• JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    First a few questions for discussion:
    1: Will this be your first high capacity mag feed semi auto rifle?
    2: Do you have another center fire rifle (i.e. a bolt action 243, 308 etc.)
    3: Do you have a repeating shotgun for use at home?
    4: Do you have a handgun for use at home of "reasonable" caliber.
    5: Do you tend to trade guns often or keep for many years?
    6: Have you fired an AR15 and AK47 (semi) before and if so to any extent?
    7: How often due to tend to go shooting and at what range?
    8: Do you enjoy shooting paper, plinking tin cans or blasting dirt?
    9: If you are shooting on paper what is a "marginal" group?
    10: Do you shoot 3 gun matches or intend to start?
    --------------------------------------------------
    A few random notes on buying a semi auto mag fed rifle. Since you lead with home defense as the reason for the rifle, then shooting and end up with several shall we say "worst case" or at least "not a good day" reasons, figured would address the lead two items first. For home defense in many locations in Indiana (i.e. with neighbors ;-) a lot can be said for a good pump shotgun for use at home (I tend to lean towards the Rem 870 myself after shooting them for nearly 40 years, however, have also played with the Mossberg 590A1 and a few semi's) backed up with a good handgun in a reasonable caliber (i.e. 38 special to something less than full loaded 44 Mag). Once you have the shotgun and handgun for home defense then one could consider a semi auto mag fed rifle for a little additional depth or if the neighbor / lot size (i.e. many acres) indicate then the rifle makes a good "farm" rifle. Reason for going into the home defense discussion is that this effects the choice greatly as one needs to keep the rifle size and weight down to allow easy handling. Thus if "inside" home defense is the primary reason, would go with either an AR15 16" carbine or myself like my semi AK47 as being a little faster handling (myself tend to not keep a round in the chamber on the long guns as they are backup and the AK47 is faster for me to charge). Bottom line is shoot what ever you are interested in first and see how you like it. Should be someone here that would like to go shooting if you show up with a couple hundred rounds of good factory ammo (i.e. one round for the owner and one round for you always works ;-).

For shooting a lot depends on what you wish to shoot and what other rifles you have. In the long run for an AR15 would recommend having two uppers (or two guns), one a 16" carbine of fairly light weight with iron sights and maybe a red dot upper (in your price ran start with a quality iron sighed AR15, maybe with a flat top) and a moderate weight flattop AR15 rifle with a scope. If you are going to be shooting past 200 yards then go with the rifle, if you can address you home defense needs. However, a nice bolt 308 gun with a scope works better ;-).

If you plan on shooting 3 gun matches, then let that drive you choice ... maybe at a higher price ;-).

For most of the "really bad days" any military mag fed semi auto rifle with a dozen loaded mags should work well enough for a single armed person (lots of tactical issues with being one lone shooter). Note there are many "bad days" where someone will not allow you to carry a long gun in the open (check Katrina stories) so make sure you also have a good quality mag fed hand gun (it hides easier ;-)

More later

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Yeah my plan as it stands is to save money go to Bradis see what I can get. In the meantime I'm doing as much research as my time allows, and what do you mean by me being late to the game? I'm only 23 just got into gun ownership last year when I got my Mosin.....:n00b:

Last election the rifle and ammo prices went through the roof due to "election fear" which this time around might happen again (try mail ordering 223 ammo ;-).

Another option is to shop the use market, should be able to pick up something for a few dollars less and possible with a few extra accessories / upgrades. For the price the AK47 has the advantage, goes nicely with the Mosin and can be a good gun (of course the answer is get both ;-). Other options include a FAL (308), some of the HK clones and one could always go a little bit wild and get a Short Barreled Rifle (some down side for primary home defense).

I would recommend making a five year plan, buy quality, decide what you want and then jump on any great deals from friends and fellow shooters.

v33kp_rt_side_with_hk_pdw_stock_closed_and_sear.jpg

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Why do I shoot ARs?

1. The ammo is one of the most common centerfire cartridges in the US.
    2. 22lr conversion kits for cheap practice / training my kids.
    3. Breaks in half for discrete transport / trunk storage.
    4. They can be lightweight and handy, or heavy and accurate.
    5. You can toss an extra 30 round mag in your back pocket, because the ammo is lightweight.

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    First a few questions for discussion:
    1: Will this be your first high capacity mag feed semi auto rifle?
    2: Do you have another center fire rifle (i.e. a bolt action 243, 308 etc.)
    3: Do you have a repeating shotgun for use at home?
    4: Do you have a handgun for use at home of "reasonable" caliber.
    5: Do you tend to trade guns often or keep for many years?
    6: Have you fired an AR15 and AK47 (semi) before and if so to any extent?
    7: How often due to tend to go shooting and at what range?
    8: Do you enjoy shooting paper, plinking tin cans or blasting dirt?
    9: If you are shooting on paper what is a "marginal" group?
    10: Do you shoot 3 gun matches or intend to start?
    --------------------------------------------------

1. Yep, the only firearm I own right now is a Mosin Nagant 91/30.
    2. See number 1.
    3. Again, no.
    4. No, but since I'm living at home right for college now it's kinda neat my Mom does have a Glock and a Rossi Ranch hand :D. Not mine but I know how to use em.
    5. Keep for many years. I'm low budget due to college and even if I wasn't I only plan on buying guns I want to collect (milsurps) or use (a few rifles and 1 or 2 pistols). I'd only plan on selling or trading to (A) upgrade to a better rifle or (B) sell part of my collection for ammo. But in both instances that would be rare.
    6. I fired an AR once thanks to a nice fellow at the range. I fired two different AK's at the range, one was a MAK 90 the other a SLR 107F, again thanks to another nice guy at the range (different days though). Personally I liked the AK's better it felt more natural in my hands, but the AR felt good too.
    7. Well since all I have to shoot is a Mosin I try to go 1-2 times every other month, but I'm trying to save as much as I can for this rifle so I'm not going to the range till I get the new rifle, on which time I plan on going 2-3 times a month or more. I shoot at the Wilbur Wright range in New Castle.
    8. Only shot paper so far, I want to shoot the others though :D
    9. All over the place, new shooter and I need more practice.
    10. No, right now I'm not really looking into competition too much.

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Salty Possum

What other mil surplus rifles are on your short list, another option is a M1 carbine and get a M1 grand later.

Sounds like you need more range time with both the AR15 and AK47 .... is Old Trails in Richmond IN with in reasonable driving distance for you?

Take Care

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Salty Possum

What other mil surplus rifles are on your short list, another option is a M1 carbine and get a M1 grand later.

Sounds like you need more range time with both the AR15 and AK47 .... is Old Trails in Richmond IN with in reasonable driving distance for you?

Take Care

Other Milsurps on my short list are the Lee Enfield and M1 Carbine. Richmond isn't too bad a drive, why?

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Other Milsurps on my short list are the Lee Enfield and M1 Carbine. Richmond isn't too bad a drive, why?

One could make a case for the M1 Carbine instead of the AR15, not as good of rifle at a distance, ammo is more expensive but would fill the slot now for a carbine feed rifle if you were getting the M1 Carbine anyway.

I am a member of Old Trails and can take a guest, most day's less traffic than the public ranges.

Bottom line is get what ever you really want, as one ends up getting that in the long run and easier to just start with the rifle(s) you are after.

Also consider what you wish for a handgun as everything is interdependent.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've got an AR & an M1A & an SKS.
    For your stated purposes I'd go with the SKS (and use the $'s you don't spend on lots of ammo).
    I'm going to sell my AR when I get around to it, to me the SKS is more fun and more reliable. Would probably sell the M1A before the SKS but it would hurt either way.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I've got an AR & an M1A & an SKS.
    For your stated purposes I'd go with the SKS (and use the $'s you don't spend on lots of ammo).
    I'm going to sell my AR when I get around to it, to me the SKS is more fun and more reliable. Would probably sell the M1A before the SKS but it would hurt either way.

Guess one could say the SKS is battle proven (note I am just short of 60 ;-) and for the $69 in the old days was a great buy ... now days is just a really good buy.

Take Care

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    After some consideration I'm going to save up for an AR and get it this september, I looked at DPMS and I like the lower price but I've read mixed review on em. I also like the M&P rifles. What are your thought's INGO? (Remember new guy on a budget so if you hate these 2 brands don't get on me for it lol)

Last edited:

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    After some consideration I'm going to save up for an AR and get it this september, I looked at DPMS and I like the lower price but I've read mixed review on em. I also like the M&P rifles. What are your thought's INGO? (Remember new guy on a budget so if you hate these 2 brands don't get on me for it lol)

i have the m&p15 sporter. Amazing gun. From what i have heard, mine is the tempermental one and will not eat steel ammo. The only one i have heard not taking steel ammo. It has no forward assist or dust cover but more than likely you will never need them. I love it. I dont think i will ever get rid of it. Mostly because it does everything well but also because it was my first AR15. :twocents:

good price as well.

jjohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    I have a DPMS. I gave $700 out the door for the basic carbine model. I love this gun. It is super easy to shoot and loads of fun at the range.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a friend, and I tok him to Bradis, and Mark fixed him up with a Spikes Tactical, and HE is VERY Pleased with it ...

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I'll be saving money over the summer to buy a rifle for home defense/shooting/WROL/SHTF blah blah blah. I've thought about AK and while it's still in my mind I'm also looking into an AR as an option, now onto my questions (keep in mind I'm a newbie). First, what is a good quality brand that isn't over a $1,000? I'm thinking Stag, but if you got any other recommendations/comments on brands I can use help in selection. Secondly should I get a carbine or rifle length AR? Third, you got any books or sources to recommend to me about the AR-15 weapons system? Finally, I'd like to hear your reasons why I should choose a AR for the purposes I listed (please don't turn this into an AR vs AK thread :starwars:)
    Any other advice or what have you that you are willing to help me with would be great. :ingo:

You can buy serval rifles in that range that will serve your purpose such as Colt, Stag, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. At the end of the day I would research gun shops to find out who's going to be the most fair. Now I am not telling you to price shop, you can get a good price and bad service....trust me, been there done that. I am asking to to find the perfect balance though. A fair price and a staff that is willing to educate you.

My shop of choice tough me tons over the past 16yrs, and I have rewarded them by driving by the Big Box Stores to buy their ammo, slings, scopes, etc. If they can cut me a better deal they do. In a few cases I have even bought a firearm, then found out that I hated it, and they gave a trade in that was more then fair. I know that other shops would have taken that opportunity to get me for several hundreds of dollars or 25-40% of the cost of the gun.

To sum it up, decide what you think looks good, feel great in your hands, and is priced in your range, and then pull the trigger.(No PUN intended)

Good LucK and Happy Plinking!
    :ar15::ar15::twocents:

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    My first AR was a DPMS Sportical.
    It's an entry level gun, no forward assist or dust cover, but operates 100% & is accurate.

I'm not saying my DPMS is as good or accurate as more expensive AR's, just for the price point I got a decent gun.
    It's got my feet wet so to speak in the AR world.

That said my 2nd AR, my PWA Commando A2 is noticeably (to me) a more quality gun.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I just picked up a Stag M2. I've not had a chance to get to the range yet, I may try to get to Wilbur tomorrow morning.

The rifle has a twist rate of 1/9 but it is chrome lined. The castle nut is staked and the gas key stake looks ok (but could be better).

I paid $735.00 and it came with one 30 round aluminum mag and a hard case.

You can see some photos of the internals here.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom