• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I calculated that you would have to adjust your firing pin to protrude 1.276" LOL (I'm making this up, I'm a noob here but this sends off red flags like crazy.)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yep. You guys have pretty much confrimed what I was thinking when I read it. But, I thought before saying something, I'd check on it, since I down't own an M14 or anything else chambered in 7.62 Nato.

I thought that there may be some sort of chamber insert / bolt extension that would allow it (along the lines of the .22LR conversion for the AR) and didn't want to pipe up without all the facts.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    The extractor would more than likely hold the shorter case against the breech face sufficiently well enough to allow for primer engagement. If it were attempted using a brass cased 7.62x39 cartridge, it would fire form the case and seal the chamber upon firing. I doubt that it would hurt the rifle at all if any. Yes there is a jump from the case to the rifling, but it's pretty insignificant in terms of potential to cause damage. A steel case wouldn't fire form so well and there would probably be some serious issues due to an insufficient chamber seal. With that said, I wouldn't try it on a rifle that I own or outside of a lab environment.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Here's what a 7.62x39 looks like inside of a 308W chamber.

IMG_0283.jpg

The extractor might hold the case against the bolt face, but the difference in base diameter is going to have the projectile pointed against the chamber shoulder due to extractor loading.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Maybe next the guy will try putting a 30-30 through a Dragnov! :lmfao: I gotta see an update on this. What forum is this idiot posting on? I wouldn't sign up for it, I'm just curious. I figured you didn't want to say, but I didn't see anyone else ask so I piped up! :D :thumbsup:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Do you mean SKS survivors like as in cancer survivors? I don't know much about the SKS platform but if they have a support groug for people who have "survived" ownership of these things I'm...I'm..well I don't know what to think about it.
    Don't answer that, I'm totally kidding. I couldn't pass it up.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    The extractor would more than likely hold the shorter case against the breech face sufficiently well enough to allow for primer engagement.

I don't know much about m14's, but I don't believe they are a controlled round feed design, therefore the rim would probably never engage the extractor, unless maybe you opened the bolt and placed the case into it by hand. Second, I believe the rim is a considerably smaller diameter on a 7.62x39 than a 7.62x51 so that wouldn't even work either.

Plain and simple, it is BS.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This came from Survivor's SKS boards. It is a very good forum, and there are several INGO guys over on it. In fact, that's how I found out about INGO!! :ingo:

Here's the thread link. You should be able to view as a guest. Still no update...

7.62 X 39 Ammo Interchangeable?

Crap I'm on there already! LoL I stopped going when I sold my SKS. I want another one though with the TAPCO stock like i had it. :tantrum:

Do you mean SKS survivors like as in cancer survivors? I don't know much about the SKS platform but if they have a support groug for people who have "survived" ownership of these things I'm...I'm..well I don't know what to think about it.
    Don't answer that, I'm totally kidding. I couldn't pass it up.

:lmfao:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Crap I'm on there already! LoL I stopped going when I sold my SKS. I want another one though with the TAPCO stock like i had it. :tantrum:

:lmfao:

Yeah, need to get you another SKS. Saw one in the WTS with the ATI folder...get it and swap for the Tapco.

I don't know the whole story on the "Survivor's" part, but I think that it is "Survivor's" as in the guy that started the forum survived something. Fortunately its not about those of use that survived our SKS experiences! :D

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    If what you shot in basic was an M14, it sure as heck wasn't a .30-06. Garand M1, yeah; M14, no. There were exactly "0" M14's made in that chambering.

On the other hand, when I went to boot camp we qualified with M1's converted to fire 7.62x51 NATO with the "Navy Sleeve" chamber insert.

Whoever posted that ridiculous misinformation that they purported to be the 'how' and 'why' the 7.62x51 cartridge and the M14 came about must have pretty brown eyes, 'cause they're certainly completely brim-full of excrement.

If that post is left standing, in the event that anyone foolishly decides to actually test that little theorum for themselves and succeeds in getting one to discharge, the author(s) and site moderators/operators should be held criminally liable if they get maimed as a result, IMO.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    UPDATE!

A few more posts were made on the SKS forum. In short, the 7.62x39 was manually loaded into the M14 and fired at a burm. It fired, but did not cycle. No word on the case condition or rifle condition afterward.

Still inconclusive, but sounds like it if did happen, somehow the extractor held the case tight to the bolt face so it would allow the firing pin to strke, and then the bulled made the jump into the bbl.

So, I'm not ready to call the OP on that board out on it. It may have been one of those "Hey y'all, watch this" moments and it was fortunate someone got killed. The responses don't seem like he's being as defensive as some folks caught in a lie. Either way, KIDS: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

We fired the x39 thru an M14 out in the desert after a conversation about the two. One of my E-7s took a x39 and loaded it in the M14 without a mag so not sure how it would chamber. The round fired, but did not eject. He was only shooting at a burm so not sure how accurate it was, but he did hit the burm about 50m away. We didn't think to look at the casing after it was fired so don't have any info there either. At the time it was more a would or wouldn't it and when it fired we left it at that.

I was standing off to the side and know he had the mag out when he put it in, not sure of exactly how he put it in. You do have me wandering now, as soon as I get home gonna have to look at my M1A and try it. Could be a fluk, I saw a guy shoot .40 thru a .45 once and it worked, just wouldn't cycle.

Top Bottom