• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Savage MKII FV, Accurized by S&S Gunsmithing in Idaho. Will shoot with any gun out there.
    SavageMK112.jpg

SavageMK11.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a Savage/ Anschutz with a Leupold scope. IMHO the Anshutz is the gold standard by which other bolt-action rifles are measured. There is a reason Anschutz dominates the world target rifle market. Choose your poison here: Anschutz, sporter, rifle, smallbore, field, sporting, .22, mag

Take no offense to this. I'm one that believes that people can spend their money any way they wish. Personaly though, I think that is way to much to spend for a .22 rifle. For plinking or hunting there are better options for a lot less money.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Take no offense to this. I'm one that believes that people can spend their money any way they wish. Personaly though, I think that is way to much to spend for a .22 rifle. For plinking or hunting there are better options for a lot less money.

No offense taken. I agree that there are other options available for less money, but I don't think that they are better options. The OP did say that he was in the market for a premium bolt-action rifle. I responded to him with that in mind.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I guess it depends on what you consider a premium. I bought a beat up Marlin 60 at Bargersville a couple of months ago, for $40, and I can use it to headshoot squirrels at 50 yards. Probably premium has to be something other than basic practicality.

Usually if I'm carrying around a 22 in the woods it is a 16" CZ452, though I've dozens to pick from. It is light and accurate. I wouldn't call it "Premium" because the wood is nothing special and neither is the metal. Of what I have I'd say Kimber's rimfires are the prettiest while still being practical squirrel rifles. I can appreciate the looks of the old 52s and 40xs but they are relatively big and heavy.

You could also go Premium the other way and get a custom trainer. I have a Sako Quad with a Lilja barrel, in a McM stock, that qualifies, but it doesn't get as much use as it seems like it should.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    Savage and Ruger both make great guns... But anyone who thinks they fit the definition of "premium" is either fooling themselves, or has never used a rifle that didn't come from a box mart.

Savage MKII's and Ruger M77s are not even in the class BELOW something like an Annie or a Cooper. The level of craftsmanship and quality is so far beyond, that suggesting someone buy an MKII over a Cooper is laughable (provided they can afford it).

Yes, Ruger/Savage are great practical guns. YES there is a diminishing return with something like a Cooper/Kimber/Annie - but that doesn't make the quality any less real.

If your not the kind of shooter who is willing to pay the $$$ for a world class gun, then THAT'S OK - It doesn't diminish your gun one bit. But some people appreciate quality and are willing to pay for it - OP is looking for such a gun, and knows full well what they cost. That's his prerogative, and i APPLAUD him for it.

OP - If I were in your shoes, I think I would go Cooper. While certain Annies can be had cheaper, and shoot just as well, I don't think any of their guns match the clean lines or aesthetic beauty of a good Cooper. Kimber made some darn sexy rimfires as well. Those are the two roads I would travel before inventing in Annie.

Some of you may not believe this, but the guns we are talking about here are NOT the ceiling of the rimfire market. the $1500 you spend on a Cooper 57, or Anschuts 54 wont touch some of the expensive rifles, like the Blaser R93 (4K+), or the Connecticut shotgun SxS rimfire double gun ($26K).

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Savage and Ruger both make great guns... But anyone who thinks they fit the definition of "premium" is either fooling themselves, or has never used a rifle that didn't come from a box mart.

Savage MKII's and Ruger M77s are not even in the class BELOW something like an Annie or a Cooper. The level of craftsmanship and quality is so far beyond, that suggesting someone buy an MKII over a Cooper is laughable (provided they can afford it).

Yes, Ruger/Savage are great practical guns. YES there is a diminishing return with something like a Cooper/Kimber/Annie - but that doesn't make the quality any less real.

If your not the kind of shooter who is willing to pay the $$$ for a world class gun, then THAT'S OK - It doesn't diminish your gun one bit. But some people appreciate quality and are willing to pay for it - OP is looking for such a gun, and knows full well what they cost. That's his prerogative, and i APPLAUD him for it.

OP - If I were in your shoes, I think I would go Cooper. While certain Annie's can be had cheaper, and shoot just as well, I don't think any of their guns match the clean lines or aesthetic beauty of a good Cooper. Kimber made some darn sexy rim fires as well. Those are the two roads I would travel before inventing in Annie.

I still believe best is an opinion. What you see as best. I may see as crap for me personally. To me, you do not need to spend $2,000 on a .22 rifle to get the job done. Again that's my personal opinion. Nothing wrong with the OP looking at other choices.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    I still believe best is an opinion. What you see as best. I may see as crap for me personally. To me, you do not need to spend $2,000 on a .22 rifle to get the job done. Again that's my personal opinion. Nothing wrong with the OP looking at other choices.

Nobody is arguing the $200 budget guns wont do the job; they do very well, especially at their price point, but...

We are not talking about "getting the job done", we are talking about high end luxury guns.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I forgot about Kimber, very nice. My buddy has one and it is quite accurate. Probably around $700.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    in most guns you get into a area of deminishing returns. take optics for instance. a 500 dollar optic is a ton better than a 50 dollar optic. a 800 dollar optic is alot better than a 500 dollar optic. a 1100 dollar optic is a little better than a 800 dollar optic. (you get the drift) my point is you get the most bang for your buck on the low end the question is how much do you need to spend to get you into the desired preformance area. going from a 3moa gun to a 2 moa gun is easy and cheap going from a 1.5moa to a .5moa is hard and expensive. :twocents:

as far as preimium goes stiller is coming out with a custom rimfire action in a month or so, lija or kreiger makes custom barrels mcm makes custom stocks and the list goes on. but would i put 3000 into a rimfire for squirels? NOT A CHANCE

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

When I was a kid, I killed squirrels with a $35.00 single barrel shot gun and it did the job, so that is not the point. How can anyone see a premium bolt-action as crap? I've owned and shot a lot of low-end .22 rifles and pistols. I've owned and shot some premium .22's, as well. If money isn't a large issue, I'll always opt for the better made premium guns. They are usually more accurate, have better triggers, are more reliable, made with the best materials and have a finer finish. There are some good bargains out there in the used market for premium .22 rifles if someone wants a top-of-the line rifle at a good price. The OP said that he was in the market for a premium .22 bolt action rifle. He is looking for a Lexus and some of you want him to buy a KIA.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    When I was a kid, I killed squirrels with a $35.00 single barrel shot gun and it did the job, so that is not the point. How can anyone see a premium bolt-action as crap? I've owned and shot a lot of low-end .22 rifles and pistols. I've owned and shot some premium .22's, as well. If money isn't a large issue, I'll always opt for the better made premium guns. They are usually more accurate, have better triggers, are more reliable, made with the best materials and have a finer finish. There are some good bargains out there in the used market for premium .22 rifles if someone wants a top-of-the line rifle at a good price. The OP said that he was in the market for a premium .22 bolt action rifle. He is looking for a Lexus and some of you want him to buy a KIA.

I'm just stating my opinion. If you or others want to spend that much. Then you have every right to. I do not think some guns are worth the the price. I have shot a lot of .22's from cheap to expensive. I was just saying the OP should check out a Savage. Nor, did I say the other rifles where crap. I stated that what may be PREMIUM to one person may not be to another.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have shot both the kimber 22 and a lot of different CZ 22's. They are all really nice guns. The Kimber 22's are no longer in production so finding a new one is not going to happen. Used ones are going for a good amount of money also. The kimber is definetly a more robust gun than the CZ's. I have shot a lot of old remington 541's also. These are a really nice 22 that i would say is as nice if not better than the kimber. There are different models in the 541 some very fancy.

I have never shot an annie but i hear amazing things about them. I woulg go for the Kimber over the cooper. I can't see spending that much on a 22 after seeing how good the kimbers can shoot.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    ++ on the CZ 452. Great guns and tack drivers. Cost a lot less than anschultz. Had one and loved it. Only traded it cause I got a killer deal on another rifle

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm just stating my opinion. If you or others want to spend that much. Then you have every right to. I do not think some guns are worth the the price. I have shot a lot of .22's from cheap to expensive. I was just saying the OP should check out a Savage. Nor, did I say the other rifles where crap. I stated that what may be PREMIUM to one person may not be to another.

I disagree. Premium quality is premium quality. Whether or not you can or want to fork over the money for premium quality is not the question. Again, the OP stated that he is in the market for a premium .22 cal. bolt-action rifle.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Whittakers stocks the Coopers, and I think they might carry Anshutz.
    They also have Remington 40x and the 547's with Shilen barrels and some 10/22's over $1,000

Cooper's founder did donate to Obama during the election, fwiw.

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Keep in mind many of the guns listed are clearly bench guns - if your going to really use it to hunt squirrels they do climb trees.

I got a CZ 452 (LOVE IT!!!) Varmint for squirrels and found its too heavy to aim from any position other than bench or prone, neither is good in the woods for squirrel. And its on the lighter end of bench guns.

I'm planning on getting a 452 American for my rimfire hunting gun (or scoping my Lux).

Top Bottom