• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Why is it banned by the government and not just regulated?

Because you are not allowed to cut into the profits of the mega corps! Buying REAL milk from someone with a healthy cow would take money from the HUGE producers. (Who cares if their milk is contaminated? :dunno:) The government supports those who contribute to their campaigns.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    This is correct. It is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption but not for pets. It IS legal to own your own cows or goats and drink that milk raw. It is frightening how much better raw milk is for you than pasteurized, which has basically had the nutrients burned out of it.

Goats are a less expensive way to go, and the milk tastes almost exactly the same as raw cow milk.
    The milk does taste about the same provided you can keep your goat away from weeds! Goats have a taste for bitter herbs, which is how they got the reputation for eating trash. Bitter herbs make for nasty tasting milk! I agree that goats are less expensive to feed. Also a lot less poo to real with!

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Homestead Acres
    5254 N 500 E.
    Kokomo, in 46901
    765-628-3561

Open Wed. - Fri. 1-7 pm

Raw Milk $6.00 gal.-$3.50 1/2 gal.
    Raw Cream $12.00 qt. - $7.00 pt.
    Raw Yogurt/Kefir $6.50 qt.
    Raw Milk Butter $11.75 lb. - $6.35 1/2 lb.

Homestead Acres has excellent products! Two of my other favorites:

The Swiss Connection
    The Swiss Connection  home
    100% Grass Fed Dairy and Meats
    Clay City, IN

"Pet Products" are listed on their website. They are excellent!
    Vogel Certified Organic Dairy Farm
    Franklin, IN

Home Page

"Pet Products" are not listed on their website, call for information.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I just saw a strange segment on FOX Chicago News about this. Apparently the .gov is conducting SWAT-style raids on stores selling raw milk. They were also showing UC videos of Amish smuggling raw milk into New York. I have to admit I was not aware that this was going on in the world...very bizarre.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yes, it is quite illegal to sell raw milk across state lines. That will get you into big time trouble with the feds.

It is also illegal to transport it across state lines. So, if you live in Ohio and go to Penn to get some milk, you'll put yourself and the farmer in a bind.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I know of a place just west of coatsville right off Rockville Rd. PM me if your interested

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    The government wants to lock us out of any ability to provide food for ourselves. Control the food and you control the people.

I'd like to buy raw milk to try in making homemade cheese. I'm sure they don't want me to be able to do that. One tiny piece of control lost.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    The government wants to lock us out of any ability to provide food for ourselves. Control the food and you control the people.

I'd like to buy raw milk to try in making homemade cheese. I'm sure they don't want me to be able to do that. One tiny piece of control lost.

Add to that - the big corporations don't want to lose the income also. (And they own the government personnel) (Big milk producers, chemical companies, etc.)

They don't want us to have that choice. (Think of the health of our children without the additives. Would we have as much autism if the kids drank/used fresh milk?)

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    I work in a QA lab of a national dairy brand...and let me tell you this, I would not drink raw milk in any quanity you might consider "normal consumption". small amounts is probably fine, or for animals. raw dairy product(milk/cream, ect.) is crawling with gram+ bacteria, most of which can make you sick.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I work in a QA lab of a national dairy brand...and let me tell you this, I would not drink raw milk in any quanity you might consider "normal consumption". small amounts is probably fine, or for animals. raw dairy product(milk/cream, ect.) is crawling with gram+ bacteria, most of which can make you sick.

That's the difference between huge mega producers and small farms where the cattle live healthier/cleaner lives I guess.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    That's the difference between huge mega producers and small farms where the cattle live healthier/cleaner lives I guess.

not true, our raw suppliers come from everywhere. From the 2000 head mega farms to the 10 head family operations. its all the same...the bacteria is inherent to the milk.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

I certainly would not recommend switching from 2% to raw milk immediately (your body probably couldn't handle the natural levels of bacteria in raw milk), but milk is healthy to drink provided it has been properly harvested using clean hands/utensils from a healthy animal and kept at proper temperatures.

Now, you need to keep an eye out for problems with the milk as a result of those bacteria, but it is still healthy to drink provided your body is somewhat conditioned.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    Out of curiosity, when/where are the samples being taken?

samples are taken directly from the tanker immediately upon reciept (before we off-load it). along with all the documentation there are many things we check before we use it for production. It gets a temp check, must be below 45 degrees, anything above that greatly increases bac. growth and we reject it. It gets plated for Coliforms and SPC. along with a titratable acidity test(used to check freshness). as well as all the documentation(wash ticket, origin blah, blah, blah). if its not to our specs for any reason the load gets rejected and the supplier gets no payment...so its in their best interest to supply us with a quality raw product.

believe it or not (most)companies do care about quality, if not than no one would buy our product.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My cousin works for Pasture's Delights, a raw milk dairy in Decatur, Indiana. I contacted her to see if there was anything she could do to help you out. This is how it works.

To get the milk, Pasture's Delights sells you a share of their herd and as a herd owner you are entitled to a share of the milk. It's a lot like a CSA. This is perfectly legal according to Indiana state laws (supreme court ruled so). To find out more about Pastures Delights, you can visit their website: Welcome to Pasture's Delights!.

Right now, the dairy delivers to Fort Wayne, Carmel, Munster, Warsaw, and Roanoke. Also looking at starting some other deliveries in central Indiana (Muncie, Anderson, Greenwood) if they get enough interested people in those areas. They can't deliver out of state. If anyone is interested, my cousin said you can email her at marketing@pasturesdelights.com.

They do some farmers markets and stuff around the Ft. Wayne area but they can't sample the milk because of laws.

Top Bottom