• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Anyone shoot there? How are the facilities? Is it a nice range? Opinions? How would you rate it? Worth a 45 minute drive?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I shoot there. No RSO's, so you're dependent on everyone being adults. The upside is that you can draw from a holster (which I can't practice anywhere else). 1st berm is just shy of 50yds, backstop is close to 100yds. You have to cross a small creek to get to your targets unless you're shooting < 5-10yds. It's closed on Sundays and whenever local LEO's want/need to qualify. I think there are 5 benches to shoot from, maybe only 4. It's free.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I live about 3 miles from the range, and shoot there every now, and then. There is a lot of idiots there, be careful. Last time I was there I was laying prone sighting in a .308 bolt gun. I ejected a shell, popped another in, looked through my scope, and what did I see ?? Some moron walking in front of my barrel !! I looked up at the guy, and he says "sorry". I replied nowhere near as sorry as you would have been had I pulled the trigger.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I live about 3 miles from the range, and shoot there every now, and then. There is a lot of idiots there, be careful. Last time I was there I was laying prone sighting in a .308 bolt gun. I ejected a shell, popped another in, looked through my scope, and what did I see ?? Some moron walking in front of my barrel !! I looked up at the guy, and he says "sorry". I replied nowhere near as sorry as you would have been had I pulled the trigger.

wow... ok so maybe I don't want to go now?

4 words: Fire Arm Safety Training ???

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    It's not bad if it's near empty, but thats what you get with a free range with no supervision. Most of the people that go there are safe, but I have seen a lot of crap there as well. People shooting there "gats" side ways, shooting the use to be out house up, etc. Let me know if you decide to go, maybe I can join yah.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah, this. I usually try to go on a weekday, and early. I always go as early as possible on the weekends. I may actually try to go this friday, but will probably have to work. According to my range-finder, it's 39 yds to the top of the first berm, and 98 to the bottom of the big hill at the back.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    early is best ...last time I went all the benches were full (around 1pm on a friday) , found a nice gentleman that shared his bench with us till he left ,
    but as on persone left 2 more would show up , and the got worse as the day went .
    was just waiting for the HOMEBOYS from the ville to show up ...but we left before it got to bad ..:ingo:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I just got this from a DNR officer who happens to be a close friend of mine. Figured I'd share with you all...

"I don't know about the competency of the people who shoot there, but those that I've seen aren't that bad, and we've never had a problem or any incident involving someone getting shot or anything crazy like that. There is also a LE range down there that cops frequent. I just like it because it's right next to a lake, so when I'm done being a man with a gun, I can be a man with a boat.
    At any rate, I don't think it's bad at all, I kind of enjoy it, but I've also been accused of being a "company man," so take it as you will, I guess."

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I just got this from a DNR officer who happens to be a close friend of mine. Figured I'd share with you all...

"I don't know about the competency of the people who shoot there, but those that I've seen aren't that bad, and we've never had a problem or any incident involving someone getting shot or anything crazy like that. There is also a LE range down there that cops frequent. I just like it because it's right next to a lake, so when I'm done being a man with a gun, I can be a man with a boat.
    At any rate, I don't think it's bad at all, I kind of enjoy it, but I've also been accused of being a "company man," so take it as you will, I guess."
    Yes, it's next to one of several lakes in the park, but I'd sure hate to carry any kind of boat up the dam of the closest one, and the next closest is infested with snakes. I've never really had any problems there either, I just prefer to shoot in an un-crowded environment.

Top Bottom