• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Hello to all! I am in the market for a snub nose revolver in 38+ or 357 and wish to ask for help on a good CCW. I am not looking for a lightweight space age revolver, but a good old fashion 5 or 6 round steel frame. I do like the Ruger GP101, but have held a few other brands (Taurus / S&W).

Thank you for your help in advance.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I EDC an XD40sc, but I have a soft spot for wheels. A Tarus 617 was my first handgun and I still love to shoot it. A 7 shot 2" barrel ported with a bobed hammer. Its my nightstand gun but I still shoot it as often as I can.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    the GP100 is a great gun, I also like the SP101.

I own a Taurus 85 that I have been more than happy with and I just picked up a S&W 442 this week. Love a good wheelgun! :D

There are many good choices out there. The reason I went with the S&W 442 was for an alternate carry gun. I wanted an internal hammer on a revolver for carry. Good luck with your decision.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have both the model 36 smith and the Charter Arms "Undercover" model, both are .38 special. They will shoot plenty accurate with practice. I had a 3" Ruger SP101 (.357) that was very accurate but between the bigger frame and longer barrel, was harder to carry in a pocket, and I never found an ankle holster to work for it. Either way, you cannot go wrong with the American products.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    How big are you willing to go? If you're willing to step into a k-frame, there is none better than the model 66 snub. In same frame, a model 10 is great. A little bigger and it's 686 all the way.

The older the better with all these.

If you need smaller, the best recommendation I can give is, indeed, a space-age metal gun- the M&P 340. Also, all steel model 60s are excellent.:twocents:

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Pretty much any jframe is good. so are the 605 and 85 by taurus. I actually have a really nice and rare 642 up in the classifieds as well as a stainless 605. Both are great shooters but i dont need them so they are up. I will say most snubbies sting like a mfr though with the hot loads. even my ported one does but not as much. rubber grips do help though but i find the grab my clothing to much.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    For a comfortable EDC I would recommend a Colt Detective Special, Cobra or Agent. The Colts are small and handy but still carry 6 rounds. The S&W J Frames, Model 36, 60, etc, are a little smaller but still good options, although they only carry 5 rounds. I often carry my Colt Det Special and feel adequately armed with 6 rounds of .38 Special +P. :twocents:

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a few wheel guns a S&W model 10 (4in), Dan Wesson 15 (8in & 4in), and a ported Taurus 44mag in a (3in). As you can see I do have a few, but none that are ideal for a summer CC like a snub nose.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    For a comfortable EDC I would recommend a Colt Detective Special, Cobra or Agent. The Colts are small and handy but still carry 6 rounds. The S&W J Frames, Model 36, 60, etc, are a little smaller but still good options, although they only carry 5 rounds. I often carry my Colt Det Special and feel adequately armed with 6 rounds of .38 Special +P. :twocents:

I agree, my old Colt Cobra is an easy carry, very accurate, and easy to shoot well in .38 special.

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I second the vote for the S&W 640. The stainless version is one of the heaviest of the snubbies, but that weight is an asset to me. The recoil is far more manageable due to that weight. I feel far more confident carrying a gun that I comfortably and regularly practice with, with self defense loads. Carrying a lightweight CCW that causes me to cringe when I fire self defense loads makes little sense to me. I know exactly what is going to happen when I pull the trigger every time, a hole where I intended with very mild recoil. I carry SOB (small of back), and the weight simply is not an issue at all. It sounds like you have others to shoot to satisfy your wheel gun pleasure shooting with. If searching for a CCW that can be a pleasure to shoot, and conceal well, this one has worked well for me.

hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I regularly carry a Taurus 650 CIA in 357 mag. its a 5 shot hammerless and I absolutely love it. It's not the lightest by any means but I've had it for about 8 years now and never ever had a problem with it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a S&W model 60 and 642 with Crimson Trace grips. I have an older Charter Arms Undercover. For daily carry, the 642 cannot be beat. The S&W model 60 is a nice gun (I removed the hammer spur) for shooting and holster carry. The CA is a very nice gun for the money and I have it with me much of the time. If I could have only one, I'd take the S&W model 642.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    J frames (442) are airweight style, 38 spec is good for pocket carry, or holster. You can install a "hip grip" and not use a holster at all. Hammerless is also a great option. Eliminates snagging on draw. Yes, do practice a bit before carrying, as shooting them is not like a Glock, or 1911A. I do carry a 5 shot speedloader in my off carry pocket. You can still find Colts if you look hard enough. Good Luck.

Top Bottom