• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • car53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'm building with a 10.5 barrel. how can I know what my overall length is if i don't have a stock yet? I have a 10.5 that I use for work and the overall is 29.5 if you subtract the added length of the bird cage. Are most Buffer tubes standard?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Can't you just say 5" barrel, then make it any length longer than the SBR you registered to accomplish overall length?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Can't you just say 5" barrel, then make it any length longer than the SBR you registered to accomplish overall length?
    Not supposed to do that anymore.

People used to give a range of lengths.

The ATF just wants to know what length you're building the gun in, they don't care if you change it later, just let them know what it starts life as.

They do appreciate you letting them know if you make permanent changes though. IE, build a 10.5" inch, then buy a 14.5" and sell the 10.5" would be a permanent change.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    OK, so if I filled out my form for a 10.5" and before I got it back I bought a 12" then I should let them know if I intend on keeping it the way that it is, right?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    OK, so if I filled out my form for a 10.5" and before I got it back I bought a 12" then I should let them know if I intend on keeping it the way that it is, right?

First of all, you don't have to let them know, they just appreciate it. Second, I wouldn't do it until after you've been approved. If you send them a letter before your forms are approved, it's not even going to be in the system and they won't know what firearm to apply this "change of configuration" to.

I don't have to engrave lower if I use the manufacturer's serial number, right?
    Still have to engrave it. When you make an SBR, from a Title I receiver, YOU are the MAKER, and therefore you must engrave your information, first and last name cannot be abbreviation, and only common abbreviations can be used for city/state.

You can re-use the same serial number with no need to engrave it because it is already engraved. If you decide to give your SBR a different serial number then you have to engrave that one too, but I don't think anybody would ever do that; there is no reason to do it.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    If you decide to give your SBR a different serial number then you have to engrave that one too, but I don't think anybody would ever do that; there is no reason to do it.

No reason to do it, but I can think of some cool Serial Numbers I could use instead. Like making a personlised license plate - which I enjoy very much :D Friends know its me when they see it :rolleyes:

Top Bottom