• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Purty day out, Sean disappeared to a friend's birthday party (which we didn't find out about till this morning,) so Cathy requested permission to go shooting :D

Little windy out, but a very pleasant day. Our club has taken down all the target holders and we now have to bring our own, so we stopped and got one of those cheapo Allen metal target holders. Cathy promptly shot it. Fortunately, it held two targets, so we were still able to use the other side. Cathy then promptly shot the center post :laugh:, but she just kind of nicked it, so we've still got a useable target holder. Fortunately, she started shooting straighter LOL.

Just wanted to have a relaxing day shooting, so we just did some good ole fashioned target shooting for the most part. 25 rounds 2 handed strong hand, 25 rounds 2 handed weak hand, 25 rounds 1 hand strong hand, then we burned our last 20 each doing double taps onto our life sized plastic silhouettes, because we'd brought them with us and it would have been a shame not to shoot at them! On the paper, I was shooting 5 round strings, with first shot double action. She shot all single action today. Double were from the holster for me, first shot DA of course. She stuch with single action, and started from low ready.

I'm pretty pleased with my shooting, and my gun. Cathy isn't pleased with her shooting, but I thought she did OK. She's getting back into practice, and showed steady improvement throughout the day. I didn't realize until today that she's never done any weak hand shooting. I practice it with fair regularity, but she's always whined her way out of it, until today. Made her "man up" and just do it! Imagine her surprise when she found out that it didn't much matter which hand she was shooting with, keep the front sight on target, and a smooth steady trigger press and you hit the target. Slap the trigger, and you shoot the target holder :D She's been working on her trigger control, and it's getting better. Made her work on malfunction clearance for a few minutes, and she handled that fine. It's hard to convince her of the necessity, because she's always had very reliable guns. She's a decent paper puncher now, getting ready to shoot some Instructional League matches with ACT, and more importantly she's going to take some defensive shooting training with them. The competition (especially given how competitive she is) and training will teach her to really use her gun. As for her gun, she's still getting used to her new S&W 439. It's the first double action semi-auto she's owned, and mastering the DA trigger is a challenge for her. She's got a week to get that licked!

We were having fun shooting and playing with each other, so didn't bother with pics at the range. Just a couple of our targets after we got home. Nobody tell the boy, but it was awfully nice, just the two of us. I do believe we are going to have to arrange more shooting dates without him :)

My targets, clockwise from upper left: 2 hand strong hand, 2 hand weak hand, 1 hand strong hand.
    Shooting4-18-10001.jpg

Cathy's targets, clockwise from upper left: 2 hand strong hand, 2 hand weak hand, 1 hand strong hand.
    Shooting4-18-10002.jpg

Top Bottom