• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ron

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    I went to a range a few days ago and shot a couple hundred rounds of 9mm. After I was finished cleaning my pistols, I realized that I spend way too much time cleaning my pistols.

I want to try a small experiment. I'm looking to purchase a decent 9mm pistol for range use only. I'm only going to be using something like Rem Action to clean it, maybe a minor cleaning and field strip every thousand rounds or so.

I was looking at the Beretta 92FS, CZ-85, Charles Daly Jericho, HK P7. I'm looking for something that has had a proven service record and is not made of polymer.

What do you guys think?

1/2 shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    State of Confusion
    Cleanlyness is next to Godlyness, by the way I heard he shoots a 1911.:D

Edit: It's always been my experience that anything mechanical needs to be cleaned and maintained, even if not doing it doesn't hurt, it stands to reason that it just makes things last longer and have better resale value. But then I'm an old guy. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the pistols you mentioned. A 1911 is a pretty well proven non polymer service pistol though, having had one on my hip from '70-'72 in the Marines I know.

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Shoot em' until they die, replace the parts and do it again. Life's too short to spend it cleaning guns...

Just kidding.

I don't really clean my stuff that often though. I just make sure there is a little lube in it to make it run decently smooth.

It's just metal parts put together to fire a projectile... not a family member.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Very few of my guns get cleaned more often than 1k rounds. Even true of my ARs. Only exception is my carry gun may not get cleaned every time it's shot, but not usually more than 500 rounds between quick internal wipe down.

Match guns get cleaned every 1k - 3k rounds.

On the extreme is a beretta I only use for practice that has gone as many as 20k rounds between cleanings (every so often I would put a drop of lube on the locking block, but that's all. and that can be done from the top w/o taking the gun apart).

Any pistol should be able to go 1k w/o cleaning, or I wouldn't keep it.

I really, really hate cleaning guns.

-rvb

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How about a Sig P226? They're known for their reliability. It should make for an interesting test.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    How about a Sig P226? They're known for their reliability. It should make for an interesting test.

Esrice and Myself will perform the test if anyone would like to donate the ammo, pistol (s), force on force training and advanced pistol courses. :):

PM us when we should start and when the equipment, supplies and money will arrive.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You should get together with some INGO members and shoot everything around. Many guns are a definate "no" or "yes" but only after you shoot them. They all look great in the pictures.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    How about a Browning High Power? Why use a copy of the original when you could easily find the real deal! I would look for one with the enhanced sights(either tangent or target) but that is just my preference. By most reports, they are not too finicky and definately durable.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    How about you buy a glock 9mm and shoot it with no cleaning what-so-ever until it won't shoot any more. let us know how long it takes, I am curious.

edit: just noticed "not made of polymer." in that case, I say go for a 92fs

ron

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    How about you buy a glock 9mm and shoot it with no cleaning what-so-ever until it won't shoot any more. let us know how long it takes, I am curious.

I have 2 reasons for not wanting a polymer pistol for this experiment. I already own 2 polymer pistols. The aerosol cleaners I plan on using to clean this pistol, sometimes have adverse effects on plastics.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well from what you have listed. I have owned CZ's and love them. On the other hand my 92, is one gun I would never part ways with. If you go that rout, I highly sugest Hogue grips for the 92. It makes a huge difference.

AngryFish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    My beretta 92 is a little bit sensitive to grime buildup and fowling. I do have a CZ75 that is very reliable but the most ive shot out of it before cleaning was about 500rds.

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    Just get a box of Hipoints. They are cheap enough, if one dies on to the next one.:laugh:

Last edited:

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    What every do atleast clean it eveyonce in a while. If not for yourself then for the guy that you will one day sell it or trade it too. I purchased a Star Super A today for a good deal but when it got it, it was so dirty that the grips were black!!!

ron

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Ha, actually I take back what I said about polymer frames. I was just looking at a Glock 17L. I have to say I'm very interested. It would be fun to put the famed Glock reliability to test.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Agreed

I with this fellow, go with the Beretta 92FS.:patriot:

Terry

Top Bottom