• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markz68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Connersville, IN
    I have just purchased my first two guns. A Glock 27 and a Ruger Mark II.

I now need a gun cleaning kit. Is it best to buy a ready-made kit or assemble one myself?

If buying one, are there kits that are recommended?

If assembling one myself, what items are necessary/recommended?

Any must-have items? Any items to stay away from?

I googled for a guide to putting together a kit, but didn't have much luck.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There are a lot of experts here who will have advice and opinions. The G27 was the first firearm I ever owned, so congratulations on that. :yesway:

I have only used Hoppe's 9 solvent on mine since it was new. I've put a few thousand rounds through it and it still looks like new.

I say put together a little kit with supplies you can even buy from Walmart:

1) Hoppe's No. 9 solvent
    2) Cotton rags
    3) Hoppe's Lubricating Oil
    4) My Glock came with a little brush to clean the inside of the barrel.

I go by the recommendation that I once received that it's better to not have it all wet or oiled up. The oil collects dirt and grime. I use a drop on each of the four (4) slide rails on then wipe some of it off even.

Just my :twocents:...

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Hoppes

I recommend one of the Hoppes Clamshells to start. You get a cleaning rod, brushes, hoppes 9 solvent, hoppes lubricting oil. Then order a utility brush or two and some extra cleaning patches and you're good to go for a long time. Plus it's a cheap way to get into it. The link I posted is the cheapest place I have found them. Enjoy your new toys.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I was told not to use any oil on the glock as it tends to run everywhere and collect dirt and other bad things. I was told that the only lubrication needed on the glock was shooters choice (or other high quality gun grease) grease in the slide channels, skipping the ejector port section. I was also told by the Glock Doc (glock armorer) that the only cleaning kit needed for the glock was unscented baby wipes and a brush. I do tend to uses hoppes in the barrel and follow up with an oil patch.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I started with a hoppes cleaning kit then have added to it.

carbonfiber cleaning rod
    brass bore brushes
    old t-shirts for rags
    tooth brush
    hoppes oil
    hopps solvent
    gun scrubber that is polysafe
    CPL
    q-tips
    cotton patches
    I also have a pen point oiler to apply oil in all the right places.

for my Ruger MKIII I don't use any cleaning rods to clean the barrel. I use a piece of weedeater trimmer line. On one end I cut a point and the other I melt so the patch will not fall off the line as I pull it through the barrel.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I've always had good luck with the Hoppes products, but I also like Pro-Shot rods. You will find a good display of them at the 1500.
    A lube that I like is Remington DriLube, it's Teflon and doesn't collect dirt.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    AP brush
    Some sort of oil (there are lots of expensive trendy ones with fancy names that don't do any more than the others, or you can go with Break Free or Hoppes.)
    Bore snake
    T-shirt.

troy96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Nice guns, if I were you I would have purchased the Advantage Arms .22 conversion for the G27.

The Glock runs great dirty, so dont expect to have to clean it more often than every 1k rounds, if that. As stated before, dont over oil it, your better off with no oil than a little too much. I like to use CLP on my Glocks more than any other cleaners od lubes. One step cleaning and lube.

Happy shooting.

markz68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Connersville, IN
    Nice guns, if I were you I would have purchased the Advantage Arms .22 conversion for the G27.

The Glock runs great dirty, so dont expect to have to clean it more often than every 1k rounds, if that. As stated before, dont over oil it, your better off with no oil than a little too much. I like to use CLP on my Glocks more than any other cleaners od lubes. One step cleaning and lube.

Happy shooting.

I thought about the AA .22 conversion, but isn't it back-ordered everywhere? I would like to get 9mm & .357 kits/barrels for the G27 eventually. Gotta save up some more now. Between paying for the LTCH, joining the NRA, buying two guns, buying some ammo for the Glock, buying a range bag, buying hearing protection, and buying a couple of magazines for the Ruger, I am almost all tapped out. I still have to buy cleaning supplies and some ammo for the Ruger. Plus I still have to join the range in January.

No one warned me that was such an expensive hobby!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom