• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    Ok looking for a reliable 5-10 mile range and something to make it harder to listen in on(coded) also the base unit needs have capability of 12 volt dc and or 110V and possible listen to short wave and or EMS and weather.
    anything like that around????

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    No.

GMRS base radio with a good antenna up high may do it. No encryption. No shortwave.

CB with big antennas will get that range.

Ham radio will do all that if you have the right equipment, but encryption is not allowed.

The GMRS with privacy codes just keep you from hearing other signals, it does nothing to block yours. If you start encrypting you will be a target by other hams/FCC/DHS.

Be a small fish in a big sea, dont get noticed, but have a plan for when you need it.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    You can run crypto on GMRS if I remember rightly. You just need to buy the gear (ex commercial motorola runs from $500 upwards to $2000 depending on the model). Then factor in keyloading equipment and the connectors and leads, its an expensive business.

I can't count how many thousands I've spent on my Motorola gear.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Or just run crypto on Ham and be done with it (in a SHTF scenario or out in the boonies who cares).*

* not that I would ever condone breaking FCC regulations.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Any scrambling, code or voice inversion on GMRS is against part 95 fcc. Plus the range is so limited why bother with the effort on GMRS.

There are plenty of ways to relay info by radio securely without crypto. My advice is to not do things that draw attention to yourself.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Ok looking for a reliable 5-10 mile range and something to make it harder to listen in on(coded) also the base unit needs have capability of 12 volt dc and or 110V and possible listen to short wave and or EMS and weather.

Yes these radios do exist. They're actually made right here in Indiana. Fort Wayne to be more precise. Not really sure where you could buy them since you can't buy them manufacture direct. The manufacture mainly sells directly to the US government.

If you really don't want people following your conversation, change frequencies often. Say a sentence or two then a code word that signals the other person to change to another frequency you selected before hand.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Yes these radios do exist. They're actually made right here in Indiana. Fort Wayne to be more precise. Not really sure where you could buy them since you can't buy them manufacture direct. The manufacture mainly sells directly to the US government.

If you really don't want people following your conversation, change frequencies often. Say a sentence or two then a code word that signals the other person to change to another frequency you selected before hand.
    This is about the only legal way.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Any scrambling, code or voice inversion on GMRS is against part 95 fcc. Plus the range is so limited why bother with the effort on GMRS.

There are plenty of ways to relay info by radio securely without crypto. My advice is to not do things that draw attention to yourself.

I agree - to be honest most scrambling just brings attention to yourself, but the good digital crypto sounds like white noise to most casual scanner listeners.

I wouldn't reccomend it anyway for most casual radio users.

MURS I think is legal for crypto use - sorry, can't remember all the acronyms :)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You can use the digital data modes on murs. Some of them are pretty obscure. A short message would have a small chance of being decoded.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I have a wouxun handheld radio, $115 ( Wouxun KG-UV3D Dual Band Handheld Amateur Radio - $119.99 ). It will transmit and rcv 2M and 440 band and receive only on many more such as FRS/GMRS Weather, Police, FIre, Amb, Murs, Business Band. Free programming software, but you have to buy the usb cable.

I have a home made J-pole antenna made out of copper water pipe, on which I can reach from Richmond to Connersville, and a Buddiepole which comes apart and rolls up into a bag ( Buddipole™ Package ) which will do the same or better on 5Watts.

I have a friend who made his own directional antenna (Yaggi http://theleggios.net/wb2hol/projects/rdf/tape_bm.htm ) out of pieces of a tape measure and can talk from Whitewatter state park to Richmond on a 5W handheld.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I also have a Wouxan, it is not nearly as robust as my other HT's and the scanning is annoyingly slow but at its price point it is a great radio.

For ease of use and enough power to be flexible I would get a Yaesu FT-1900r, and any SW radio receiver. You can use it as a base radio or in your vehicle. Power it directly to your battery with a fuse on the red lead as close to the battery as possible. Run it inside off a battery with a charger or get a power supply. With a $30 antenna on your roof you can get up 100 miles of range if using repeaters, 20 mile or so with out.

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    ok if we go with a yaesu what hand held will work for us? was facinated by hams 40 years ago and have a lot of catching up to do!!!

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    ok if we go with a yaesu what hand held will work for us? was facinated by hams 40 years ago and have a lot of catching up to do!!!

For a handheld and cheap I would get the FT-270r

Ham Radio Outlet | YAESU FT-270R | 2M 5W HT W FNB-83 & CHARGER

Really solid radio and waterproof. Your range will be greatly increased with an external antenna for your vehicle and home.

Your range will be limited radio to radio without using repeaters though unless you get mobile rig, like the FT-1900r. That radio is also cheap small enough to fit in a a small pelican case and enough power to talk 15-20 miles simplex.

Just pick one and order. PM me when you have it I will help you with programming and setting it up. Once you get one set up you will buy another anyhow. :)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    For reliable 10 mile range the FT-1900r is better. Its small and dead nuts easy to operate. I have set up about 10 of these for friends.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    This is about the only legal way.

There's a radio out there that changes frequency 8 times a second. Unless you have the code to follow the pattern you'll be luck to hear anything. Needless to say it's probably got a hefty price tag on it IF it's been made available to the general public yet.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    There's a radio out there that changes frequency 8 times a second. Unless you have the code to follow the pattern you'll be luck to hear anything. Needless to say it's probably got a hefty price tag on it IF it's been made available to the general public yet.
    It's called spread spectrum. Hams have been doing it for a while. The over the counter version is eXRS they run about $100/pair from amazon and best buy, more if you want the ones that text message each other; with a few fancy toys they're easy to find and track and then listen in on. They jump around a narrow range on the 900mhz band and are analog voice. More private but by no means secure.

It's easy to find modes that are uncommon, but anything other than Part90 use is going to be illegal to scramble, and those FRS bubble pack radios that used to have it have gotten some of the big manufacturers hefty fines. And even "talking in code" is an encrypted transmission according to the FCC. And also remember if SHTF the second you start transmitting, someone with a little practice can start direction finding their way to you.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    It's called spread spectrum. Hams have been doing it for a while. The over the counter version is eXRS they run about $100/pair from amazon and best buy, more if you want the ones that text message each other; with a few fancy toys they're easy to find and track and then listen in on. They jump around a narrow range on the 900mhz band and are analog voice. More private but by no means secure.

The ones I'm referring to are digital. Like I said they're pretty much government use only right now so I imagine they are alot more secure than the ham band radios. Well they haven't been available to the general public that I'm aware of. Also to work where they are manufactured in Fort Wayne, you need a "Secret" security clearance or be able to obtain one.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Morse Code. It's all you need.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

And don't forget you'll need TWO of them, unless you don't need to talk to anyone.

Top Bottom