cameras if the perps are coming back that often. I probably consider moving if it nade since financially.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What would I do? Never disarm while home. More security (alarm, lights, dog), and kids/wife would get on-board with a plan of some sort.

And go after the Chief of Police, DA's office, and every elected official I could find. Then the local/national news. If you REFUSE to investigate crime, and continue to put my family at risk, then I will treat you like a willing accomplice.

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    If they are coming inside my home? Castle Doctrine. If a burglar is willing to take the risk of breaking into a home, you have no way of knowing how far they will be willing to take it.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Excellent article. The question posed could be "armchair quarterbacked" all day long. The key is to plan and be prepared for this type of scenario. It is getting more and more common.
    My family and I have made a plan for such an event. We are not paranoid, but prepared. Fortunate for us we have a great response time in our neighborhood from law enforcement.
    I also suggest that you get involved with a neighborhood watch program if you live in a urban area. Just my two bits. Thanks.

Spyke05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    He did the right thing i wish he would have been able to catch them on in the home and been able to inact the defense needed to show his house is off limits to thieves.

usermax2000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    If there out side i would call the police or go out and run them off. If they get in then thats there problem but not for long if you know what i mean...:ar15:

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    If they breech the door to my home, then I confirm that my wife and I are not setting up a crossfire and open up. No one crashes through my door with friendly intent! Good reason to have weapons close at hand, even in these civilized times!

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    A dog barking will prevent most intruders from doing anything more thank peeping or knocking on the door a well trained attack dog can f--- a intruder up pretty bad and or take a bullet to give you much more time, would have handled the situation about the same, friend of mine was sleeping during the day when he heard someone breaking in, had their arm inside the door they had pryed open from the top, he broke the perps arm with a ballbat, would not shoot even if the perp was in my house unless they have a weapon(bat, hammer,pipe,gun,tire iron ect..) or it appears i may loose in a knockdown dragout fight.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    He's doing it right. I would not have shot the guy as he was running away either. If I am home I'm wearing a gun unless I am in the shower or asleep. When I am in my PJs I have a Ruger LCP in an ankle holster. Paranoid? No, prepared. He needs to hang in there and either and guys will get caught doing something somewhere or return when the homeowner can bust a cap as they say.

Hanen42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Ossian
    Get off my lawn!

gran-torino.jpg

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    I agree with most the other posts, if you break into my home and could harm my family, there will be Hell to pay.. if your leaving or already outside I wouldnt use deadly force unless engaged by the perp. like another member said way to easy to be charged with murder these days.

Top Bottom