::raises hand:: newbie here! first purchase questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    If this is in the wrong thread just let me know or move it as I didn't see any other appropriate forum.

So I've been around guns most of my life, back when I was a kid and my father worked for the NYPD in Park Slope. Since then, though, I haven't been "in the loop" but have definitely seen/heard the debates about glocks and steel and plastic and blah the list goes on.

To be honest, I like the look of a Glock, but nothing says "HAYYYYY" like a solid commander-1911. Thing is, I don't have $1,000's for a pistol, and I've seen some impressive things done with glocks (buried for years and power-cycled, ect)

So, I want something that looks solid in a nice holster, looking like they were "made" for eachother type deal. What would be the recommendation? I don't want some cheap ugly looking pistol, something with some solid sharp looks that's affordable whether new or used. Thanks for any feedback on my dilemma.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Go fondle EVERYTHING in your price range and see what fits you. It's not all about aesthetics (although they are nice) but more about function and fit.

There are several companies that make excellent firearms for not a lot of money. Check out Bradis in camby or Premier Arms in brownsburg and see what they have and what is available

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I agree, handle as many as possible and try to shoot some too. Glocks are great. Cheap, simple, easy to use, and will out last all of us. There are so many great guns out there and everyone is different. I love Glocks but they arent for everyone. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I agree with the above. Glocks are as bare-bones reliable as a pistol can be with some great accessories. The Springfield XD series has really swept the market during the past few years. H&K, SiG, plenty of options on the affordable 1911 front, too. There is no substitute for trial and error. Lots of ranges have guns to rent. Try a few in as many calibers as possible. These are great times; plenty of resources and lots of options.

7orelevn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Greenwood
    If you like the 1911 feel I would suggest for a price break the Rock Island 1911. There are many models to choose from and at good prices. Just an idea for you.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    If you like the 1911 feel I would suggest for a price break the Rock Island 1911. There are many models to choose from and at good prices. Just an idea for you.

This is exactly right. I just saw the new Rock Island Armory Commander series today. The wife and I couldn't believe it. What a great, tight little gun. I've always liked the idea of the Rock Island Armory, but until today wasn't hugely impressed with value for money. STI Spartan, Taurus 1911, the Para GI Expert, and a few others offer great options in affordable 1911s with some nice options,

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Yeah, I would definitely say check out the Glock 22 or Rock Island Armory 1911.

I was just in Beech Grove Firearms and they had a VERY sharp looking and well fitting RIA 1911 that I was actually suprised to see at almost exactly the same price as a Glock. I've heard people make comments about the RIA 1911's that they are the "Highpoint" of 1911's but I don't think so. I've known two guys who bought one since Christmas and have put about 500 rounds each through them with zero issues.

I'll add a +1 to the guys saying "Go hold one", I don't know where you're located but I would say if you're in the Indy area that Beech Grove Firearms definitely has both that you can compare and I'd be willing to wager that Bradis (Who I've also done business with and very much like) and Plainfield Shooters Supply (I've never been but they get rave reviews by other users here) would also have a couple and those seem to be the three most "new handgun owner" friendly shops in town.

It all comes down to what feels best in your hand. Personally I say get both... carry the Glock in an IWB holster and a 1911 in an under shirt shoulder rig... :D

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Your question is why I think we should put some kind of our location. If we lived near each other I would be willing to meet you at the range and let you try out some of mine. Shooting is the best way to pick a handgun.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Go fondle EVERYTHING in your price range and see what fits you. It's not all about aesthetics (although they are nice) but more about function and fit.

There are several companies that make excellent firearms for not a lot of money. Check out Bradis in camby or Premier Arms in brownsburg and see what they have and what is available

This is great advice... with one exception... Come and see us instead! :D

No, really, Neo gives good advice.

I'm not a Glock guy because of fit. They are great guns but I much prefer the "fit and function" of the XD's and of course the 1911.

bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    If you have a local place that rents guns at a range, that is a really good way to see what feels best to you. I took my fiance to Popguns in Indy (not my favorite place, but it served it's purpose this time). We shot about every gun they had and it helped her decide what she wanted.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    +1 to the go try everything. Before actually shooting one I had the idea in my head that a 1911 was the gun for me, and only gagsta-thugs had glocks. Flash forward and most of my collections is glock, and a 1911 is one of those "good to own someday" guns. Its all about feel. If it doesn't feel right in your hand, and doesn't feel right as its firing, you might as well buy a sword for the amount you will use it.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    This is great advice... with one exception... Come and see us instead! :D

No, really, Neo gives good advice.

I'm not a Glock guy because of fit. They are great guns but I much prefer the "fit and function" of the XD's and of course the 1911.

Sorry :( didnt mean to leave anybody out. It was late and I pulled the first two names off the top of my head.

I'm the same way with the glock...great firearm in terms of functionality but I can't hit the broadside of a barn with one due to the ergonomics of them

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    The advice to try as many guns as you can - be it rentals, or meeting up with people to try theirs out - is the best advice out there. Heed it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

So, I want something that looks solid in a nice holster, looking like they were "made" for eachother type deal. What would be the recommendation? I don't want some cheap ugly looking pistol, something with some solid sharp looks that's affordable whether new or used. Thanks for any feedback on my dilemma.

If looks are important to you, I personally would recommend against the Glock or XD. Both are fine firearms, and I REALLY like the XD, but I just don't think they rock the world in the looks department.

For looks, Ruger and S&W revolvers, 1911s, and the Beretta 92FS top my personal list. They are every bit as good a guns as the two mentioned above, and are flat out sexy. BTW, you don't have to spend thousands to get a good 1911. Rock Island guns run $400-$500, ours were as accurate and reliable as ones costing much more, and a set of nice grips dresses them up nicely. Taurus PT1911s are very sharp looking guns, and very good ones, as are Springfield GI and Mil-spec 1911s, STI Spartan, and I like the looks of Remington's new offering though I've not gotten my hands on one yet. All of these can be had in the range of $500-$700. If you want a polymer striker fired gun, I think the M&Ps have a certain sex appeal, and also think the Ruger SR9 is a sharp looker.

All the guns I mentioned, including the Glock and XD, are fine functioning, durable, and accurate firearms. As others have mentioned, try them in your hand to see if it feels good and points well for you, if you like the control layout, and if possible shoot them. A gun that feels good sitting in your hand doesn't always feel as good when you actually shoot it. You've mentioned looks are important to you. I personally see nothing at all wrong with that so long as it doesn't override function, and that doesn't happen with any of the guns I've mentioned.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    As you've guessed by now, there are lots of options for a good gun that does not break the bank. It's good that you are also thinking about getting a good holster for it. There is a world of difference between a generic holster and a custom fit holster, and often, not a lot of price difference. My current favorite is an OWB scabbard holster by Kramer Leather. I have a lot of holsters, and a bunch of handguns, but this one holster drives my carry choice more often than not.

I have a bunch of nylon holsters and one of them was pretty good at first, but after about 6 months, it has frayed a lot and looks bad. I have other nylon holsters that are fit only for my kids airsoft gun, they are so bad. A good holster and belt keep the gun secure and do not let if flop around. Beware of the cheap holsters found at the 1500. The only holster I bought at the 1500 that I like is a Don Hume OWB for a Sig P238. There are good holsters there, but finding a good cheap holster is little better than finding good cheap optics.

Find a gun that fits you, a good belt and a good holster, and you'll be set for years. If you go with the $15 dollar generic holsters, you'll keep buying them and buying them looking for one that works and in the end, will have spent 3 times the money and still not have something you are comfortable with.

starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm a newbie too and I'm planning on buying mine this weekend, so I'm on the same boat. Fortunately, I had a friend that was kind enough to let me shoot some of his handguns. I think that's the most important part, because to me, XD felt a lot better than a Glock and a Beretta that I shot. I'm getting the XD.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Do we need to organize newb range days? Just tell where you live, and surely there will be quite a few INGO'ers nearby who are willing to let you fondle and fire some.

you provide the ammo, you can shoot anything I have

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Buy one of these you wont regret it ;)

102_2611-1.jpg

Top Bottom