Questions about Coyotes. Several near my house!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am on the North side of Indy, just inside of 465. There is a large building with no occupants, and I've been told there is a pack of Coyotes living on the property. I can see this building from my house. I drove by today and saw several tracks through the snow, and a few sets looked like there was only one set of paw prints. I've been told that fox's walk with one foot in front of the other, and make that pattern. Do coyotes do the same?

Also, I have two dogs, a border collie and a french bulldog/pug mix (ugly as sin). My back yard has a 4 ft fence, and I already know that will not stop them. The dogs go outside every night around 2:00-3:00 to do thier business. Will a coyote attack a dog the size of a border collie? If I go outside with the pug mix, will a coyote attack with me close by?

I can't shoot them inside of Marion Co, so is there any good way to trap them, and destroy them elsewhere? They have been seen by others in the neighborhood, so I know that they're nearby.

Thank you for the replies in advance.

rev500ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Royal Center
    call your local animal control or conservation officer and report the problem make sure to state your concerns and see if they do anything about it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i think animal control would be your safest (most legal) option..... now, if you are protecting yourself or your pets, i dont think anyone would have much of a problem... i think a 12 gauge would work fine, provided you have a safe backdrop... dont quote me on that though because if they wanted to be dicks about it, they would still probably file charges.... personally though i think yotes are pretty scared animal so as long as you have some lighting and make some noise you should be fine... if you do see them approaching, i dont think it would take much to just scare them away.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i think animal control would be your safest (most legal) option..... now

Thanks for the replies guys. One of the neighbors called animal control and they said thet coyotes are not their problem and to call DNR. DNR said that they're not going to do anything about it, but if you feel threatened by oneon your property, you can shoot it. :rolleyes: I live inside of 465 and have apartmenmts right behind my house. I'm not taking a chance on getting my handgun license revoked, let alone worse from the Police. I think I will do a little more looking around at this place to see what I can find.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am on the North side of Indy, just inside of 465. There is a large building with no occupants, and I've been told there is a pack of Coyotes living on the property. I can see this building from my house. I drove by today and saw several tracks through the snow, and a few sets looked like there was only one set of paw prints. I've been told that fox's walk with one foot in front of the other, and make that pattern. Do coyotes do the same?

Also, I have two dogs, a border collie and a french bulldog/pug mix (ugly as sin). My back yard has a 4 ft fence, and I already know that will not stop them. The dogs go outside every night around 2:00-3:00 to do thier business. Will a coyote attack a dog the size of a border collie? If I go outside with the pug mix, will a coyote attack with me close by?

I can't shoot them inside of Marion Co, so is there any good way to trap them, and destroy them elsewhere? They have been seen by others in the neighborhood, so I know that they're nearby.

Thank you for the replies in advance.

Only believe half of what you see and none of what "I've been told there is ..."

Don't worry about it. If this is the big worry you have right now you are a lucky guy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i was running some beagle pups a couple years ago and they jummped a coyote. he ran a few yards and stopped and stared at the dogs and they stared at him. at the time i was back 75 yds and could see the whole thing. when i started running up there the coyote took off so i doubt they would attack your dog with you there but its not impossible.

on a side note that is the last time i went anywhere on our farm without a gun. usually a ar but if im lazy i take a sig.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    If you're worried seriously enough to be willing to take DIY action, you can get a 'coyote-sized' live trap at a Rural King store for about $80.00. The only thing DNR will do (at least in our district) is offer to give you a list of people in your area to call who'll do it for you at considerably more expense.

Updated: Checked at the Rural King website and got an unpleasant surprise. The 17"x25"x55" live trap I saw must've been on sale or a clearance item at that store, as they now list for $159.99! SKU is 075500027.

Last edited:

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    My sister has the same problem. She lives on the south side by Hill Valley West subdivision over by Perry Meridian HS. Neighbor to her west has a wood shed and a fox had a litter of pups there this summer. Also has had two coyotes in her back yard. She's afraid to let her cats run around (I figured it would be great fun to watch a coyote get a cat...). She called animal control, they said call DNR. She called DNR, they said call the sheriff. She called the sheriff (now IMPD). they said call animal control. Nobody wants to take responsibility for controlling the 'yotes except us hunters, and we can't do it because of firearm laws.
    Anyway, I left a .22 down there with her, she knows how to shoot that and will... Best advice we were given is to shoot it, and say it was attacking the cat, so we were saving a domestic animal.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Contact Eric Lowe with hoosierwildlifecontol.com, he specializes in coyote problems. He may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    A healthy single coyote won't attack a border collie. But if they pack up they will (3 or more). If they get sick or extremely hungry they will do anything, just like you or me. Coyotes usually are timid animals and eat rabbits, mice, rats, etc. Keep your trash locked tight, don't leave out any dog food or anything else for them to eat. They scavenge. Contact Eric Lowe with hoosierwildlifecontol.com. Good Luck.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Only believe half of what you see and none of what "I've been told there is ..."

Don't worry about it. If this is the big worry you have right now you are a lucky guy.

+1 to that. If there really is a family of coyotes out there you don't have much anything to worry about, unless the very unlikely chance one is sick. Since as long as I can remember there have been coyotes yelping in the woods behind my parents house, with many being seen from time to time, and for the 30+ years they have lived there with numerous different dogs and cats they let freely roam about, none ever came up missing.

Last edited:

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    +1 to that. If there really is a family of coyotes out there you don't have much anything to worry about, unless the very unlikely chance one is sick. Since as long as I can remember there have been coyotes yelping in the woods behind my parents house, with many being seen from time to time, and for the 30+ years they have lived there with numerous different dogs and cats they let freely roam about, none ever came up missing.

My parents live by Brownsburg HS and said that they have heard of several small pets being taken off by coyotes. My Uncles said that his ex-wife had her dog taken from her back yard when she let it out at night to do it's business. My daughter will freak if her ugly pug/mixed dog becomes 'yotechow. I'm just trying to prevent this from happening.

WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    Gamo air rifle with a well placed shot will take care of your problem.....and no one will hear it....

+1 - Thats actually a really good idea. I listen to the predator hunting talkcast on itunes and they had this entire show with this guy from Indiana who hunts coyote with air rifles.

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    I have a medium sized dog that runs my 5 acreas in southern Indiana, I have fox and coyotes in the yard ALL the time and I even trap and call some there. Only problem I have had with a wild animal was a skunk spraying her.

Top Bottom