• ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    For squirrel, find a natural blind. Get a good dog that will lay next to you when you sit.

Watch and wait. You'll get a shot as long as they're upwind. The other squirrels will stop -- wait for it -- and shoot another. They'll eventually leave, but not before you've picked off a few.

Let the dog go retrieve them.

Now, if they're on the ground, let the dog tree 'em. The dog should go to the other side of the tree, forcing the squirrel around to you. Wait for it then take your shot.

Josh

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Lazy???? Last hunt we took the dogs on it was 200 yards or more between trees and we made probably 15 trees, you walk that far in the woods chasing a dog and then tell me if it is "lazy"!! :D

But it is the dog doing the hunting. ;)

I'm not opposed to using dogs for hunting but I've never been interested. Letting a dog do all the work doesn't appeal to me. To each his own but I'm sure that's what AZ hunter meant by "lazy."

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Man, I wish I could find a dog that would not only tree em, but find em in the tree (which is not all that easy sometimes), then shoot em out, skin em, and cook em! That would be great!! :):

:D I might start hunting with a dog if I could find one like that as well.

Although, between a dog and a wife I'd have most of that covered anyway.:rofl:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Man, I wish I could find a dog that would not only tree em, but find em in the tree (which is not all that easy sometimes), then shoot em out, skin em, and cook em! That would be great!! :):

It's up to the dog to tree 'em and keep 'em on your side of the tree.

It's up to you to shoot 'em.

The dog should then retrieve the squirrel.

It's up to the wimmin folke to skin 'em out and cook 'em.

Josh

Money17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While out deer hunting I saw hundreds of squirels and bumped a few rabbits. The squirels are out there you just need to out smart them by seeing waht is ahead of you before they get scared and run further up the backside of the tree.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Yeah I have always wanted a good hunting dog but I dont really have a lot of home time with my job and dont have time to train or take care of one.

A lot of the time you don't have to do much training. Nikki retrieves her bowl, and the black Lab's bowl at mealtime. A big appetite helps.

Then I started hiding the bowls around the house. I'd give the command to go find 'em, and I'd point at places for her to look. She was, in effect, hunting.

Took her into the woods -- she stayed by me. You must make sure you're dominant or they'll run. Popped a couple squirrels, took her up to them, said "squirrel" and "take", and she sauntered over and found them.

I made sure she was up on her shots, and after I gutted them, gave her the guts. She now knows squirrel = food and fun, which she gets when she pleases her master. Nothing more a dog could ask for.

Granted, she's one of the easier dogs to train. I have had on/off luck with Abe, the black Lab. He was rescued and indications are that he was abused when the previous owner tried to train him as a bird dog. It's frustrating and slow going. He's an excellent family dog but is scared of nearly all training tactics, techniques and aids I know of.

If you look for a dog with a strong hunting instinct and strong intelligence, the dog should pretty much teach itself by observing you.

Josh

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    Our method for hunting rabbit, is good ole' poor mans Brush Hunting. A few guys with shotguns, walking the woodline near an open field, or an area of woods with trails. Walk along in a wide line and 'call' your shots. Never hunted behind a dog, not sure if I am cut out for it. I guess when you've done something one way your entire life, it can be hard to change.
    AND BTW......Last 2 years running, have reached our bag limit on more than one trip.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    A lot of the time you don't have to do much training.

There may not be all that much training to the "retrieval" part of it, but there is a ton involved in the actual "hunting" part. You can't just tell a dog "squirrel" and expect them to go out, find a track, run the track and tree a squirrel. Once you get that part down, getting the dog to stay treed as you walk in to them is another issue. Not to mention getting a dog to "lead" well (on a leash or lead) and not drag you through the woods, getting them to "load" in the dog box (by themselves with no help, lifting from you). Then there is the running of other animals by the dog, deer, rabbit, coon, possum, whatever the case may be. If I give my house dog enough treats and praise, he will retrieve cat turds out of the litter box and think he is doing a good job!!! If it were easy, everybody would have a squirrel dog. Just my :twocents:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    There may not be all that much training to the "retrieval" part of it, but there is a ton involved in the actual "hunting" part. You can't just tell a dog "squirrel" and expect them to go out, find a track, run the track and tree a squirrel. Once you get that part down, getting the dog to stay treed as you walk in to them is another issue. Not to mention getting a dog to "lead" well (on a leash or lead) and not drag you through the woods, getting them to "load" in the dog box (by themselves with no help, lifting from you). Then there is the running of other animals by the dog, deer, rabbit, coon, possum, whatever the case may be. If I give my house dog enough treats and praise, he will retrieve cat turds out of the litter box and think he is doing a good job!!! If it were easy, everybody would have a squirrel dog. Just my :twocents:

Huh. Maybe training's just natural to me then. I showed her what I wanted her to do, and she did it from the first day on.

Josh

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Huh. Maybe training's just natural to me then. I showed her what I wanted her to do, and she did it from the first day on.

Josh
    It worked the same way when i trained the wife to retrieve, just a few slaps with the rolled newspaper.

Bowhunter, you must be doing it wrong! :D

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Well I went out for about 3 hrs and tried some different tactics and no luck at all not even one today I seen one but could never get a good shot on it maybe my woods are just not populated with very many of them or somthing. Anyone know what to do maybe bait some more into the woods or something

Top Bottom