• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The wife and I went to Crosley this morning to sight in a .17 Fireball Contender and just get some trigger time. The Contender came in way over expection. Once I got it sighted in with factory ammo, I switched to 4 different loads of home brew. Fired a 3 shot group with each load at 100 yards. They measured a best of 0.320" to "worst" of 0.703" (outside to outside minus bullet diameter). I'm ecstatic! Had a "squib" load in my AR varminter. Very little noise, no bolt movement. Fortunately, I never do any rapid fire and realized what had happened. I operated the bolt and the next round wouldn't chamber due to the bullet lodged in the barrel. Apparently, the round had no powder charge. Now I need to figure out why it happened. I'm going to weigh the remainder of that lot of ammo (my loads) to make sure I have no more such rounds. The wife got in a little practice with her Ruger Mk II "anti-snake device". She needed it after I ragged her about shooting "near" a rattlesnake in SD this year. (and got it on video :D) The range was empty when we arrived about 8AM and probably half full when we left about 10. We were the only ones shooting at 100 and nobody was at 200. Despite the following, we had a good time.

Rant: I sure hope nobody here is among the guilty parties but, if you are, you should be barred from using the range! The Crosley range was beyond trashed! There were large amounts of junked and torn up targets at the target line and somebody had set up a target made of a 2x4, a piece of chipboard, and some cardboard about midrange on the 100 yard range! I can't comprehend the stupidity of setting up a target 50 yards in front of the backstop! If you're going to break the rules at least do it by shooting from midrange to make sure the backstop contains your rounds on the range. We disassembled the midrange target and put it in the trash.

I understand abandoned brass and shotgun hulls. I understand leaving a usable piece of cardboard backing at the target line. What I don't understand is empty ammo boxes, pop cans, beer cans, and McDonalds sacks left on the ground under and around the benches.....within 2-3 feet of a 55 gallon trash barrel! I don't understand trashed targets left at the target line.

I always put up clean cardboard when I post my targets and regularly carry trash back to the trash barrels. Today I could have filled my truck with trash at the 50 and 100. It's a FREE public range with solid covered benches on concrete floors and good backstops. Idiots who use it and make no effort to even pick up their own trash will be the reason it ends up being closed. Rant Off!

Last edited:

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    The wife and I went to Crosley this morning to sight in a .17 Fireball Contender and just get some trigger time. The Contender came in way over expection. Once I got it sighted in with factory ammo, I switched to 4 different loads of home brew. Fired a 3 shot group with each load at 100 yards. They measured a best of 0.320" to "worst" of 0.703" (outside to outside minus bullet diameter). I'm ecstatic! Had a "squib" load in my AR varminter. Very little noise, no bolt movement. Fortunately, I never do any rapid fire and realized what had happened. I operated the bolt and the next round wouldn't chamber due to the bullet lodged in the barrel. Apparently, the round had no powder charge. Now I need to figure out why it happened. I'm going to weigh the remainder of that lot of ammo (my loads) to make sure I have no more such rounds. The wife got in a little practice with her Ruger Mk II "anti-snake device". She needed it after I ragged her about shooting "near" a rattlesnake in SD this year. (and got it on video :D) The range was empty when we arrived about 8AM and probably half full when we left about 10. We were the only ones shooting at 100 and nobody was at 200. Despite the following, we had a good time.

Rant: I sure hope nobody here is among the guilty parties but, if you are, you should be barred from using the range! The Crosley range was beyond trashed! There were large amounts of junked and torn up targets at the target line and somebody had set up a target made of a 2x4, a piece of chipboard, and some cardboard about midrange on the 100 yard range! I can't comprehend the stupidity of setting up a target 50 yards in front of the backstop! If you're going to break the rules at least do it by shooting from midrange to make sure the backstop contains your rounds on the range. We disassembled the midrange target and put it in the trash.

I understand abandoned brass and shotgun hulls. I understand leaving a usable piece of cardboard backing at the target line. What I don't understand is empty ammo boxes, pop cans, beer cans, and McDonalds sacks left on the ground under and around the benches.....within 2-3 feet of a 55 gallon trash barrel! I don't understand trashed targets left at the target line.

I always put up clean cardboard when I post my targets and regularly carry trash back to the trash barrels. Today I could have filled my truck with trash at the 50 and 100. It's a FREE public range with solid covered benches on concrete floors and good backstops. Idiots who use it and make no effort to even pick up their own trash will be the reason it ends up being closed. Rant Off!
    attebury used to be treated the same way. now you have to pay and can only be used fri. sat. sunday.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    What is common to all is respected by none.

I see it all the time, especially in state parks and campgrounds. I've seen people who keep their cars spotless, but leave trash sitting on a picnic table. Since it is not theirs, they don't respect it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This is one reason why we purchased our own land and rarely ever venture onto public shooting lands.

It amazes me how idiotic some shooters are. We are often our own worst enemies. Slob hunters. Slob shooters. I want none of them because they are ruining it for the rest of us.

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's the kind of lazy, sloppy crap that the Forest Service used as justification to try and shut down recreational shooting on USFS properties. A few stupid, lazy, boneheads can ruin things for the rest of us. Yeah, leaving behind cardboard pieces of appropriate size for the range's target stands is one thing, not throwing your lunch wrapper away is inexcusable.

:ar15:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Me and a buddy usually go to Crosley 3-4 time a month. Everytime we go down there its like that. The buiding are shot up, target holders shot up, trash everywhere. We continue to go down there and shoot because of the price and availability. Never caught anyone acting stupid or unsafe, but would definately correct them. I'm sure they wont keep it free for much longer if it continues to get trashed.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Where is this place? PM me with a location and if it's not too far, I'll go clean it up from time to time. I need to find a nearby place to shoot anyways.

You're a better man than I am. I would pick up in the area I used whether it was my trash or not, but I'm not about to police up an entire range.

mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    I remember the old days at Atterbury, people bringing sheets of drywall and old applicances to shoot at!! Why can't people use a little common sense and courtesy is beyond me.

Top Bottom