• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    Anyway I have never really got a solid answer on this subject, I have heard to "manufacture" a fully automatic, you had to be a registered FFL dealer with a class III license, has anyone here done this or have any input? Also when the weapon is "manufactured" It will be listed with the BATF and what kind of blackmail stamp would be associated with this. Just wondering I would like to know and everything I read seems to read different. Anyway thanks for any info!:D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think since the 1980's you cannot make your own anymore but I am most likely the worst to answer. SBR. AOW and cans yes full auto no.

Do not take my word on this I most likely should not have answered as I am just a class III rookie. I remember the law change in the 1980's and thought that why everyone was getting them then.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    To build a new machinegun you have to be a FFL/SOT with a manufacturers SOT.

You register it as a Post Dealer Sample and it may only be sold to other SOT's or Government Agencies. It will never be owned by an individual and no tax stamp will ever be paid for it because SOT's pay a yearly NFA tax and government agencies don't pay NFA tax.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    What happens when say you do no re-up your FFL license and manufacturer license? Do you have to sell the weapon? I have heard it was expensive for the manufacturer license like $1000.00 a year?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    What happens when say you do no re-up your FFL license and manufacturer license? Do you have to sell the weapon? I have heard it was expensive for the manufacturer license like $1000.00 a year?

Yes, you have to give it to ATF, sell it to a SOT or Govt. agency or Demill all your Post-86 DS's.

I think your correct on the $1k a year. I only have a dealers SOT which is $500 a year.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    I had a feeling that's how it worked, so you can't get all your license's for one year build a fully auto piece and be done with it, gotta love legal blackmail! I should have become a Gunsmith! that really sucks!:xmad:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had a feeling that's how it worked, so you can't get all your license's for one year build a fully auto piece and be done with it, gotta love legal blackmail! I should have become a Gunsmith! that really sucks!:xmad:

You can thank the Hughes Amendment to the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act which banned the manufacture of transferable machine guns. The supply is permanently fixed now and the prices reflect that.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You could build a hk clone and install a registered full auto trigger pack.it's kind of like making your own. :)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I remember the1985 pre ban days at the gun show and the run up of full auto tommy and sten guns. I thought that no more could be made. the 5000 tommy is now worth much more. Much more.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Yes, you have to give it to ATF, sell it to a SOT or Govt. agency or Demill all your Post-86 DS's.

I think your correct on the $1k a year. I only have a dealers SOT which is $500 a year.

Well, it's quite a price tag, but with a few sales, surely that cost can be re-cooped?

So, if one were to apply for the proper type of FFL and register as an SOT, and pay the fee, and make an NFA weapon in accordance with the ATF's requirements, and sells it legally to another SOT/G.M. agency/gives it to ATF, is there another fee paid to the ATF for the transferrance, or is that sum covered by the yearly fee?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    You can thank the Hughes Amendment to the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act which banned the manufacture of transferable machine guns. The supply is permanently fixed now and the prices reflect that.

Wasn't the Hughes Amendment pretty much snuck in at the last minute on that?

Boo on shady legislative dealings. :noway:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Well, it's quite a price tag, but with a few sales, surely that cost can be re-cooped?

So, if one were to apply for the proper type of FFL and register as an SOT, and pay the fee, and make an NFA weapon in accordance with the ATF's requirements, and sells it legally to another SOT/G.M. agency/gives it to ATF, is there another fee paid to the ATF for the transferrance, or is that sum covered by the yearly fee?

No tax is paid if the transfer is between two SOT's (dealer or manufacturer) or between SOT & govt.

Top Bottom