• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. I read all the posts and I to am having difficulty throwing a consistent charge. I am trying to load 4.5 grs of Titegroup and I get anything from 4.3 to 4.7. Some charges drop under 4.

How do I know which drum I have in my measure? I am pretty sure it only came with one.

I ran a lb of powder through after thoroughly washing the parts. I am using the baffle to.

Do I just need to keep running charges until I get consistent? Is this operator error? Sometimes I can drop 3-4 charges the same, say 4.5, then I get a 3.8 or a 4.3.

Edit: I may have found at least part of my problem. I bought the powder measure new from Midway and it appears it comes with just the large cylinder but two of the micometer screws which I thought was all I needed to load pistol. It looks like I need the small drum. Which they are out of!

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I do the double tap up and down plus I put a funnel in the top of the hopper and keep powder in it, that way the powder level in the hopper is always the same throughout the batch. Then I drop a couple dozen charges or so untill the powder starts to feed from the funnel. The settling charges I put back in the funnel.
    Then I set my charge weight by measuring 10 throws for an average. Example, if my intended single charge weight is 5.0 gns then 10 times that is 50 gns.
    I always recheck the charge weight every 50 round batch to make sure nothing has changed. This works very good for me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom