• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    TrailBoss..

Looking around locally I can't find any powders with one exception.
    I have some Trail Boss that a friend told me would be good for sub-sonic .308.

Without prompting, someone on another site recommended Trail Boss as a possibility for .45Colt.

Would you by chance have a recipe for Trail Boss?
    I can't find it in my books.
    I'll need to check it out on their web-site, but I was just wondering if anyone here uses it?

Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading
    ^^^
    Shows 5.5gr. of TrailBoss for a starting load (For a 200gr. LSWC) and 6.5gr. MAX load..Bill.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading
    ^^^
    Shows 5.5gr. of TrailBoss for a starting load (For a 200gr. LSWC) and 6.5gr. MAX load..Bill.

I just found the same info. on IMR's site.
    More questions though.

Winchester large pistol primers are listed on IMR's data.
    I saw CCI 300 primers listed for a different powder, and those are also available to me.
    Can I substitute the CCI for the Winchester primers?

Also. I was looking at powder dippers and wondered how they work since different powders have different construction and thus different volumes.
    Do I need to weight each charge?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    CCI-300's will work just fine..

I just found the same info. on IMR's site.
    More questions though.

Winchester large pistol primers are listed on IMR's data.
    I saw CCI 300 primers listed for a different powder, and those are also available to me.
    Can I substitute the CCI for the Winchester primers?

Also. I was looking at powder dippers and wondered how they work since different powders have different construction and thus different volumes.
    Do I need to weight each charge?

Yes, the CCI-300 primer will work fine for most all Colt loads. Especially with the powders that we have discussed. Later on down the road, if you decide to try some 2400, or WW-296/H-110 powders (Magnum Type of loads), you may want to use a Magnum primer (CCI-350).

I am NOT a 'Dipper' type of handloader-I ONLY weigh, so I can not help you on that..You NEED some of the 'Lee FanBoys' to stop by the thread for help on the 'Dippers'..HA HA..Bill.

Edit: Do I need to weigh each charge?--I do not--I have a good powder measure-RCBS Uniflow.--YMMV..

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Where do you buy your bullets?

I am just a reloading noob so I have had a dog's breakfast of different bullets so take my help with a grain of salt. Recently though I have been grooving on bullets from Standard Bullet Company in Des Plaines, Illinois. I have a monthly shipment sent to the office.

They make .45 (Long) Colt: Welcome to StandardBullet Company

I have used Indiana Bullet Company, Berrys, Missouri, S&S (also great), and some that I bought at a gun show in a Tupperware container (no, really, I did).

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I am just a reloading noob so I have had a dog's breakfast of different bullets so take my help with a grain of salt. Recently though I have been grooving on bullets from Standard Bullet Company in Des Plaines, Illinois. I have a monthly shipment sent to the office.

They make .45 (Long) Colt: Welcome to StandardBullet Company

I have used Indiana Bullet Company, Berrys, Missouri, S&S (also great), and some that I bought at a gun show in a Tupperware container (no, really, I did).

I went to their Site Kirk--Most links are broken??..Bill.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Looking around locally I can't find any powders with one exception.
    I have some Trail Boss that a friend told me would be good for sub-sonic .308.

Without prompting, someone on another site recommended Trail Boss as a possibility for .45Colt.

Would you by chance have a recipe for Trail Boss?
    I can't find it in my books.
    I'll need to check it out on their web-site, but I was just wondering if anyone here uses it?

I know many cowboy shooters that use Trail Boss, but I do not. They all seem to recommend it. It is supposed to fill the case more with light loads. This would be a good powder for plinking loads. Especially since you have access to some.

For your plinking loads, try not to get really hard cast bullets. Lower pressure target loads work better with softer lead. The harder bullets can cause more leading if the pressure is not high enough to expand the base of the bullet and seal the bore. There is actually a formula to determine bullet hardness based on the pressure of the load you want to shoot, but you don't need to worry about that. Remember: softer loads, softer bullets. Harder loads, harder bullets.

Top Bottom