• ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'm at my 4th match now...having fun, trying to learn. Couple of questions

1) What score numbers should I use match to match to know if I'm improving? I am guessing hit factor? How do I look from match to match and look for a general trend of improving over time?
    2) Is there a penalty if you overshoot a target? I missed one yesterday...was wondering if there's a penalty for having 4 holes in the target vs the required 2(in a normal stage). I guess another way to ask is 'is putting 4 holes in one worse than missing one per the scoring method?

Thanks,

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    I'm no expert, but...
    1.) Scoring is done by hit factor and you are compared to the other shooters in your division. "Good" hit factors will vary from stage to stage, so a hit factor of 7 might be great on a certain stage, but not so good on another. I'm about the same experience level that you are at, and I try to focus on not getting Mikes. They kill your score. "Get your hits and speed will come with experience" is the advice I usually get from more experienced shooters. Too many A's (unless you are really flying) typically means that you are shooting too slow and you may be able to speed up a bit. Too many C's, D's and M's means you need to slow down a bit and get your hits. As far as trends for improving over time, I look at my stage and match %'s compared to the top shooters to see if I'm getting any closer to the top.
    2.) No penalty for overshooting targets, unless its a Virginia count stage. Virginia count specifies the # of rounds per target, and there are severe penalties for going over. On field stages, they will score your best 2 hits if there is more than 2. In general, it is better to "overshoot" targets than it is to leave a "Mike". Once you get some experience, you will be able to "call your shots", which means that you will know when you've missed and can squeeze off another round very quickly.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would look at your points % for the match. I try to be around 90% of points at the end of the day. If I'm higher that that (rarely, lol) I know I was probably shooting too conservatively. If I'm lower than that, I was rushing and being sloppy with my sights and I gave away too many points. Hit factors are individual per stage so looking at general hit factors from one match to another won't tell you anything. Just try to eliminate any penalties as those will cost you a ton. Mikes, No-Shoots, procedurals etc. General trends, you can look at finishing place but again, that can be subject to the match, who shows up, etc. You could finish 5th out of 9 one day then shoot way better the next and finish 9th out of 13 because a bunch of M and GM shooters showed up that day.

Unless the stage specified "Virginia Count", usually limited to classifiers but not always, you are not "penalized" for shooting more than 2 holes in the target. Now, by doing so, you are wasting time which is lowering your Hit Factor, so its not a great idea to do it on every target, but if you need a makeup shot, do it. Now, if you completely miss a target, that's bad. You lose the potential 10 points (2 A hits) you could have gotten, plus you get (2) -10s for the 2 mikes on target. If the RO knows you blew past it and never shot at it, you'll also get a -10 procedural for Failing To Engage. So yea, don't miss any targets, lol.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So looking at my results...I am in the 25ish% range for points. Looks like I need to slow down and concentrate on hitting targets. I had a bunch of misses and a couple of NS's.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Really it is a mix between speed and accuracy. Honestly......don't even look at your scores for the first 30 matches.....yeah right!

My thought process is to start is take your time, get your hits first so you are not zeroing out, then work on speeding it up a little at a time until you figure out that you are either going to fast or to slow. Get the fundamentals down and dry fire practice, and dry fire practice some more! Its amazing how much time people (Me included) take to draw, get a good sight picture, and perform a reload. The classifier stages pit you up nationally, so thats how I can tell if I am improving or not. Chris Keen has a classifier book that you can keep track of you classifier scores, it is handy!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206173200952366&set=pcb.10206173204112445&type=3&theater

they are like 20 bucks, and well worth it! But, mainly just practice and get out to matches as much as you can, and have fun.....eventually it all comes together!

As far as shooting the target more then required, that depends on if it is a Comstock or Virginia Count stage. On a Comstock stage you can make up shots with no penalty, but on a Virginia count you will get a procedural penalty of 10 points for each extra shot fired.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    best way to track progress is look at your finish as a % of a few of the top dogs, and compare that week to week. has to be the same top dogs to be useful. and there will be outlier weeks (eg top dogs' gun malfunctions, etc). Classifier % is another good way, but more of a big picture / average.

No penalty for extra shots in a field course. If a standard course or classifier is scored Virginia count or fixed time, then you are penalized for both extra shots taken and extra hits on paper.

-rvb

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I gauge against the top shooter. A great match for me is 80-90% of winner at the end. This5 is well within my abilities of a fat, slow footed, B shooter that doesn't dry fire or practice.

I look at my time compared to stage winner. Sometimes I'll be within 1-3 seconds but total stage points may suffer (too many c's and d's will kill your performance)

Concentrate on your fundamentals and shoots As as fast as you can

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I've been shooting USPSA for 4 years and going into season 5. This is my second year of trying to be a great shooter. I use Stoegers books for both dry and live fire.

I look at the overall and I look at how I did in my division and usually on classifier unless I stunk it up. My goal is to win matches or be as close to winning as possible. I don't spend time thinking about who beat me. I do occasionally look at the stats of people who I consider even with me as far as performance. I also look at my scores based on the people who shoot my division and are STEADY shooters I.e. master and GM type shooters. That gives me a bit of a gauge but all of the above has human factor involved. I prefer to walk away from a match saying to myself that my indexing is getting better or I'm moving faster and still nailing the A's or whatever the improvement are. My real gauge is shooting the dry fire and live fire excercises that work the areas where I feel I need to get better. I track par times and I try to push them down. That is my gauge. That's where I think I can really notice my improvement. Doing this guarantees you walking away from matches feeling stronger.

The problem with looking at results is that the level of competition can always be different. You may be a C shooter who hits 80% on a weekend and then be bummed when you go back down the C shooting. That kind of thing bums me out so I don't consider it anymore.

Improvement happens inside you. Spend your time focusing on your improvement and let the results of matches give you an IDEA of how much your improving.

We have a USPSA practice at ACC on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday's of the month at Atlanta Conservation Club. Check the website for information.

Good Luck!

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I also forgot to add that USPSA is about little improvements, the ones that buy you a quarter second. All those little improvements on each stage can add up to a lot of time over the course of a match...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom