• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Did I read that right? They are wanting to ban the manufacture and transfer of "Assault Rifles"?

Please tell me I am wrong.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    That was the longest list of bolt-action rifles I've ever seen! WTF is wrong with these people?!?!

If(WHEN!!!!) you write your reps, I'd like to see some of the letters :)

ETA: My first sentence was an observation, the second was a seperate accusation lol :)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Did I read that right? They are wanting to ban the manufacture and transfer of "Assault Rifles"?

You are wrong. They want to ban the manufacture, transfer AND POSESSION of them and High-caps. Only date that it doesn't matter for is manufacture before Oct. 1993 (If I read it right, kinda skimmed). If Scotus rules against complete bans of handguns, I dont see how they could pass this.

How about this, instead of spending your (representitive's) time and our money on useless crap, and do something useful. :xmad:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    So ignoring the Infowars crap..... I did send this message off to my representative.

Dear Congressman Burton

Regarding H.R.6257.

I am exceptionally disheartened by the Congress even considering bringing back the flawed assault weapons ban. This ban did nothing to prevent unlawful gun owners from using weapons to commit crimes. The only people affected by bad gun laws, is law abiding citizens.

As a believer in the second amendment, and my own responsibility to defend my family I am fully against any legislation that further limits our right to own firearms. I will not vote for someone who supports limiting our rights. As such a vote is to make me a more likely victim of violent crime.

Writing not being my strong suit, I still think it gets the point across.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    You are wrong. They want to ban the manufacture, transfer AND POSESSION of them and High-caps. Only date that it doesn't matter for is manufacture before Oct. 1993 (If I read it right, kinda skimmed). If Scotus rules against complete bans of handguns, I dont see how they could pass this.

How about this, instead of spending your (representitive's) time and our money on useless crap, and do something useful. :xmad:
    I thought that it would be okay to possess anything that was legally possessed before the date of the ban? I'll re-skim it again.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    This will be probably be a stupid question, but I am aiming more towards ignorant.

How does one go about writing their representative?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    No way we can let this pass. Forward it to all the NRA members you can and all gun owners you can. Forget about Email, hand written and typed mailed letters get read and responded to more often and are usually regarded as a real concern from their voters and will take note more than an email. Let's git-r-dun! F*** this S***! They can't do it! We can't LET them do it! Let's go sink a Transport ship loaded with Tea! The redcoats are coming! The redcoats are coming! Oneith by House, Twoith by Senate! AHHHHH!!!!!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This will be probably be a stupid question, but I am aiming more towards ignorant.

How does one go about writing their representative?
    Federal or state? House or Senate?

For US Reps, go to United States House of Representatives, 110th Congress, 2nd Session and at the top left side, you can find your rep by your own zip code. Their House webpage should give contact info. For US Senators, U.S. Senate has the same thing, top right.

For your state reps, go to Indiana General Assembly and you can find them by chamber and party. If you want further info, or if this is in some way unclear, please drop me a PM and I'll do what I can to help. :)

Oh, and no, it's not stupid. The only stupid question there is is, "Is it loaded?" (only because they are ALL ALWAYS loaded! ;))

Blessings,
    B

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

For US Reps, go to United States House of Representatives, 110th Congress, 2nd Session and at the top left side, you can find your rep by your own zip code. Their House webpage should give contact info. For US Senators, U.S. Senate has the same thing, top right.

For your state reps, go to Indiana General Assembly and you can find them by chamber and party. If you want further info, or if this is in some way unclear, please drop me a PM and I'll do what I can to help. :)

Blessings,
    B

That works too....:n00b:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway

Oh, and no, it's not stupid. The only stupid question there is is, "Is it loaded?" (only because they are ALL ALWAYS loaded! ;))

Blessings,
    B
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot and see whether I am teh FAIL or not. :thumbsup:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars

As someone stated earlier, it also includes possession.
    And it's not just rifles. it's "assault weapons," where "assault weapons" are defined as:

• `(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means--
      • `(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as--
        • `(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
        • `(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
        • `(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
        • `(iv) Colt AR-15;
        • `(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
        • `(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
        • `(vii) Steyr AUG;
        • `(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
        • `(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
      • `(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
        • `(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
        • `(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
        • `(iii) a bayonet mount;
        • `(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
        • `(v) a grenade launcher;
      • `(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
        • `(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
        • `(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
        • `(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
        • `(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
        • `(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
      • `(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
        • `(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
        • `(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
        • `(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
        • `(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.
    Which means... every single in pistol in my house will be illegal to manufacture, sell/purchase, and OWN.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    • (a) RESTRICTION- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding after subsection (u) the following:
    • `(v)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon.
    • `(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of the enactment of this subsection.
    • `(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--
      • `(A) any of the firearms, or replicas or duplicates of the firearms, specified in appendix A to this section, as such firearms were manufactured on October 1, 1993;
    That reads as any firearm that has been transferred or possessed before the date that this subsection is enacted is exempt from paragraph 1.

Maybe I'm still wrong, but that's how I interpret it.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Since this is currently in the House of Representatives. You would want to write the congressman in your district. For me, it's Dan Burton.

Top Bottom