• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Are the square trigger guards more desirable then the rounded trigger guards on these guns? I've found a sweeeeeeeeeeet Tennessee LE trade-in and it has the square trigger guard.

Also, who makes a good after-market magazine? I know about Mec-Gar, but anyone else?

Finally, anyone know a good holster for open carrying this bad boy? I'm thinking shoulder holster but open to suggestions (especially shoulder holster suggestions :cool: ).

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Are the square trigger guards more desirable then the rounded trigger guards on these guns?
    Not especially. Often they are earlier and have less MIM parts, but it becomes individual preference. I personally won't consider buying a square trigger guard 3rd gen... I dislike them that much. Not everyone feels the same way though, since your question is regarding "desirable," no. Most folks on the S&W semi-auto forum tend to prefer the round trigger guards too.

I've found a sweeeeeeeeeeet Tennessee LE trade-in and it has the square trigger guard.
    As long as you like it, that is all that matters.

Also, who makes a good after-market magazine? I know about Mec-Gar, but anyone else?
    Smith and Wesson. :D I know you asked after market, so I have nothing. I got close to a dozen mags for my 4506-1 and four of them are aftermarket that I got for a good deal... they are black, no-name aftermarket. The difference is palpable. Crap. As you noted, Mecgars are fine. Smith mags are available and good though.

Finally, anyone know a good holster for open carrying this bad boy?
    Pick the one you like. The 5906 is is ubiquitous and nearly every holster manufacturer makes one for a 5906. I'm partial to R Grizzle. Get a GOOD belt.

I'm thinking shoulder holster but open to suggestions (especially shoulder holster suggestions :cool: ).

No se.

Good luck!

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    +1 for the smith mags, i have a 5906 and pop gun in indianapolis has mags for 20 used and 30 new. im sure most shops will have them for something around that price. good luck , you'll love it when you get it

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    paddling_man speaks the truth, Mecgar or factory only. I personally like the square trigger guards on 6906's but not the larger 5900 series.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have owned several Smith semis, some round, some square. I like both. If you are a push/pull kind of guy go for the square, if not, don't. Saving a couple of bucks on after-market mags is not advisable. Get quality that you can depend on to work. I have made this mistake before, never again. The 5906 is a fantastic, if somewhat heavy, firearm. They are hard to beat for reliability. But, I warn you, S&W semis are addictive. Get one and you will be in the market for more.

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    I do not believe the round or square trigger guard will make a dollars difference in value

I personally like the rounded guard.

Here's a picture of a S&W 5906 that I bought frim CDNN

SW59069mm.jpg

They are on sale for $299

They are police trade in's

Mine is in fine conditon IMHO

Here is the link to their website.

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

:cool:

Top Bottom