• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Menards has them for $8 each. I had to dig a bit to find some nice ones. I got 6. I went to the Menards in Camby but i am sure the others will have them as well.

Last edited:

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Are they treated lumber or actual cross ties?

Actual railroad ties. Most of them have split from the pressure (like i said, i had to dig for awhile) and they all have marks from where the pressure pushed the gravel into them.

They are treated with the nasty stuff (creosote?) that comes off on your cloths and hands. Doesn't smell good either. BUT it lasts a heck of a long time! :rockwoot:

BTW, if you have never handled RR ties before. They weight a lot. And i am not exaggerating. It IS a 2 man move (well, one can do it, but don't expect to get out of bed the next day). Oh, and they measure 9" by 7" by just over 8' if i remember correctly.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Last year along the track on Pendleton Pike, between Mccordsville and Fortville they had hundreds stacked up. Can't say they were free but might try to find a number for CSX to see what they do with them.

Truckie174

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Pendleton
    There is a big stack of them next to the R.R.tracks on pendleton pike, between Fortville and Ingalls right now. There's a for sale sign on them. If you like, I can stop by and get the #. I drive by it all the time.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Wow ...flashback ...picking up railroad ties. I remember helping my parents do some landscaping for their garden. I will say that, when all was said and done, it looked very nice. But I will attest to how heavy they are. And, yes, they've lasted a long, long, time in their garden ...and it still looks nice (well, a lot better in the later spring and summer, anyway ;)). Get some friends, and beer for when it's done. ...I'm sore already just thinking about it! :D

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have maybe 10 or so. I need to ask the better half if she still has plans for them. I am by 465/71st street.

I will update if we are selling.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I put 60 of them on my 12-14k# car hauler trailer. It wwssquatting the trailer and half ton truck badly. I used my tractor and pallet forks to unload them. I think they run 150-200 # a piece.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    a standard cross tie is 8 ft long, switch ties range from 9-14 ft. I have seen them lifted by one guy, once, in 8 years on the railroad, and he was built larger than a silverback gorrilla.

if these are legit railroad ties, they will be saturated in creasote, wear gloves and long sleeves or you risk a serious chemical burn.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom