• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    The one thing I know is that it is a flood control lake. That means if it rains a ton and stays raining, at some point the lake will overtake the road leading into the park. It has happened at least once a year for a while with the exception of a few. I can't comment on camping, but it is a nice boating lake with some good idle zones (they have boat rentals there also).

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    It is a fine place. Pretty clean, has trails, has a lake, bank fishing might not be very productive. Has a beach and rental boats and a camp store.

Has primitive sites. Has RV sites but no sewer at the sites only the dump station. Showers are pretty nice.

They must be doing something good because is somewhat crowded on holiday and peak summer dates.

The dam is pretty cool to visit.

We boat there a lot in the summer and have a mobile home around the corner.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    YES! And it's a short drive to Sugar Creek canoe rentals if you want to do that while you're there.

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I have camped there many times in my Pop Up camper .
    It can get very crowded at times . Campstore is decent ..Bathrooms have been updated .
    One thing ...There are a lot of raccoons and they aren't afraid to come right up to your table...lol

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I always heard that turkey run was better than shades...

Camped at both, Shades is all primitive camping. Turkey Run is a mix of everything. Turkey Run has bigger tent sites while Shades has some real crappy ones. I have a huge tent (13' wide by 18' long) and the first campside we had at the birthday campout wouldn't even fit my tent, let alone two tents. Second site barely fit both. Funny story about Shades, was camping there with friends for my birthday a few years back and on a walk, someone seen a raccoon get a six pack of beer from an picnic table not being watched and take it into the woods.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The hiking is better at Shades. WAY WAY less people, too. T.R. being jam-packed with people really ruins the hiking for me.

Plus, I'm a bit biased. I grew up near Shades and worked there one summer break while in college. Just over 9 miles from the door of the house I grew up in to the main gate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We grew up camping at Racoon. The lake is great for boating mid-week when traffic is low. Weekends it gets pretty crowded.
    Campsites are OK if you pick a good one.
    You have to go online and reserve a spot.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We grew up camping at Racoon. The lake is great for boating mid-week when traffic is low. Weekends it gets pretty crowded.
    Campsites are OK if you pick a good one.
    You have to go online and reserve a spot.

Summer weekend boating, and especially holiday weekends, renders the lake almost unusable. TOO much traffic. TOO much DANGEROUS traffic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Summer weekend boating, and especially holiday weekends, renders the lake almost unusable. TOO much traffic. TOO much DANGEROUS traffic.

We had a slip in the park ramp area for several years. Kept the Party Toon there. 28 Ft Riviera with 80 HP johnson on it if memory serves.
    Kept the speed boat up the hill at relatives trailer. Spent untold hours on the lake. Great times.
    Then the "Personal" water craft became popular and the houses started being built around the lake. Became very much like Gieste res. on the weekends replete with drunken idiots and moroooons.
    This limited the good boating to mid week.
    Camping has always been pretty good there.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    We camp there at least 16-20 days a year. It's a nice campground. Plenty of stuff to do and the fishing is pretty good as well. Lots of stuff to do with in a short drive also.

bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    As others have said it is a nice place but can get crowded on weekends during peak times. The lake management is boom or bust. I have been there when it was flooded and when they drain the lake. When they lower the water it makes the boat ramps and docks/piers unusable.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom