• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm told by a friend down here that the name change documents issue is a real problem. In her case, she has resolved that she just won't ever be eligible for the Real ID.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Passport, DL, LTCH, W2...pay...14 day waiting period for snail mail.
    Only thing different for the Mrs. was having the marriage certificate.

Aaaand now that I am closing on my new house on the 18th in a different town 5 miles down the road, guess who gets to do this AGAIN!? Not to mention LTCH, C&R update, etc., etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got my star this year too.
    she changed my hair to grey too... how hateful. I still identify as a young feller.
    i passed the eye thing barely... I missed the max and still pass, so no restrictions for 6 more years.

I voluntarily told them to change it to gray. I told the lady I didn't think I could convince anyone that it's (what's left of it) brown anymore. :):

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    New house...so guess who gets to run this gauntlet again. :rolleyes:

Well, that was easy. After finding out everything associated with the REAL ID involves a branch visit, since mine is not up for renewal, I could "amend" my info for $9 after showing the ID and having 2 bills (used the utility & home owners insurance) with the new home address.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just wait- they've been talking about this for something like 4 or 5 years and in October of 2020 we'll hear all kinds of stories about people not knowing, confused, angry....

...including on INGO where the theme will reference something about Nazis demanding your papers.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just wait- they've been talking about this for something like 4 or 5 years and in October of 2020 we'll hear all kinds of stories about people not knowing, confused, angry....

...including on INGO where the theme will reference something about Nazis demanding your papers.

Another prognostication: people (adults) who were adopted back in the day when these kinds of records weren't as important will have real, legitimate problems through no fault of their own.

Some lawyers that I know in that line of work are talking about it, and it isn't clear what can be done. As I understand it, which may not be complete, a "delayed" birth certificate is insufficient to prove citizenship. And if the original birth certificate is unavailable, there's no real way to prove where someone was born.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

Too true; I renewed mine in June, and brought in all the papers to get it Real ID compliant. I visit a license branch at least annually, as I have an "authentic model year license plate" on my 1989 Mustang, and I cannot renew it online. EVERY time I've been in they have asked me if I'm Real ID compliant and encouraged upgrading my driver's license.

However, when I did bring in my papers (meine Papieren?), the license branch staff told me my FS-545, Consular Report of Birth Abroad was insufficient, and I needed to bring in my birth certificate. After much discussion and involving the branch manager, I was finally able to convince them the document listed ON THEIR WEBSITE was, in fact, my birth certificate.

Not that I need a Real ID; when Mrs. MarkC and I fly or go onto a military base, we use our DoD ID cards. However, I got mine, as resistance is futile.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Another prognostication: people (adults) who were adopted back in the day when these kinds of records weren't as important will have real, legitimate problems through no fault of their own.

Some lawyers that I know in that line of work are talking about it, and it isn't clear what can be done. As I understand it, which may not be complete, a "delayed" birth certificate is insufficient to prove citizenship. And if the original birth certificate is unavailable, there's no real way to prove where someone was born.

With only 7 years (looked it up) to get this sorted, I'm not sure why would expect people to get on this before September 2020.

...and having reviewed some of the recent appellate cases, you can get a judge to order just about anything if they think it's a good idea, regardless of the law....but I digress.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

... However, when I did bring in my papers (meine Papieren?), the license branch staff told me my FS-545, Consular Report of Birth Abroad was insufficient, and I needed to bring in my birth certificate. After much discussion and involving the branch manager, I was finally able to convince them the document listed ON THEIR WEBSITE was, in fact, my birth certificate. ...

Given how much trouble I had with legitimate papers, I have to agree that some folks are going to have problems. The older members of my dad's family had troubles later in life because the Lauderdale County, Tennessee courthouse burnt down long ago. Also, being pretty "country" folks, they did not see the need to go get every birth recorded when it happened.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    With only 7 years (looked it up) to get this sorted, I'm not sure why would expect people to get on this before September 2020.

...and having reviewed some of the recent appellate cases, you can get a judge to order just about anything if they think it's a good idea, regardless of the law....but I digress.

As to your first point, getting a non-delayed birth certificate for an adopted person has many obstacles, some of which are pretty insurmountable. Doesn't matter how long they have.

As to your second, even agreement of the parties sometimes does not allow them to flout the rules. ;)

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Yeah, that consular birth abroad thing might pose issues for some people, too.

To complicate things, I actually have two; born in November 1960, the Consul in Germany (then the Federal Republic of Germany) issued one finally in January 1961. My mother ordered a second from the Department of State, and that is signed by Secretary of State Dean Rusk (yeah, I'm sure it was) and issued in 1962.

Top Bottom