• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I was cleaning around the house and ran into the manual for my g17 serpa retention holster's manual.

Rule #3 ALWAYS use care when holstering any handgun to avoid unintentional cocking of the firearm. After holstering, check to make sure the handgun is not in a cocked position.

I know some people carry without on in the chamber, just odd it would write it as a rule of thumb! lol

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    One word - LIABILITY

Their lawyers made them put that on there just in case someone has an AD and says "I didn't know it was loaded" b.s.

Kind of like how restaraunts have to say that coffee is "HOT" when they serve it to you...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    One word - LIABILITY

There lawyers made them put that on there just in case someone has an AD and says "I didn't know it was loaded" b.s.

Kind of like how restaraunts have to say that coffee is "HOT" when they serve it to you...:rolleyes:
    "I spilled the coffee on my lap and it burns! Why would you give me hot coffee? Expect a call from my lawyer, because I'm an idiot!"

Common sense does not prevail in a world full of idiots...just sayin'.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    "I spilled the coffee on my lap and it burns! Why would you give me hot coffee? Expect a call from my lawyer, because I'm an idiot!"

Exactly...some of the wild disclaimers that have to be put on products these days is just incredible. We need one catch all disclaimer that says "If you are an idiot, do not use this product."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe someone included that as a warning for conventional double-action pistols. It's usually not a great idea to holster those with the hammer cocked. You never know what might have happened to a specific warning that got "improved" by an editor.

I was cleaning around the house and ran into the manual for my g17 serpa retention holster's manual.

Rule #3 ALWAYS use care when holstering any handgun to avoid unintentional cocking of the firearm. After holstering, check to make sure the handgun is not in a cocked position.

I know some people carry without on in the chamber, just odd it would write it as a rule of thumb! lol

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Just remember, no matter how stupid the warning is, there was ALWAYS some stupider that actually caused the reason for the warning. ;) Try reading the warnings on spray bottles and aerosol cans. :):

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Just remember, no matter how stupid the warning is, there was ALWAYS some stupider that actually caused the reason for the warning. ;) Try reading the warnings on spray bottles and aerosol cans. :):

hehe, true. I've seen a lot of funny warnings. The ridiculous ones with a cartoon are the funniest.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I purchased an electric razor couple years back. On the power cord there is a little label with a graphic of sizzors cutting through the cord with the red circle-slash. How many people cut the power cords on their razors with sizzors?

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    I purchased an electric razor couple years back. On the power cord there is a little label with a graphic of sizzors cutting through the cord with the red circle-slash. How many people cut the power cords on their razors with sizzors?

oh crap. you arent supposed to do that when you are done using it? what, do you unplug it from the wall or something?

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN

Having worked a long while in the skydiving industry I happen to know about the McDonald's coffee in the lap case. We have to sign many pages of "release from liability" to accept the risk of skydiving. The coffee case is quoted often. However, that case was not simple hot coffee. The woman in the case received burns so bad it required skin grafts. Do you think you need skin grafts if you spill some coffee on you made in your house? No I don't think you would.

What McDonald's did was make a conscious corporate decision to ensure their coffee was MUCH hotter than what you would expect. Basicly on the menu instead of "hot coffee" it should have read "molten hot lava". They did not filter their water to take metals out knowing that it would keep the hot coffee hot until reaching the office.

So, it's not a matter of some dumb woman who can't handle her coffee. It's the fact that what was sold was not what was expected. AND McDonald's had a pattern of settling cases like this but in this case they wanted to make an example of her. The jury did not like that and handed McDonald's their ***.

It's kinda like people who talk about "drinking the kool-aid". The mass suicide in Jone's Town that lead to the phrase did not actually drink kool-aid but a british knock off called flavor-aid. However, the collective concious refuses to rectify these flaws.

You are all now more smart for having read this post.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Having worked a long while in the skydiving industry I happen to know about the McDonald's coffee in the lap case. We have to sign many pages of "release from liability" to accept the risk of skydiving. The coffee case is quoted often. However, that case was not simple hot coffee. The woman in the case received burns so bad it required skin grafts. Do you think you need skin grafts if you spill some coffee on you made in your house? No I don't think you would.

What McDonald's did was make a conscious corporate decision to ensure their coffee was MUCH hotter than what you would expect. Basicly on the menu instead of "hot coffee" it should have read "molten hot lava". They did not filter their water to take metals out knowing that it would keep the hot coffee hot until reaching the office.

So, it's not a matter of some dumb woman who can't handle her coffee. It's the fact that what was sold was not what was expected. AND McDonald's had a pattern of settling cases like this but in this case they wanted to make an example of her. The jury did not like that and handed McDonald's their ***.

It's kinda like people who talk about "drinking the kool-aid". The mass suicide in Jone's Town that lead to the phrase did not actually drink kool-aid but a british knock off called flavor-aid. However, the collective concious refuses to rectify these flaws.

You are all now more smart for having read this post.
    Random bits of useless knowledge are great, and sometimes they actually serve a purpose. I am smarter for reading that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Could you explain more about this? How did metals affect the situation? The specific heat for all metals is miniscule compared to the specific heat of pure water. The colligative properties of what was dissolved in the water could raise the boiling point somewhat, but not dramatically. The stuff suspended in the water (i.e. most of the coffee) probably has a lower specific heat than water (by far), but I don't have a good guess as to how much it could raise the boiling point.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Could you explain more about this? How did metals affect the situation? The specific heat for all metals is miniscule compared to the specific heat of pure water. The colligative properties of what was dissolved in the water could raise the boiling point somewhat, but not dramatically. The stuff suspended in the water (i.e. most of the coffee) probably has a lower specific heat than water (by far), but I don't have a good guess as to how much it could raise the boiling point.

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Thanks! That certainly helped with understanding the policy of serving the coffee at higher temperatures intentionally. The claims about burn times and temperature were a bit shaky, though, and I can see why another court (in the UK) rejected the assertion. I'd have to hear more about the analysis before I'd buy those numbers.

I didn't see anything about metals or how filtering them would have made any difference. That's the part of the previous poster's message that has me curious.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom