::raises hand:: newbie here! first purchase questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Ok just got off work and tried to soak some of this up. The THREE main guns I was considering was either a Glock, a RI1911 or a 92fs. While I can always Google something and get some good information but also alot of generic info, I'll just ask the "pros" here:

Is the number following "Glock" a series type thing? size? what exactly is the meaning behind the 17 or the 22?

Either way, I agree fondling and/or possibly shooting some of the guns would be great. I have personally only ever shot anything in the Military, some 4+ years ago and under controlled conditions. I'd take the offer of anyone nearby with a little arsenal i'd buy some ammo for, but I live closer to OH then IN, so I'd be looking for someone particularly close.

either way, once I hear about the distinction on Glocks and the numbers following them, as well as hit a shop or one of you fellow members and feel out a Glock, RI1911 and 92FS respectively, I will make my decision on which I'd like to own. At the end of the day I may end up with 2, OWB for OC and a comfortable fit shoulder-holster for CC.

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Buy one of these you wont regret it ;)

102_2611-1.jpg

What is "these" lol, I can't really tell, no trained eye on 'em all yet.

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    So as far as affordability and watching/reading several videos and articles, I have decided I'm going to look further into 4 pistols total. At the end of my debacle, I'll have an OWB 9mm/.40 cal and a CC 9mm/.40 cal.

The guns I'm currently interested in and would love extra input on are:

OWB OC:

Glock 23 .40 cal. Glock 19 9mm counter-part. same size, different cal from what i'm reading/watching. 19 appears more popular.
    S&W M&P .40 cal Full size

Shoulder holster CC:

Glock 27 .40 cal.
    S&W M&P .40 cal compact

To my understanding and after several videos and articles, the difference between 9mm and .40 cal is null when regarding size and structure of the pistol, correct me if I am wrong.

I am also considering in place of the 23 and M&P .40 cal's for OC the Glock 21 .45.

I'm 6'0 210 with what i'd consider "large" hands for the most part, so no larger gun would look ridiculous on me.

I've always liked Smith & Wesson as a "household" name, I've had knives made by them for christ's sake. However, the seemingly unmatched reliability and reputation behind the Glock name is sort of making me lean that way. Any further information on the difference in 9mm and .40 cal would be great, as far as maybe the difference in cost for ammo or any other relevant information.

I have been doing a ton of research so I don't want to seem like some deadbeat wanting my hand held, I just undeniably value the opinion of people much older than I with the experience dealing with these types of weapons for so long. Thanks again INGO.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    From experience, I will tell you - don't sweat it so much. Try all you can, even ones you don't think you'll like. Don't get hung up on people's caliber preferences. They'll all get the job done. Try them all.

As you gain experience, your tastes will evolve. With experience, you'll find features that you thought were important, aren't, and vice versa. Take training classes that cost almost as much as, sometimes more than, the gun itself. That seems to be where the deficiencies in your carry rig really come to light.

There is no way to know what gun/holster combo carries comfortably for you without trying each one out for a considerable period. You'll spend a good amount of time and money trying to get this combination right. Almost everyone has a box full of used holsters that didn't quite work out.

What pistol to buy for your first, is small stuff. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Wear sunscreen

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    The first question should be, what is your experience with a pistol? I know you were around them in the past, but what is your confidence/competence level now? If this is your first handgun, I would recommend starting with a nice .22. Ruger, Browning, etc.

You should get pistol handling 101 down before you add the recoil (and the price of ammo). .22 ammo is cheap and readily available, so you can practice, practice, practice.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Remember, when it comes to guns, the subjective is objective. What one person likes, another will not.

2. Allow your software to select your hardware. The more hours of training that you have, the more you can make a selection based on what you will be optimal for you.

Borrow a gun, belt and holster, go to a class and start there.

Top Bottom