• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terrible Ted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    SW OH-IO
    I'm looking to purchase my first handgun soon, and CZ is one of the brands that interests me most. Most of the LGS in my area don't stock anything but Glock, XD, M&P or 1911s, but today I finally had a chance to handle a CZ SP-01 Tactical. I was quite surprised by how small the grip felt (circumference-wise). Since it was in the new gun section, I assume it was bone stock and it appeared to have the standard rubber grips. It was comfortable, but I felt I would need to hold my trigger finger away from the frame to engage the trigger with the pad of my finger, rather than the middle section, which felt more natural. My hands fit most large size gloves almost exactly. My question is, are all CZ 75 grips similar to the SP-01? The SP is not a model I'm really considering, as it's a bit out of my preferred price range and I'd prefer one of their compact models, but I'm curious as to whether the grip size is representative of the 75 line. I've read a lot of comments by CZ owners who consider the stock grips too thick, so I was expecting them to fill up my hand a bit more. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I.It was comfortable, but I felt I would need to hold my trigger finger away from the frame to engage the trigger with the pad of my finger, rather than the middle section, which felt more natural. ..

If I am understanding you correctly; You should be holding your trigger finger away from the frame anyway, you don't want your trigger finger "bicep" pushing against the gun as you press the trigger straight back.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    When straightened, my trigger finger extends to where the pad hits the front of the trigger guard on both the SP01 Phantom and the CZ 75 Compact. The pad finds the trigger just fine when in use.

Terrible Ted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    SW OH-IO
    Yes, the SP01 tactical grip is the same as the other models based on the 75.

Thanks for the response. I've learned a lot about CZs from your posts here and on the CZ forum. I thought the SP was based on the standard 75 frame, but since it's geared more toward competition shooting, I wasn't sure if it was modified for that purpose. I guess after reading numerous forum threads on which CZ grips are thinnest, I just assumed the grip was large to begin with. I did recently find a local range that has a 75B to rent, so I'll be getting some real experience with it as soon as I have the time.

If I am understanding you correctly; You should be holding your trigger finger away from the frame anyway, you don't want your trigger finger "bicep" pushing against the gun as you press the trigger straight back.

To clarify a bit, with the SP I felt I had to hold my trigger finger further out than was comfortable, to the point where it was straining the tendon on the back of my hand. Granted, this was just handling it for a minute while chatting with the guy behind the counter. I'm very new to this, so there are likely many issues I'll need to work out pertaining to proper grip. Your advice is very helpful food for thought, and I'll keep it in mind when I get to the range. Thank you.

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    I'm looking to purchase my first handgun soon, and CZ is one of the brands that interests me most. Most of the LGS in my area don't stock anything but Glock, XD, M&P or 1911s, but today I finally had a chance to handle a CZ SP-01 Tactical. I was quite surprised by how small the grip felt (circumference-wise). Since it was in the new gun section, I assume it was bone stock and it appeared to have the standard rubber grips. It was comfortable, but I felt I would need to hold my trigger finger away from the frame to engage the trigger with the pad of my finger, rather than the middle section, which felt more natural. My hands fit most large size gloves almost exactly. My question is, are all CZ 75 grips similar to the SP-01? The SP is not a model I'm really considering, as it's a bit out of my preferred price range and I'd prefer one of their compact models, but I'm curious as to whether the grip size is representative of the 75 line. I've read a lot of comments by CZ owners who consider the stock grips too thick, so I was expecting them to fill up my hand a bit more. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have very large hands, and the CZ SP-01 is by far the closest thing to a "full" grip compared to every other stock gun I've held(XD,XDm,Glock,M&P......).

Top Bottom