• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'm fascinated that the standard deviation on all the other aspects of the brass are so tight that the range in weightcan be so directly correlated with the volume within the brass. without the benefit of experience like you guys, if i weighed a pile of brass I would have assumed the variation was more attributed to things like the brass alloy porosity, quality, maybe even variations in the density of material in the thicker base part.

Interesting. this accounts for what I learned from INGO today.

I understand what you are saying, but internal capacity is directly related to the weight of the brass. After resizing.

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    I am ready to start working up a loads for my AR that has a Rainier Match 18" 1:8 .223 Wylde barrel. I shot some factory ammo through it including V-Max 55 gr, Fusion 62 gr and Winchester Match 69 gr at 100 yards. I got the best groups out the 62 gr Fusion. I am looking to work up a good round for it though. I am looking at Barnes Target 69 gr, Sierra MatchKing 69 and 77 gr. A local guy that is known to be a good shooter recommended moving up to the 70+ gr bullets.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this barrel or similar and what bullet worked for you? I will be using Varget.

Thanks!

I have the same barrel on my Seekins build and all I shoot is Geco .223 55gr. through it and at 100yds it blows out the bullseye. I tried match grade Federal 69gr and Privi 75gr. and the Geco was as accurate if not more than these. The Geco is made in Switzerland and is very clean also.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have the same barrel on my Seekins build and all I shoot is Geco .223 55gr. through it and at 100yds it blows out the bullseye. I tried match grade Federal 69gr and Privi 75gr. and the Geco was as accurate if not more than these. The Geco is made in Switzerland and is very clean also.

My experience with Rainier Match barrels is the opposite; my 10.5 and 14.5 shoot heavier ammo much better than 55gr. The same holds true for my Ranier Select (7.5" and 14.5") and Ultramatch (12.5"). That said, if the accuracy with 55gr wasn't acceptable I wouldn't own so many. But all my Rainier barrels prefer 62gr and up over 55gr.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    My experience with Rainier Match barrels is the opposite; my 10.5 and 14.5 shoot heavier ammo much better than 55gr. The same holds true for my Ranier Select (7.5" and 14.5") and Ultramatch (12.5"). That said, if the accuracy with 55gr wasn't acceptable I wouldn't own so many. But all my Rainier barrels prefer 62gr and up over 55gr.

Thanks! Do you see better accuracy with 70+ gr or is 62 gr the sweet spot?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Thanks! Do you see better accuracy with 70+ gr or is 62 gr the sweet spot?

I don't shoot much 77gr since I don't reload, but I've put a small amount of 77gr FGMM through the 14.5's and the 12.5 sbr. At a 100 yard indoor range I did not notice any difference... with a better shooter and wind I would imagine it would be better, but there was no degradation going from 62gr to 77gr.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I don't shoot much 77gr since I don't reload, but I've put a small amount of 77gr FGMM through the 14.5's and the 12.5 sbr. At a 100 yard indoor range I did not notice any difference... with a better shooter and wind I would imagine it would be better, but there was no degradation going from 62gr to 77gr.

Thanks. I'm going to place an order for some projectiles today for reloading.

Top Bottom