• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Can anyone personally speak to the yummyness or lack of yummyness of the Readywise meals?

Saw them at Costco and thought about throwing a couple in the cart, but I've never tried them before, so I'm seeking an expert opinion!

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I have had several different freeze-dried meals, Mountain house, ReadyWise, backpackers' pantry, etc., and they all taste pretty good to me. I normally only eat them when hiking and backpack camping, so anything would probably taste pretty good.

I guess it depends on what your plans are with them. If you are preparing them for a dates' meal, I would probably pass, but if you are getting them for EOW or camping, or just for those times that you need to make a meal with only having water on hand they are great.

Ron

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It is all going to depend on what you like to eat and what they have in stock. For a quick camping meal or a supper in a bag they work well. So brands and recipes you like some are ok and some taste like dog food. (How does the turtle know what dog food tastes like) do not buy the buckets of them until you try the singles. Cabelas carries many. I tend to stick to the pasta style ones as they normally cost a little less.

Calories count. Salt is normally high and I of course add more. All and all they will fill you up and make a turd.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    We only prep with
    Mountain House or Peak.
    Ready wise seemed like grocery store items packaged into mylar bags.
    We stocked up on rice, beans and a few pastas. Used O2 scrubbers in seal a meal bags and store in the dark.
    In a pinch, Ready wise, if priced right is better than nothing

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As was mentioned earlier a lot of the dehydrated stuff tastes pretty good when you are hungry. Camping when younger I found that I like stuff that cooked quick and easy. Grocery store bought stuff was often Dinty's out of the can which was simply set at the edge of the fire.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I tried Wise before they rebranded to Readywise. It was horrible. It did not fully reconstitute and was really chunky. It also did not taste very good. Some of the online reviews I have read say it did not improve after they rebranded. I'm sure it would keep you alive, and it might be ok to keep around for trading stock in an emergency if you could get it cheap enough.

I've been prepping with Mountain House for decades, and have not been disappointed. I like it so much, I became a Mountain House dealer. Oregon Freeze Dry (the parent company of Mountain House) has been a DOD supplier for decades. They have been in business since 1963.

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I’ve read a bunch of stuff on Reddit about how terrible the Readywise are, but if you’re needing to eat that stuff because you need to eat it, who cares? It’s about sustenance, not fine dining. I’ll buy what’s cheap and hope I never need it.
    So you won't have it at the tailgate? :):

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I tried Wise before they rebranded to Readywise. It was horrible. It did not fully reconstitute and was really chunky. It also did not taste very good. Some of the online reviews I have read say it did not improve after they rebranded. I'm sure it would keep you alive, and it might be ok to keep around for trading stock in an emergency if you could get it cheap enough.

I've been prepping with Mountain House for decades, and have not been disappointed. I like it so much, I became a Mountain House dealer. Oregon Freeze Dry (the parent company of Mountain House) has been a DOD supplier for decades. They have been in business since 1963.
    I did see a YouTube video that gave Mt. House the win RE: taste and ease of preparation. Apparently you can't cook readywise in its own packaging.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I wouldn't ever buy any of that rice or pasta stuff. For better flavor and cost, I'd got the the norrs brand stuff you get at walmart and and stire. Walmart being the cheapest at this time. Sometimes i find it local at 99cents on sale. Just spent $50 or so on most all the kinds they have..rice and pastas.
    Made 2 packages of the marinara an added a cubed up chicken breast for me an the gf. Total cost was about $5.50.

Attachments

• 20240909_233739.jpg
      20240909_233739.jpg
      500.9 KB · Views: 3

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Depends on use case. If it’s being held for an actual emergency, I’d go with the best price over what’s tasty. If you’re going hiking or camping, then spend the extra for something yummy.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I was a Wise dealer nearly 10 years ago. The product was "OK" but I pitched its shelf life and grab & go convenience. Nowadays, I personally go with Ready Hour. I like their packaging for variety and calories. They run sales occasionally that makes buying a 4-week bundle very compelling.

They are likely (but I have no proof) somehow affiliated with Readywise. Readywise makes it very difficult to find an address for them; Ready Hour on the other hand have it plainly posted on their website. I did find a Readywise address, and ironically it is on the other side of highway 154 from Ready Hour's warehouse in Salt Lake City, UT.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeblackwell
    Top Bottom